2023/24 Dele

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's easy to impress in training when there's £100k a week to be won if you're able to pull the wool over the club's eyes. Hopefully Mr Friedkin comes in in time to veto any potential deal.
I said earlier I’m very much in the ‘I’ve not seen it but I trust Dyche not to give out a contract to anyone who’s not ready to contribute’ camp
There is not way we’ll be paying him 100kpw because no other club in the world would do it either
He probably knows he owes us and probably respects and appreciated us looking after him the last year when we really didn’t have to
I could see him signing a very low wage with bonuses for appearances/goals/assists and all parties being happy with that

From everything I’ve personally seen or heard he’d be nowhere near the club but i trust Dyche and Thelwell to not be mugs and certainly not care about ‘the story’ the way Kenwright used to run us

Or we could pay him handsomely while recovering and now let him go when he is mentally and physically in a much better place and more likely to play better than anytime in the last 4 years.

If it's well known he definitely wants to stay at Everton, then that's that.

I don't think there would be many teams in for him, but a few would definitely take him on low wages/short contract if we didn't. Free agents/potential profit are really appealing in football now.

Another question could be why Spurs have dug in so much - even now, wanting money if we sell him.

Duties of directors, "a director must act in a way that they consider, in good faith, would be most likely to promote the success of the company for the benefit of its members (shareholders) as a whole."

Spurs directors want money for him, to benefit their company and/or their shareholders.

Allowing a player to join a potential European place rival without obtaining a fee is the last thing they want.

I realise that this is fairly obvious, but contrary to some of our fanbase - businesses make decisions based on benefit. They don't make decisions based on sentimentality or emotion, or start quoting an interview Dele Alli gave with Gary Neville as a reason they then have to make certain decisions

I saw at the time some of the shouts, about signing him etc and just facepalmed. I was right because Dele Alli didn't play a single game for Everton last season due to injury etc and Spurs when approached wanted £8 million, right off the bat

Duties of directors, "a director must act in a way that they consider, in good faith, would be most likely to promote the success of the company for the benefit of its members (shareholders) as a whole."

Spurs directors want money for him, to benefit their company and/or their shareholders.

Allowing a player to join a potential European place rival without obtaining a fee is the last thing they want.

I realise that this is fairly obvious, but contrary to some of our fanbase - businesses make decisions based on benefit. They don't make decisions based on sentimentality or emotion, or start quoting an interview Dele Alli gave with Gary Neville as a reason they then have to make certain decisions

I saw at the time some of the shouts, about signing him etc and just facepalmed. I was right because Dele Alli didn't play a single game for Everton last season due to injury etc and Spurs when approached wanted £8 million, right off the bat

He can sign for any other club for £0.

Or we could pay him handsomely while recovering and now let him go when he is mentally and physically in a much better place and more likely to play better than anytime in the last 4 years.
Yeah, IF there's a player still there (and that's for Dyche and the fitness / coaching staff to judge) you'd certainly say it should be us to reap the reward of getting him back to that place after all the patience we've shown.

He can sign for any other club for £0.

Yes, but if I have a contract with one party that wants to sign him that says hand over millions, I am going to want those millions.

Spurs aren't a charity and neither are we.

If they start acting like that, people will try and take advantage constantly. Because they then think contracts do not matter.

this everytime.

the lad was unbeleivable about 4/5 years ago, can he get back to that level?? i doubt it very much, but if he gets his attitude right and his fitness back, and gets back to 60% of what he was, he would still be a massive player for us.

I worry people continue to make decisions based on sentimentality, about a player from 4 or 5 years ago, that doesn't exist any more...

It’s a gamble to a certain extent that he can recapture some of his former glory , the big issue is his wages. If they are reasonable and in line with our PSR requirements he’s worth the gamble for me. We’re at the end of the Moshiri era not the beginning where we splashed out the cash on risky signings, he’s comparatively low risk based on the fact we don’t have money for huge transfer fees. The other aspect is the Dyche factor . He speaks highly of him and if he can get him fit and playing Dele could be our new Peter Reid.

Yes, but if I have a contract with one party that wants to sign him that says hand over millions, I am going to want those millions.

Spurs aren't a charity and neither are we.

If they start acting like that, people will try and take advantage constantly. Because they then think contracts do not matter.

The takeaway in my view is evidently they feel it's worth constant negotiation over.

They turned down previous efforts to renegotiate - understandably.

But now, they've lost leverage. They either get £0. Or potentially something.

I don't think they bother so much if he was a complete lost cause.

It could also become a PR headache for them. Headlines around Dele/mental health - and Dele is very well liked at Spurs.

I advocate not making decisions for the business based on sentimentality and emotion.
They arent. They have no sentimentality for our club and are basing it on a football decision.

It was a Yes or No answer needed. Not more guff.

I assume you want them replaced as DoF and manager asap then as clearly you don’t rate their decision making as otherwise you would just say yes.

The takeaway in my view is evidently they feel it's worth constant negotiation over.

It could also become a PR headache for them. Headlines around Dele/mental health - and Dele is very well liked at Spurs.

That is the calculus to make. In January 2024 they were reportedly demanding £8 million

They are a highly profitable operation and they are that for a reason

They know when to enforce a contract to the maximum or not. The worry is DD @GrandOldTeam we (Everton) are going to get taken advantage of yet again already being £12 million in the red over 2.5 years.

That people in the EFC fanbase, and we're seeing it on here in this very thread are making emotional decisions. What happens if we get to Christmas and he's unavailable? He's taking up valuable Everton resources.

Then we get our fanbase complaining when we cannot strengthen.

You understand my concerns @GrandOldTeam ?

I'm only worried about Everton Football Club. I don't want us being done over again

All the rest of it, the "PR headache" is irrelevant. They're strong enough to ignore that. Their attitude will be

"Awww... sorry to hear that" publicly, and privately it will be "big deal".

Lets be honest none of know what player is is now or what potential he has on the training staff and the manager.

If they decide to keep him they must see some promise in him.

And let's not forget their potential duty of care issues in possibly enabling and / or ignoring his sleeping pill addiction (according to his interview they came from a club doctor). It would be better for them for there to be a happy ending rather than to play a further role in stifling his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back