Confirmed Signing Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've said it right there. He's not physical enough. Bernards a cracking little player but not in this league. I fully expect him to be a success at his next club. Townsend and grey have the physicality. They are alot more capable of picking the ball up and driving us forward which is what we need. They are decent squad options especially for a combined fee of 1.5 mil.
They have physicality and are faster, bowl me over. Their attacking stats leave a lot to be desired and whilst stats aren't everything, the fact their scoring and assist stats aren't much means we aren't exactly upgrading, just more attackers who barely score or assist to go with those we already have when we are crying out for more creativity and goals.

Deeply unpopular opinion, I’m sure, but I like him as a player. The Leicester move was good for him on paper but didn’t work out. If we can get the player he was when he went there, he’ll do a

Happy to help mate:

Gray never really developed from the player we bought in 2016, does have skill and pace, but hardly any footballing brain

We offered him a new deal and he was told he would be a squad player, he turned it down and we sold him to Leverkusen for cheap

I mean, on Townsend, he was a player I casually mentioned watching a game involving CP in May that I've always thought he's looked a good player and wondered why he's never played for a 'big six' even as a squad player as he offers hard work, good technicality and a positive influence in the attacking third.

8 weeks later and here we are. Underwhelming if that's it for a right sided player, but utterly logical if he's being brought in to replace Bernards place in the squad.

Demarai Gray is a rough diamond, but at 25 he needs a coach to polish those edges quickly. At the price touted and as a squad option, seems high upside and not much down.

Again underwhelming, unless being added to take Walcott's place as a squad player.

Overall analysis, good squad rotational options with potential for more in Gray's case. But you would hope a Bailey, Diaby type is still in the offing as well.
Andros-Townsend.webp

We went with small squads under Moyes at points - just brought in quality when we could get it.

Providing the starting 11 is quality we just need dependable players on the bench as cover whereas the problem is we dont at present we have wasters like Benard, Iwobi & Delph earning massive wages.

Anyone thinking we can attract CL quality players to sit on our bench when we are finishing midtable is on the sauce.

Gray and Townsend are an upgrade

On

Walcott and Bernard. Less wages too.

But meh to the whole thing.

Are they though?

Gray I'm a little more inclined to give a pop at as he seems likes he's wasted his talent.

But Townsend...he's a SPL/Championship bound player at the end of his career.

Walcott still cutting it and wanted by a prem side in Southampton. And Bernard still did more than Iwobi has in a blue shirt.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back