2023/24 Dele

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appreciate I'm monopolising the thread here, but as I'm thinking...

In life, when you back/support someone when they really need it - they can give you it back in spades.

All comes down to the person, and we have to trust Dyche as a manager to make a call on it.

Whatever happens, if he does stay - everyone will be desperate for the lad to find his feet again.

If Dele didn't fall on tough times, he'd be at a Real Madrid now. He's here because he lost his way. Expectations are on the floor, only way is up and Everton would be a brilliant club for him to prove he's not down and out.

Hypothetically if we had Ndiaye and Dele for the 10 slot, if the Saudis came back for Doucoure we'd be in much better shape to accept. Getting a fee and one of our highest earners off the wage bill might change the financial calculation on a deal like this.

Unbelievable news if we have managed to get him into a position where he can actually play football again, I thought we'd never get him to that point. I suppose the risk of signing him as a 'free agent' (I know it isn't free as we've spent a lot of money on him so far) is lessened as he's training with the club, so Dyche, etc. can see what he can do rather than if we signed him without having a chance to assess him properly, first.

Either way, it's a massive risk and I'm surprised that we're taking it (if true), but there is something within me that wants him to prove everyone wrong, whether at us or not.

The question is what’s best for the club here? Dele obviously wants us to take a chance on him. Maybe he wants to repay us for sticking by him. There’s a lot to that, but obviously there’s a big chance it does not go well.

adc877cb-15ea-43b6-8ac7-1f426d7b4c96_text.gif

We hear so many times that certain players impress in Training, inpress in Friendlys, then are actually bad in the actual games that matter
It's easy to impress in training when there's £100k a week to be won if you're able to pull the wool over the club's eyes. Hopefully Mr Friedkin comes in in time to veto any potential deal.

So it sounds like any 'fee' that Spurs are owed wouldn't come directly from us anyway - they'd just get a cut of any future sale. Can't really see much downside to that to be fair..

He must be impressing with attitude behind the scenes - Dyche has been here a while now and he doesn't come across as a guy who'd give an easy pass.

Dyche to his credit got Calvert-Lewin back fit too. He was wrote off fitness wise - he played 39 games last season.
A fair few posters on here said he was done would never kick a ball for us again.

Until Dele proves he is fit and in a good frame of mind I don't think he'll get a new contract, so it's completely up to him. It will be a gamble but I doubt he will be on the same wages and given a long term contract.

Appreciate I'm monopolising the thread here, but as I'm thinking...

In life, when you back/support someone when they really need it - they can give you it back in spades.

All comes down to the person, and we have to trust Dyche as a manager to make a call on it.

Whatever happens, if he does stay - everyone will be desperate for the lad to find his feet again.

If Dele didn't fall on tough times, he'd be at a Real Madrid now. He's here because he lost his way. Expectations are on the floor, only way is up and Everton would be a brilliant club for him to prove he's not down and out.
this everytime.

the lad was unbeleivable about 4/5 years ago, can he get back to that level?? i doubt it very much, but if he gets his attitude right and his fitness back, and gets back to 60% of what he was, he would still be a massive player for us.

The question is what’s best for the club here? Dele obviously wants us to take a chance on him. Maybe he wants to repay us for sticking by him. There’s a lot to that, but obviously there’s a big chance it does not go well.

The only way I could stomach it would be him given a 3-month contract on amongst the lowest wages in the first team. The club can insert an option to extend by a further 3 months, then a further 3 months again until the end of the season. If he makes it there then the club should again have the option to retain him for an additional full season, with an option to cancel the contract at any time.

There is absolutely zero doubt that he WANTS to repay our faith in him, in much the same way that I - at 42 - want the club to snap me up to play at CB.

My concern is that he hasn’t shown anything remotely resembling the ability required for years and years now, here or at Besiktas. It’s not a switch he can flick in his head to turn from poo to boss again.

The whole thing stinks of a poorly-thought out attempt at a fairy tale.

It's easy to impress in training when there's £100k a week to be won if you're able to pull the wool over the club's eyes. Hopefully Mr Friedkin comes in in time to veto any potential deal.

Money doesn't matter so much when you have more than you'll ever need anyway.

Mourinho was on his case about poor training.

If he's a bad egg, poor trainer etc - Dyche doesn't keep him.

Maybe Dyche has been the right influence for him, maybe he's got a handle on whatever caused him to fall off a cliff.

It's an absolute mystery - the lad was Jude Bellingham type hype/profile for a spell. It wasn't fleeting form either - how do you lose that, so quickly?

So it sounds like any 'fee' that Spurs are owed wouldn't come directly from us anyway - they'd just get a cut of any future sale. Can't really see much downside to that to be fair..

I see it as Spurs think there's probability he finds his feet, too.

I said last season I dont think he'd play in the run in, even if fit, even if safe - knowing we cant pick him up as a free agent and knowing it would weaken negotiation with Spurs.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back