Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I'm not an Evertonian but a Man Utd fan who decided to venture onto GOT after watching your Europa League match this evening.

I was taken aback to see this topic at the top of the forum but like so many others, very impressed. Football discussions and forums are often passionate arenas. That's in itself is not a bad thing but some football forums can create the feeling you're entering a lion's den. With that being said, it's a very pleasant surprise to see such a unifying and empathetic thread given such a prominent, permanent position in GOT.

I myself am struggling with undiagnosed depression (I fit most of the symptoms and to be blunt, I know something's not right) and was watching the Everton match after a day spent doing nothing much at all. While I send my commiserations for tonight's result, if it's any consolation, this thread has brightened up my evening. Keep up the good work guys and girls.

Nice one mate. We were not sure how it would work out, the thread that is, but we are pretty pleased with of if we are honest.

And thanks for taking the time to post in here. You will get tons of support, as you have seen.

I'm not an Evertonian but a Man Utd fan who decided to venture onto GOT after watching your Europa League match this evening.

I was taken aback to see this topic at the top of the forum but like so many others, very impressed. Football discussions and forums are often passionate arenas. That's in itself is not a bad thing but some football forums can create the feeling you're entering a lion's den. With that being said, it's a very pleasant surprise to see such a unifying and empathetic thread given such a prominent, permanent position in GOT.

I myself am struggling with undiagnosed depression (I fit most of the symptoms and to be blunt, I know something's not right) and was watching the Everton match after a day spent doing nothing much at all. While I send my commiserations for tonight's result, if it's any consolation, this thread has brightened up my evening. Keep up the good work guys and girls.
Hi mate.
I guess our pathetic display tonight came to some good in getting you to come and say a hello.
Have a read of this thread, especially some of the great advice about your possible first steps in getting some help.
And you are always welcome to chat in here. Maybe just avoid the Everton meltdown for a day or so in the other threads ;)

Welcome from me mate, all welcome here. You say you're depression is undiagnosed ?. If you feel like sharing could you explain how you're depression is for you ?. Non of us are professionals but a lot if us are / have been sufferers and could possibly help with practical stuff.

Thanks roydo, kithnou and COYL25 (and to all those who have liked my post).

I've never been to see a health professional about my depression (hence the undiagnosed comment) because I'm scared of opening up and in my current state of mind, I don't see the point in finding the courage as I don't believe I can be helped. A part of me knows that isn't true but it's not a big enough part of me to take the step of booking a GP appointment, if you know what I mean?

I don't have any friends I could talk to. It's not that they wouldn't understand; I literally have no friends as I've isolated myself for so long. I have family but they seem like they would be old school in their response (e.g. "pull yourself together") if I were to confide in them.

I've felt crap for years, so I've learnt to cope with it somewhat. I have suicidal feelings on a daily basis but have never acted on them thankfully. It's the general apathy I have that really does my head in. I don't work currently and that combined with the lack of social life makes it feel like I'm merely going through the motions every day.

I have a decent idea of who and what is out there to help me but it's getting to the point where I feel ready to ask for help that eludes me.

P.S. - I shall watch your meltdown from a distance. I have to save my energy for a collective Utd one when Van Gaal sends Rooney back to midfield and starts Falcao! ;)

I've never been to see a health professional about my depression (hence the undiagnosed comment) because I'm scared of opening up and in my current state of mind, I don't see the point in finding the courage as I don't believe I can be helped. A part of me knows that isn't true but it's not a big enough part of me to take the step of booking a GP appointment, if you know what I mean?

I don't have any friends I could talk to. It's not that they wouldn't understand; I literally have no friends as I've isolated myself for so long. I have family but they seem like they would be old school in their response (e.g. "pull yourself together") if I were to confide in them.

I've felt crap for years, so I've learnt to cope with it somewhat. I have suicidal feelings on a daily basis but have never acted on them thankfully. It's the general apathy I have that really does my head in. I don't work currently and that combined with the lack of social life makes it feel like I'm merely going through the motions every day.

I have a decent idea of who and what is out there to help me but it's getting to the point where I feel ready to ask for help that eludes me.

P.S. - I shall watch your meltdown from a distance. I have to save my energy for a collective Utd one when Van Gaal sends Rooney back to midfield and starts Falcao! ;)
Mate, have a read in here.
Definitely your first step should be to make the move to speak to a professional. Find one. If you don't feel comfortable with them then find a better one for you.
Look into the health forums advised in here by those more knowledgeable than me as well.
But don't neglect talking to someone as our first step. Sooner the better.

Rooney and Falcao? Shakes head...if only we had such issues...:drunk:

It's taken guts to put this post on and I take my hat off to you mate. I can't pretend to know what you must feel like, but I do know anxiety and what it feels like. If you are feeling how I imagine how you must be feeling, I'd recommend that you go to your GP and ask about a short course of sedatives just to tide you over - ( no more than 2 weeks worth ). Contrary to popular belief they won't turn you into a zombie, what they will do is relive the anxiety and worry. I know you didn't intend this post to be a leveller, but having just read it, the result tonight doesn't matter as this has put things into perspective.
Stay strong mate and keep posting, theres people on here who'll always get back no matter what you,ve posted.
being on chemo I can't really take things like that. I appreciate the input tho.

Thanks for sharing mate. I understand completely about what you're saying about " not opening up in your current state of mind, as you dont see the point as you can't be helped ". Without stating the obvious when youre depressed you don't see the point in anything at all. However take it from me there is a point in opening up and you can be helped, you just can't see it yet. Youve actually opened up by coming on here, albeit anonymously to a load of strangers .Opening up to your GP is no different at all than what you've done already on here. Just like us your GP won't judge you in anyway and believe me you won't be the first or last person that they'll see in their surgery who admits to being depressed. The treatment for mental health has moved on in leaps and bounds over the past decade and theres a whole sphere of the NHS dedicated to this now.

You don't say how long you've felt like this, but the danger is that the longer it goes on the worse it gets . You state that you have suicidal thoughts on a daily basis, but haven't acted on them, you don't have anyone to talk to, you're family are old skool pull yourself together types, you don't work, have no social life and are going through the motions . That paragraph alone would send red flags going up all over the place with any health care professional .

Anxiety problems often go hand in hand with depression, as you sink lower and lower in mood ,you become worried about everything due to your negativity. That's when you end up with anxiety problems too.

I'd say that it's a matter of urgency that you go to your GP - like tomorrow morning .

In the meantime have a look at this forum - THE MENTAL HEALTH FORUM.

It's NHS run and is a forum for sufferers of every type of mental health problem you can think of to communicate and support each other. I can guarantee that there will be at least one person on there who feels exactly how you are feeling.

We wil be expecting a post tomorrow from you to say that you've made an appt with your GP !

I understand fully. I have no friends as such maybe people I class as acquaintances, but no one close to confide in. to be honest that's why I rant on got, just to get things off my chest. and if you're like me it's hard to express feelings to people you know. no disrespect to the members on here who listen, advise and offer comfort but it's easy to vent to faceless, unattached,strangers. (unless you do look like your avatars). you will know when you are ready to seek professional advice and until then please continue posting on here it will give you somewhere to talk to yourself. get your feelings out. or just rant and vent your anger, frustrations, problems etc. let the world know you exist and you are suffering.

thanks. but like I said I might be over reacting, just looking at worse case scenario. bought a book at the the hospital so my subconscious must be optimistic lol.
Thats a good thing to be optimistic.
Its natural to look at the worse case scenario were your health is concerned.
Pity the boys let us down tonight but some things are more important mate.
Just hope its good news mate keep the faith

Thats a good thing to be optimistic.
Its natural to look at the worse case scenario were your health is concerned.
Pity the boys let us down tonight but some things are more important mate.
Just hope its good news mate keep the faith
I hope I don't sound flippant but everton is (outside family, sometimes not lol) the most important thing in my life,i t has affected my life dramatically, through school, marriage, work etc. when push came to shove everton won. they (we if I can be presumptuous) determine most things affecting my life.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back