Derby build up thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at Everton's team options for this and there is a real possibility that we could have Hibbert, Osman and Naismith on the team sheet ready to start.

It's a disaster.

We may as well accept that injuries have intervened here to rob us of the chance of being competitive, take this one on the chin and bear the pain of another Derby defeat over there and hope the rest of the week goes by quickly until the Villa game.

By the way, if we have a lot of those injured back for the Villa game I'll be pretty pissed off that Martinez will have downgraded the Derby for the sake of a few more days rest for recovering players. You just dont do that - it's the shortest route into an Everton supporter's bad books as far as I'm concerned.

Ross and Gerard will replace Osman & Naismith. Stones at RB, Jags and Distin CB's

It's annoying and incredibly defeatist but I do struggle to see how we can get a result in this one. We're weakened all over the pitch by these injuries.

Liverpool, let it not be forgotten, have injuries too - mostly in defence and midfield. The problem for us is that their attacking players (which has been their strength this season) are all fit.

Unless there's some sort of miracle between now and then, our defence will probably be Hibbert, Stones, Heitinga and Baines - with home advantage and Liverpool's attacking threat, we'll be lucky to take anything from the game.

Nobody's fault - squad strength isn't even really an argument - any side would struggle with 11 outfield senior players missing.

If the worst happens, we'll have to accept it and move on. So frustrating though, this game is huge - if Liverpool win it will make a top 4 place very difficult for us. A win for us would have been a springboard. For the first time this season, I'd be happy to have Moyes back for this one as he may be capable of getting us a 0-0 there with a backs-to-the-wall type thing. Bobby won't accept that (and I love him for it), we'll go and try to win the game but I fear the injuries will be telling.

Ross and Gerard will replace Osman & Naismith. Stones at RB, Jags and Distin CB's

One is injured the other is out of the country. And Distin and Jagielka could be out too.

I dont think Martinez is one for mind games, tbh. If he says these players are injured and not in contention, that's exacly what he means.

Martinez is clearly playing a bit of poker.

No way Distin, Jags, Coleman, Pienaar, Barkley and Deulofeu will all be out.

At least 3 will be in the squad.

One is injured the other is out of the country. And Distin and Jagielka could be out too.

I dont think Martinez is one for mind games, tbh. If he says these players are injured and not in contention, that's exacly what he means.

Except he didn't say that.

"We have the 3 who are definitely out in Gibson, Kone and Oviedo, then we have a group of 6 who will need to be assessed".

He didn't rule any of the 6 out. Cards close to his chest.

Except he didn't say that.

"We have the 3 who are definitely out in Gibson, Kone and Oviedo, then we have a group of 6 who will need to be assessed".

He didn't rule any of the 6 out. Cards close to his chest.

He's said Coleman is out: 'Asked if he was hopeful on Coleman (hamstring) being passed fit for the game with Liverpool, Martinez replied: “No. He’s out for Tuesday.”'

And I would be staggered if barkley plays a Derby after no game time at all.

_________Howard
Hibbert Jags Distin Baines
___ McCarthy & Barry
McGeady Barkley Mirallas
_________ Lukaku

Hibbo of all the games but then hmmmmmm....last attack of the match,it,s Barkley on the ball looks up wonder shot back off the post Hibbo slides in and the game is over.

Hibbo ascends into the heavens and passes through space and time.

Also, Ross will be kicking doors down to play. If Ross doesn't play I'll be surprised.

He's said Coleman is out: 'Asked if he was hopeful on Coleman (hamstring) being passed fit for the game with Liverpool, Martinez replied: “No. He’s out for Tuesday.”'

And I would be staggered if barkley plays a Derby after no game time at all.

Coleman wasn't one I expected back anyway but I fancy Jags and Distin to be back.

It's not like Ross has been out for months and is gonna be rusty as hell. If he's fit I don't think Martinez will have any qualms in playing him.

It's no coincidence that we've been unnecessarily quiet on the details of these injuries in my opinion.

Hibbert will definitely play at RB. He must have been given that game time in the cup because Martinez knew he'd have to have game time ahead of the Derby....which means he really is touch and go with Distin. Knowing Stones would be required at CB for the Derby he never used him at RB against Stevenage to give him the feel of the role again.

There's no other way to cut it: it's a disastrous build up to the Derby.

The only two who will make it back into the team are Pienaar and Jagielka.

It'll be:

Howard
Hibbert Jagielka Stones Baines
McCarthy Barry
McGeady Mirallas Pienaar
Lukaku

A veteran and a Derby debutant in the back four going into the Derby at Anfield up against Suarez and Sturridge = complete disaster.

Hibbert will definitely play at RB. He must have been given that game time in the cup because Martinez knew he'd have to have game time ahead of the Derby....which means he really is touch and go with Distin. Knowing Stones would be required at CB for the Derby he never used him at RB against Stevenage to give him the feel of the role again.

There's no other way to cut it: it's a disastrous build up to the Derby.

The only two who will make it back into the team are Pienaar and Jagielka.

It'll be:

Howard
Hibbert Jagielka Stones Baines
McCarthy Barry
McGeady Mirallas Pienaar
Lukaku

A veteran and a Derby debutant in the back four going into the Derby at Anfield up against Suarez and Sturridge = complete disaster.
Regardless, our starting XI is still more than good enough to beat them. McGeady has a bit more fitness in him, Pienaar you have to assume has been held back for this game, and Mirallas is in great form. McCarthy and Barry will settle the midfield. There's only two players there I have question marks over and one of them, Stones, has already demonstrated he's good enough.

Regardless, our starting XI is still more than good enough to beat them. McGeady has a bit more fitness in him, Pienaar you have to assume has been held back for this game, and Mirallas is in great form. McCarthy and Barry will settle the midfield. There's only two players there I have question marks over and one of them, Stones, has already demonstrated he's good enough.

No.. it's really, really not.

We need full strength or near to it to get a result of any description there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back