2023/24 Dele

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am completely going against logic here, but if the fee were minimal and the salary significantly reduced, I would offer him a one-year contract.
My reasoning is, considering what he has endured, if he is genuinely in a good mental state and determined to regain or surpass his previous performance level, then, of all the risks we have taken, I believe this one is worth taking. If Kev and Dyche see something in him then, I would support the extension.

However also do not disagree with any of the points made about his previous departure!

That should not come in to it at all. It is irrelevant to the decision making process we should be making as a professional football club

He was a very good footballer at one point and has stated publicly his mental health issues from childhood trauma, which could be a turning point for him and he might genuinely want to play football now.

I will trust Dyche and Thelwell with the decision. He'll have preseason and preseason matches before we sign him on to any contract to see if he is up to playing for us.

If he is back to near his best then go for it, but we'll need Tottenham to cancel any payments due for the contract renewal or number of matches.

Hard to imagine that the potential new owners have no input in the ongoing financial decisions being made. They don't appear to be mugs who'd sign off on wasting money.
Depends what their views on Dyche are really and whether they see him here for a few more years or not

This is what I’ve been saying. If Dyche and thelwell are trying to sign him again, it’s entirely because they believe they can get something out of him and that he has something to offer the team. It’s not for sentimentality.
Also, people are going way overboard with their judgement of his current ability. Gomes was getting time in the team last year and actually looked good at points, I'm not sure why people think Dele would be any different, we've never seen him play for us fit. At the end of the day, let's say we gave Spurs £10m, I'm just pulling that number out of my head, but that'd be £1m more than we paid Villa for a deal that was only useful to cook the books.

Ultimately even if he was just a PL level squad player, it's not like we'd be getting ripped off, any player in the league is worth a default of about £15m. There's literally nothing you can say about re-signing Dele that you couldn't have thrown at James Rodriguez, and he's among the best players we've ever seen play for us.

Honestly I'd rather give a kid from the academy a shot instead.
Even other players like ohare on a free transfer, last game he playes was feb 2023. Is a massive risk he could be fit yes but is another thing getting him match fit and back to that level

It would require a Lazarus-style comeback for him to be an effective Premier League footballer once again. I can't think of any precedent and example of a player who would have come back like this.

The trend is only going one way here, and it doesn't point to him making this sort of recovery, in as much re-adapting to the physical demands of the league as anything else.

Playing regular football again would seem to be great for him (though I assume financially he isn't dependent on it) but it has to be at a level when he can contribute and earn his wage. He would have to be considerate of the fact that throughout his period of difficulty, he has been paid at a level most people could only dream of, whilst hardly playing at all in that time.

I'm very sceptical of offering him any sort of contract at all. We have done the right thing by him whilst he has been under contract here, it was the right thing to do as he was our player. But that obligation ended with his contract. It's also right that we are facilitating him to train and build up fitness and I hope that all parties can come together to give him some foothold back in the game. I just don't see that here.

What concerns me is that in times gone by, Bill Kenwright would have signed players that had "endured" something (there is probably not a single person on Merseyside or on planet Earth that has not endured something)

Then there is a big PR campaign that was used to boost Bill Kenwright's public image, on how wonderful it was Bill Kenwright signed someone that had "endured" something. That "Chairman Bill" kept faith with someone etc as Everton finish a "magnificent 7th" etc etc. "Everton are a wonderful club off the field" etc etc etc

Appealing to the fanbase's sentimentality and their emotions. Being used by elements of the media to feed people things

That performance was mediocre to say the least, cost millions and EFC never won a trophy as a result of it. Yet the narrative continues.

It is rinse and repeat, for the past 30 years.

We need to break the cycle not continue it. It is embedded into the average Everton fan psyche at this point, and we constantly see elements of our fanbase making their decisions for the club based on sentimentality and emotion.

We shouldn't be signing people based on what they have "endured". We should be signing people to play lots of games to give lots of good performances that win Everton Football Club trophies.

Sean Dyche, his management team and his medical team have been working with Dele for quite some time now. They will have formed an opinion about the player if he has the motivation to get back to near his best and if he is physically able to do so.

Only if they are satisfied will they proceed to the next step which is to talk to Spurs about reconfiguring whatever deal is between the clubs.

What concerns me is that in times gone by, Bill Kenwright would have signed players that had "endured" something (there is probably not a single person on Merseyside or on planet Earth that has not endured something)

Then there is a big PR campaign that was used to boost Bill Kenwright's public image, on how wonderful it was Bill Kenwright signed someone that had "endured" something. That "Chairman Bill" kept faith with someone etc as Everton finish a "magnificent 7th" etc etc. "Everton are a wonderful club off the field" etc etc etc

Appealing to the fanbase's sentimentality and their emotions. Being used by elements of the media to feed people things

That performance was mediocre to say the least, cost millions and EFC never won a trophy as a result of it. Yet the narrative continues.

It is rinse and repeat, for the past 30 years.

We need to break the cycle not continue it. It is embedded into the average Everton fan psyche at this point, and we constantly see elements of our fanbase making their decisions for the club based on sentimentality and emotion.

We shouldn't be signing people based on what they have "endured". We should be signing people to play lots of games to give lots of good performances that win Everton Football Club trophies.
Bill is not here.

This decision is on Thelwell and Dyche. And they are making that decision based on working with him and deciding if he can improve the team solely in a footballing sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back