Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I'll write a little bit more. And I beg to you to ignore it if you are a bit open to boredom!

Stuff happens, and none of us is born with a certificate that states we'll have an easy ride in life. I happened to be born in to a strong Irish Catholic family in the early 50's. Not so great if you happen to be gay and experience a diagnosed illness - schizo affective disorder.

It gets to the point where you have to choose a job and I made the wrong choice. The pressure of that job, that illness and that sexuality led me to self medicate with booze. Unfortunately, nothing (and I repeat, nothing) can overcome the power of the mind to make sense of what is happening to you. Eventually, you will seek a conclusion to your problems, and maybe leave loved ones wondering why. They don't deserve it.

No matter how awkward, how intrusive, how unappealing the help is, GET IT.

This is incredible. Thank you for sharing. The words you mention too about being too proud to seek help are especially true. For men it is such a taboo. A friend of mine would only ever talk to me about his depression and it wasn't until I got him in my car and took him to the doctor that he got the help he needed. He went from being stuck in his job seeing no way out, to meeting a girl and going over to Brazil to live with her. From what he tells me, he couldn't be happier.

It's important to remember that recovery may not be so straight forward though. For me, it's been three years or so of treatment and I still have my ups and downs (as you can see from my Friday post!) But the episodes get shorter, and life in between can be a lot more bearable with help. Coming out the other side of bad episodes make you twice the person you were before and there is always every point in continuing to seek what makes you happy.

This is incredible. Thank you for sharing. The words you mention too about being too proud to seek help are especially true. For men it is such a taboo. A friend of mine would only ever talk to me about his depression and it wasn't until I got him in my car and took him to the doctor that he got the help he needed. He went from being stuck in his job seeing no way out, to meeting a girl and going over to Brazil to live with her. From what he tells me, he couldn't be happier.

It's important to remember that recovery may not be so straight forward though. For me, it's been three years or so of treatment and I still have my ups and downs (as you can see from my Friday post!) But the episodes get shorter, and life in between can be a lot more bearable with help. Coming out the other side of bad episodes make you twice the person you were before and there is always every point in continuing to seek what makes you happy.
Great post man. Keep the fight lads.

You'll get there, mate.

Very,very gradually it gets better: not least because you start to see the signs of an impending episode and you an do stuff to avoid it becoming a full blown crisis.

Above all else, use the professionals who have the means to guide you through the black curtain.

And (for the very little it's worth) you have my prayers.

@1966efc That means a lot mate, thank you very much! :)

And hi all- again! It's been a strange few days, but I've managed to get around to updating my site. I'm focusing on running a mental health blog and going to post updates daily. Definitely got a little plug for this forum in mind too!

Anyway, I hope @Groucho, @the esk et al don't mind, but if anybody fancied doing a piece or two for the site it would be amazing. You don't have to be 'young' or even suffer with mental ill-health- just have a perspective on it!

Have a look anyway- hope you find it interesting!

www.youngneuronics.com

started my 4th cycle of chemo today. I woke up this morning feeling really fed up and it stayed with me all day. macmillan nurse came to see me before the chemo started for a bit of counselling. she asked if everything was ok as I looked " really pi**ed off "
we chatted for a while and she asked if i'd like to see a psychologist. I declined for now but mentioned to her this thread and how it has helped me a lot. she agreed it was a good idea and I should continue. just thought i'd let you know the professionals endorse GOT lol. keep up the good work.
I just want people not to feel isolated.

They may be words on a website, but typing those words and getting a response may just make you feel 'not alone', and act as a springboard for seeking further help.

It's not a sign of weakness to say 'help, I'm struggling'. There's a whole host of people out there (UK or otherwise) who can help.

It took me a while to ask for help. Nobody knew...literally nobody. I wasn't even sure I knew I had a problem myself. I always suspected there was something 'not quite right' as I had stopped gaining pleasure from anything - especially things I really SHOULD have been. That left me feeling guilty and the cycle became a downward spiral.

I'm glad I realised something was wrong and told as many people as possible.

Now I feel 1000 times better.

A problem shared isn't just a problem halved if you have this much support. I'm maybe lucky though.

Thanks but I'm not after personal glory over this. Had enough problems of my own to know what feeling shut in and isolated is like.

If we can help someone out who feels that way, then great. I can't promise that we can fix everyone's problems, but I can promise that we can try to make them feel better and signpost folk to the relevant aid.

Keep up the good work folks, I only started the ball rolling, you lot keep it going.

started my 4th cycle of chemo today. I woke up this morning feeling really fed up and it stayed with me all day. macmillan nurse came to see me before the chemo started for a bit of counselling. she asked if everything was ok as I looked " really pi**ed off "
we chatted for a while and she asked if i'd like to see a psychologist. I declined for now but mentioned to her this thread and how it has helped me a lot. she agreed it was a good idea and I should continue. just thought i'd let you know the professionals endorse GOT lol. keep up the good work.

Keep going mate. By the way, aren't the macmillan nurses just incredible - the stuff they must see every day, yet they carry on regardless. Have huge respect for them.

And hi all- again! It's been a strange few days, but I've managed to get around to updating my site. I'm focusing on running a mental health blog and going to post updates daily. Definitely got a little plug for this forum in mind too!

Anyway, I hope @Groucho, @the esk et al don't mind, but if anybody fancied doing a piece or two for the site it would be amazing. You don't have to be 'young' or even suffer with mental ill-health- just have a perspective on it!

www.youngneuronics.com

Thanks mate - will have a look and see if I can contribute :)

;);)

www.youngneuronics.com

Great stuff mate, commendable what youre doing.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back