2022/23 Dele Alli

Status
Not open for further replies.

@Nymzee I think this is accurate

Its crazy Mike how people don't seem to understand what a great loan deal we have with Dele.

Just like when Kenwright says "and lots of people say to me in those moments, what would Everton do?"....Well now we know their response is "let's do what Everton do and do a Dele"

I'm pretty sure when his loan deal ends we'll have made about 45m from him and Spurs will go bankrupt.

Don't forget Newcastle have an option on him for £1 if he scores 3 goals in an Istanbul derby. I think.

Yep, I was made up when he scored a brace on his debut and was subbed as that hattrick would have cancelled out the 10m Spurs would have been due to pay us and the horse punchers would have the option of buying him for £1 plus the additional option of buying Stamford Bridge off Ken Bates for £1 as well, moving Newcastle down to London.

I think he was worth a punt. The punt failed but if he reverted to the player he was, it would have been a bargain. Every signing is a gamble and I don't blame us for trying.
"Every signing is a gamble", while true, is a copout in this case.

The only thinking behind this transfer - and not for the first time, by us - was that he was good once, so fingers crossed he can be again. His downfall before coming to us was so pronounced that I think the majority could objectively see he was finished at this level.

"Every signing is a gamble", while true, is a copout in this case.

The only thinking behind this transfer - and not for the first time, by us - was that he was good once, so fingers crossed he can be again. His downfall before coming to us was so pronounced that I think the majority could objectively see he was finished at this level.
It cannot be both true and a copout, it is simply a fact. I think some people may have thought he was finished, most thought he was badly treated by managers and he needed the right one to bring him back. Wrong as it turned out.

On the plus side, the level of deadwood we now carry is tiny in comparison to recent years, we seem to have improved on that score. Nobody can predict the future entirely and there will always be players who don't work out.

It cannot be both true and a copout, it is simply a fact. I think some people may have thought he was finished, most thought he was badly treated by managers and he needed the right one to bring him back. Wrong as it turned out.

On the plus side, the level of deadwood we now carry is tiny in comparison to recent years, we seem to have improved on that score. Nobody can predict the future entirely and there will always be players who don't work out.
I think it absolutely can be both. It was the transfer equivalent of a hit and hope. For me, it was an unnecessary level of risk in that particular gamble, and while it had no transfer fee attached, the wages we've paid (and are still paying a decent chunk of) aren't nothing. Funny how people will berate the Rondon signing - correctly, tbf - but not this one (not saying that's you - CBA vaulting you on that).

You're right, though. On the whole our approach has changed and we've cleared out most of the crap. I don't want to tempt fate but I don't see us taking on any more hit and hope style transfers in future!

I think it absolutely can be both. It was the transfer equivalent of a hit and hope. For me, it was an unnecessary level of risk in that particular gamble, and while it had no transfer fee attached, the wages we've paid (and are still paying a decent chunk of) aren't nothing. Funny how people will berate the Rondon signing - correctly, tbf - but not this one (not saying that's you - CBA vaulting you on that).

You're right, though. On the whole our approach has changed and we've cleared out most of the crap. I don't want to tempt fate but I don't see us taking on any more hit and hope style transfers in future!
You are right, we have a solid base to build on and I think we will be less desperate and more calculated.

Status
Not open for further replies.