Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

This is just something I want to run by you mate, just thinking out loud so to speak. Have you thought about getting a dog? ( if circumstances allow and you haven't already got one ).

The reason I say this, is that when I was at my worst it was the dog that dragged me out of the house for her walk everyday rain and shine, even if it was for 10 minutes. I got to know people through walking the dog, who didn't know me before I was ill. So the person they met was depressed and they didn't know any different. That's who I was with them and they accepted me for it. It didn't happen overnight but over months, I'm still mates with some of them now even the though the dog has since died.

No matter how bad I was feeling the dog was always there, a source of companionship and comfort. I really don't know what I would have done without her during my darkest times - only a thought ?

It is something I've considered. Sadly with having my nan around- she takes a dislike to any sort of animal! I do a bit of walking of some friends' dogs though when I can- always pretty cathartic definitely!

I hope this won't be a long post. And I want to say, right at the start, trust the drugs; trust the professionals - even if you think you have good reason to mistrust them.

And, above all, if you feel uncomfortable about your mental health, from somewhere, find the strength to get help.

You can probably stop reading right there and leave the rest to an ould eejit who is being self indulgent.

I suppose the highlight is being found naked on the floor of a patients' toilet at the local hospital, having severely cut my arms and legs. I lost, apparently, over half my blood and my heart stopped. The surgical crash team managed to resuscitate me and I live to tell the tale: I tried to live with mental illness for fifty years and, in the end, it got me.

Most of you will have a partner and kids. Most of you will have great reasons to live: don't, for the love of God, risk their love by being too proud to seek help.

I hope this won't be a long post. And I want to say, right at the start, trust the drugs; trust the professionals - even if you think you have good reason to mistrust them.

And, above all, if you feel uncomfortable about your mental health, from somewhere, find the strength to get help.

You can probably stop reading right there and leave the rest to an ould eejit who is being self indulgent.

I suppose the highlight is being found naked on the floor of a patients' toilet at the local hospital, having severely cut my arms and legs. I lost, apparently, over half my blood and my heart stopped. The surgical crash team managed to resuscitate me and I live to tell the tale: I tried to live with mental illness for fifty years and, in the end, it got me.

Most of you will have a partner and kids. Most of you will have great reasons to live: don't, for the love of God, risk their love by being too proud to seek help.
Wow my man. Just amazing reading that. Thanks for opening yourself up in here like that.
Don't give up the fight everyone. Get that support. Speak to someone. You deserve it.

How do you get the right support as my doctor is bad I have been to him a few time desperate told him how bad things are and the only thing that stopped me giving up was I felt guilty and he just told me to go home to bed you can see him getting a cob on with you. I even tried inclusion matters and after 4 weeks they just seemed to think I was sad and i should go home and tidy my cupboard out. I am on ant-depression tablets that to be honest don't help and my doctor wont give me anything for the bad bad times and just leaves me to get on with it. Its now made me feel worse and scared to approach anyone over this of fear they think "oh its nothing go home and sleep it off

I'll write a little bit more. And I beg to you to ignore it if you are a bit open to boredom!

Stuff happens, and none of us is born with a certificate that states we'll have an easy ride in life. I happened to be born in to a strong Irish Catholic family in the early 50's. Not so great if you happen to be gay and experience a diagnosed illness - schizo affective disorder.

It gets to the point where you have to choose a job and I made the wrong choice. The pressure of that job, that illness and that sexuality led me to self medicate with booze. Unfortunately, nothing (and I repeat, nothing) can overcome the power of the mind to make sense of what is happening to you. Eventually, you will seek a conclusion to your problems, and maybe leave loved ones wondering why. They don't deserve it.

No matter how awkward, how intrusive, how unappealing the help is, GET IT.

like @kithnou said thanks for sharing mate! Hope you're doing well now! I've been to therapy for the past year and a half or so (1 year of 1 on 1 counseling now I'm trying group) and it helps a bit so definitely worth it! Not the best results with medication as the first we tried gave me bad side effects, the second we tried helped for a few months but even after going up to the highest dosage became in effective. Decided to just try the regular therapy and try to force myself to exercise more and improve my diet (hasn't really gotten going yet but the winter where I'm at has been dreadful) but should be up to going out for a jog soon as the weather's decent. this thread is a great place to talk and glad you shared!

This is just something I want to run by you mate, just thinking out loud so to speak. Have you thought about getting a dog? ( if circumstances allow and you haven't already got one ).

The reason I say this, is that when I was at my worst it was the dog that dragged me out of the house for her walk everyday rain and shine, even if it was for 10 minutes. I got to know people through walking the dog, who didn't know me before I was ill. So the person they met was depressed and they didn't know any different. That's who I was with them and they accepted me for it. It didn't happen overnight but over months, I'm still mates with some of them now even the though the dog has since died.

No matter how bad I was feeling the dog was always there, a source of companionship and comfort. I really don't know what I would have done without her during my darkest times - only a thought ?

This is absolutely spot on. I can't recommend a simple walk for a completely free, simple 'pick me up', its a number of things. If you don't have a dog, loads of people are very receptive to letting other people walk them, i mean if next door has 6 pitbulls that probably won't work.. but.. if next door is an older lady etc, that would be ace.

• Exercise
  • Fresh Air!
  • Routine
  • Getting 'out'

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I’ll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
‘Cause I walk like I’ve got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I’ll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,
Weakened by my soulful cries?

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don’t you take it awful hard
‘Cause I laugh like I’ve got gold mines
Diggin’ in my own backyard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I’ve got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history’s shame
I rise
Up from a past that’s rooted in pain
I rise
I’m a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.
From And Still I Rise by Maya Angelou. Copyright © 1978 by Maya Angelou. Reprinted by permission of Random House, Inc.

mangelou.jpg

Maya Angelou
Maya Angelou was an author, poet, historian, songwriter, playwright, dancer, stage and screen producer, director, performer, singer, and civil rights activist.
read more
by this poet
poem
Alone
Maya Angelou
Lying, thinking
Last night
How to find my soul a home
Where water is not thirsty
And bread loaf is not stone
I came up with one thing
And I don’t believe I’m wrong
That nobody,
But nobody
Can make it out here alone.

Alone, all alone
Nobody, but nobody
Can make it out here alone.

There are some millionaires
browse all 2 poems
related poems
poem
the sonnet-ballad
Gwendolyn Brooks

With
poem
Diving into the Wreck
Adrienne Rich

With
poem
Her Kind
Anne Sexton

With

I wonder if anyone on here can relate to this. I'm in my 30s now but when I was 13 my mother died through cancer. The pain seemed to diminish over time and I always kinda thought I'd got through it and my personality hadn't been affected too much.
Recently I've been reading about PTSD and it seems that this event has shaped almost every aspect of who I am. I'm often withdrawn and apathetic. I don't have nightmares but I avoid making decisions and feel completely detached from reality. I really struggle to envisage any kind of future and as such have real problems in relationships. Sound familiar to anyone?
Going to see the GP this week

I wonder if anyone on here can relate to this. I'm in my 30s now but when I was 13 my mother died through cancer. The pain seemed to diminish over time and I always kinda thought I'd got through it and my personality hadn't been affected too much.
Recently I've been reading about PTSD and it seems that this event has shaped almost every aspect of who I am. I'm often withdrawn and apathetic. I don't have nightmares but I avoid making decisions and feel completely detached from reality. I really struggle to envisage any kind of future and as such have real problems in relationships. Sound familiar to anyone?
Going to see the GP this week
I lost my adopted mum to illness and its very hard.
You try and be strong and survive the days which turn into weeks then years and before you know it you feel guilty for not grieving properly.
Without being patronising you need closure.
You need to believe in yourself my friend and make an effort with other people and before you know it you will have a lot more confidence and be in control of your life.
You have got a future mate you just need to find the right key.
Life is a great gift we only get one so when you get knocked down get back up as fast as you can.
A lot of people are in the same boat and i lost my son when he was only a child it ripped my heart out but my choice was to give up or fight back and be there for my family i could not give up.
Be strong brother you have made a great step in posting on this forum.
You can't control whats gone but you can have a great future.
good luck amigo.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back