Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Wow mate. Just wow. Absolutely heartbreaking for me to read that as I am very close with my 12 year old nephew from the day his was born.
I don't know if I would be capable of your composure and strength to be honest.
All the best wishes and prayers for your boy. His health and wellness are far more important than any maths score.

In the UK mate they don't want to let kids just get on with being kids and having a childhood any more. Last week he was given a homework for the day after that was going to take quite a lot of time & he explained to the teacher that he had a commitment that night that was going to make it difficult to do, he was told "Well you need to manage your time better then if you have outside activities," I was ready to ring in and tell him he could shove his ART homework up his fat arse tbh. The week before he was given 12 lots of homework on the Thursday & Friday to be completed over the weekend, to me thats an excessive amount that is impacting on his 'Free Time' and also the rest of the families as well. We darent keep them off school for fear of prosecution but it's fine for them to set homework over weekends & school holidays that if aren't done the child gets a punishment for.
A whole different issue that I know, but the homework is something that also cranks up the pressure on the kid as well as he wants to do his best at everything he does (sport & Studies) so he was then worried that he hadnt done enough.

In the UK mate they don't want to let kids just get on with being kids and having a childhood any more. Last week he was given a homework for the day after that was going to take quite a lot of time & he explained to the teacher that he had a commitment that night that was going to make it difficult to do, he was told "Well you need to manage your time better then if you have outside activities," I was ready to ring in and tell him he could shove his ART homework up his fat arse tbh. The week before he was given 12 lots of homework on the Thursday & Friday to be completed over the weekend, to me thats an excessive amount that is impacting on his 'Free Time' and also the rest of the families as well. We darent keep them off school for fear of prosecution but it's fine for them to set homework over weekends & school holidays that if aren't done the child gets a punishment for.
A whole different issue that I know, but the homework is something that also cranks up the pressure on the kid as well as he wants to do his best at everything he does (sport & Studies) so he was then worried that he hadnt done enough.
Trust me mate, just as tough on kids here in Australia.
Ridiculous to me. I don't know how I would react as a parent.

I've experienced a bad GP first hand - not arsed, didn't even look up from his computer screen when seeing you etc.
You are entitled to see any of the GPs in the surgery and are under no obligation to see the bad one. I changed my bad GP and the new GP immediatly cancelled the addictive sedatives I,d been on for 3 yrs ( shouldve been on them for no more than 2 mths max ) and referred me to a councillor . Ask to see a different GP if possible, if not register with a different surgery in your area. At the very least you need your meds looking at if you say they aren't working.

Keep posting mate.
Niceone for this mate am going to see a different doctor this week and hopefully get better help. I have been going to this doctor as little as possible an always come away felling worse about my self. Am just a bit anxious about seeing a new doctor now

Niceone for this mate am going to see a different doctor this week and hopefully get better help. I have been going to this doctor as little as possible an always come away felling worse about my self. Am just a bit anxious about seeing a new doctor now

From experience you have nothing to be anxious about when switching Doctors. Within the surgery the other Doctors will be aware of the limitations of the one your currently seeing. They won't critisise each other though, so don't expect the new one to agree that the other one is crap !. The one you're currently seeing won't hold you switching against you, by the sounds of it they won't be arsed !. It's like all jobs mate, some good at their job, some bad at their job. The difference being its you're health that's being affected by a bad Doctor. Seriously after you've seen the new Dr, you'll wonder what you were worrying about !.

I completely agree with this post. The obsession with stats and following diktats has led to a generation of children that aren't being taught to enjoy and appreciate a subject, they are being drilled to remember just enough to pass tests, which the schools then crunch into stats to make the school look like its a good school. In turn this has turned patents into maniacs obsessed by stats and Ofsted reports, which filters down as unreal and unatrural pressure on their children to succeed . FFS let them be kids, they'll soon have all the rest of the crap that goes with life when they grow up.

Hi everyone. We put out our second Young Neuronics post this evening. It's a friend of mine talking in depth about a recent depressive episode. Really good for anyone wanting to understand the thoughts that go on when you're on the edge. If anyone fancies sharing the page with friends/ family and think it would help that'd be amazing. I'll stop plugging from now on though. Hope everyone is doing okay today!

http://www.youngneuronics.com/#!Tak...-from-the-good/c193z/5511bab20cf21933cd0ddfdf

Hi everyone. We put out our second Young Neuronics post this evening. It's a friend of mine talking in depth about a recent depressive episode. Really good for anyone wanting to understand the thoughts that go on when you're on the edge. If anyone fancies sharing the page with friends/ family and think it would help that'd be amazing. I'll stop plugging from now on though. Hope everyone is doing okay today!

http://www.youngneuronics.com/#!Tak...-from-the-good/c193z/5511bab20cf21933cd0ddfdf

Just read your blog mate, sterling stuff my man.

I'd say it's overlooked a lot in children...
An excellent point but it also made me think of those of us with children & how our issues affect them.

As hard as I try to remove myself from the family during an 'episode' (for want of a better term), they're smarter than that & know something is up. There'd be an interesting discussion around cause & effect for children suffering anxiety & I hope that smarter people than me are looking at it.

I completely agree with this post. The obsession with stats and following diktats has led to a generation of children that aren't being taught to enjoy and appreciate a subject, they are being drilled to remember just enough to pass tests, which the schools then crunch into stats to make the school look like its a good school. In turn this has turned patents into maniacs obsessed by stats and Ofsted reports, which filters down as unreal and unatrural pressure on their children to succeed . FFS let them be kids, they'll soon have all the rest of the crap that goes with life when they grow up.
Become an international concern. And then we complain about issues like child obesity. Hard to be a kid these days I say.

Last edited:
An excellent point but it also made me think of those of us with children & how our issues affect them.

As hard as I try to remove myself from the family during an 'episode' (for want of a better term), they're smarter than that & know something is up. There'd be an interesting discussion around cause & effect for children suffering anxiety & I hope that smarter people than me are looking at it.

Completely aggree mate. I often wonder if my eldest lad who was infant was affected when I wasnt well and as I know from friends and family that messed up adults often produce messed up kids. I worry that things he saw and heard may have damaged him and its still to come out.

I couldn't agree more. In the UK our education system pressurises children and teaches them out of their creativity and instills narrow-mindedness and prescribes which skills are valuable. This negatively impacts upon their individuality and stops them from making the most of their talents.

Kids spend their evenings and weekends learning things that often don't interest them or bear relevance and are made to feel awful when they struggle.

This leaves those with the required talents under pressure and every other child considered not to have talent and skills.

Ultimately you are going to end up with people who feel unfulfilled and this will contribute to mental health problems. It will also stop people from making the most of the abilities they have.

Massive issues in education.

I've no doubt a parents depression will be noticed by kids. It's how you deal with it I supoose.

I hid it reasonably well from my daughter, and I suppose she was another reason why I sought help, although if she asked anything I was honest with her.

I didn't want her to grow up with me being like that.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back