2023/24 Dele

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think a lot of people are being overly negative about this really.

Here are the facts:

1. we brought him into the club on less-than-ideal terms to start with and he barely contributed. Fair enough - typical Everton. That being said, the picture has changed a bit now..

2. he came out about his mental health issues and the club strongly supported him, which was nice to see & the right thing to do. He shouldn't be vilified because he took up what the club offered him with the chance to rehabilitate - it was within our duty of care to do so.

3. the club/Dyche was correct in not trying to bring him back in before the close of the season, in hindsight. Any indication that it might've derailed his rehabilitation after getting injured again wasn't a chance worth taking (DCL a similar case). Obviously there was the financial aspect too, which the club/Thelwell were wise to make a call on save potentially costing the club more money within a tight PSR period.

4. Dele has gone away in the off-season, took a trip to the far east for a break/reset, then was back on the grass at a camp in late June. Objectively, based on the images on social media that I've seen, he's looking healthier & happier in general. He then returned to Finch Farm on the first day back and did some gym work with the squad, pictured chatting to Seamus.

5. The club/Dyche/Thelwell obviously feel as though, based on what they've seen/heard from him in recent times, that the player is up for getting his career back on track, so they're exploring the possibilities that will work for all parties involved - including Spurs. If these aren't satisfied, then I'm confident that we'd just simply end up waving goodbye at the end of his rehabilitation & moving on. I really don't think it goes any deeper than that..

‘Performance-related bonuses’ - now tell me wouldn’t be happy parting with £5-10 if he scored 10 goals and got 5 assists? They will be the metrics (gone high with the figure as well, it’s probably less than £5m as most of the few was appearance related to begin with).

I see people are continuing to make incorrect assertions 🤷‍♂️

Many of the remaining parts of the January 2022 deal between Everton and Tottenham are still in place, including performance-related bonuses due to Spurs based on Dele's activity on the pitch and a sell-on clause.

Oh dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back