Derby build up thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez: "We could maybe give Ross an injection (in a broken toe) but what we can't afford is to lose him for a longer period. The Merseyside derby is a really important game but if you give me the opportunity to fight for the next nine points or just three points in a derby, the answer is clear."

Another Everton manager who just doesn't get it, I'm afraid.

So he's going to rest Barkley to make Villa at home and the next fixtures?

He says he wants to know all about Everton and be part of the culture etc etc...well he hasn't learned a thing if he's downgrading this fixture to just another three points. That's Mike Walker-esque talk.

I'll be fuming with him if Barkley is left out tonight but takes to the pitch four days later against Villa. Someone needs to have a word in his ear and give him the history lesson he obviously missed.

I can guarantee that wouldn't be down to Ross. It would be down to over protectiveness from coaches. Ross will want to play in this game more than any other in the season.

I can guarantee that wouldn't be down to Ross. It would be down to over protectiveness from coaches. Ross will want to play in this game more than any other in the season.

I know mate. Fair enough if he misses the next few matches after this, but it'll be hard to take if Barkley is left out tonight and takes to the pitch on Saturday. That would be very hard to take.

He'll be on the bench minimum IMO. Bringing him on after 50-60 mins wouldn't be the worst tactic anyway

By that time the game could be done and dusted. If he's fit to play he's fit to start.

For me, there's no excuse here: get him on the pitch with a bit of assistance to numb that toe. He can recover if there's a reaction by stepping out of the Villa selection.

I know which match most blues think is more important. Question is, does the manager really get this?

Its was always going to be do we play barkley even tho he could do with a few more days out? but we have more important worries then Barkley. Hibbert (No coleman), Johnny H ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR the rs striker force will rip us at the back. No pienaar.

Its a pity we're not playing at Home, when did the last time we had Liverpool as a night game at Home
The Gosling one in the Cup when we knocked them out. Six years ago now I think. I hate the way the derbys are arranged every year now. Early kick off at Goodison, late kick off at Anfield. In that order. EVERY YEAR FOR THE LAST ELEVEN.

I guess I will never, truly understand the passion of the Derby from this distance but it's clear it is the main priority for most Evertonians but...with respect...isn't it a little "small time" to want to risk the season results against a victory in a local derby?

I'm just concerned that if our focus is truly on the derby only, then mediocrity elsewhere will become acceptable. I think the biggest insult we could dish out across the park would be to stop calling it a derby & making a big deal out of it, and just say it only means another 3 points.

Just a thought.

I guess I will never, truly understand the passion of the Derby from this distance but it's clear it is the main priority for most Evertonians but...with respect...isn't it a little "small time" to want to risk the season results against a victory in a local derby?

I'm just concerned that if our focus is truly on the derby only, then mediocrity elsewhere will become acceptable. I think the biggest insult we could dish out across the park would be to stop calling it a derby & making a big deal out of it, and just say it only means another 3 points.

Just a thought.

The 3 points are the most important as spurs have city.

Just a thought.

I do wish we'd treat 'them' as another team but if you actually go to a derby it's the most intense atmosphere and winning at all costs doesn't hurt ;) plus it's 14yr hoo-doo we're wanting to expel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back