Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Thanks but I'm not after personal glory over this. Had enough problems of my own to know what feeling shut in and isolated is like.

If we can help someone out who feels that way, then great. I can't promise that we can fix everyone's problems, but I can promise that we can try to make them feel better and signpost folk to the relevant aid.

Keep up the good work folks, I only started the ball rolling, you lot keep it going.
Take my hat off to you sir for starting this thread.
It really makes a difference to people you can see that

@Groucho was the architect following the tragedy of Gary Speed - @Groucho doesn't want it to happen to any other Blues
Take my hat off to you sir for starting this thread.
It really makes a difference to people you can see that
We all must take credit for making it is, not just little old me - I just set it in mention.

As long as we can help folk, I'm happy, that's all that's important here.

Yep. Great that we are also starting to get fans from other clubs coming in as they find it a support system.

That's what I find is incredible about this thread, it's starting to develop a life of its own. I think one of the main reasons for this is that men in general are very reluctant to admit mental health problems - " weak minded , pull yourself together , what have you got to worry about etc ". Having been through the system I can 100 % say that there isn't anything like this thread for men anywhere else and that includes the main stream mental health charities etc.

I'll be honest, it's helping me to be helping you all out. I've had two nervous breakdowns in the past, and have suffered anxiety for a large portion of my life.

I didn't realise that this would be the case when this began, but as it turns out, seeing and doing with folk in here is like a therapy for myself, and helps me enormously.

My personal problems stem from a historical problem with my dad (exacerbated by recent health problems) but I'll not dwell on that, as I'm one of the lucky ones who's come out the other side - it's an ongoing process that's never over but I've improved massivley recently and feel much more my old self again.

My main point is that it took me a while to seek help - trying to get through on my own was not working but for a man it's a big hurdle to overcome, to admit your're not ok. So if the only thing we achieve is signposting people to the relevant aid, then that's a good start and acheivement in itself.

Dealing with my wife's post-natal depression (@Morag) played a big part in this too, and seeing how she sought help and started to get better made me seek help in turn.

The help is there folks. And remember medication is sometimes the answer, and sometimes is isn't. Counselling can work equally well, but work with your doctor and see what's best for you.

I'll be honest, it's helping me to be helping you all out. I've had two nervous breakdowns in the past, and have suffered anxiety for a large portion of my life.

I didn't realise that this would be the case when this began, but as it turns out, seeing and doing with folk in here is like a therapy for myself, and helps me enormously.

My personal problems stem from a historical problem with my dad (exacerbated by recent health problems) but I'll not dwell on that, as I'm one of the lucky ones who's come out the other side - it's an ongoing process that's never over but I've improved massivley recently and feel much more my old self again.

My main point is that it took me a while to seek help - trying to get through on my own was not working but for a man it's a big hurdle to overcome, to admit your're not ok. So if the only thing we archive is signposting people to the relevant aid, then that's a good start and acheivement in itself.

Dealing with my wife's post-natal depression (@Morag) played a big part in this too, and seeing how she sought help and started to get better made me seek help in turn.

The help is there folks. And remember medication is sometimes the answer, and sometimes is isn't. Counselling can work equally well, but work with your doctor and see what's best for you.
Thanks for opening up mate. You are a good man and we all wish you the best.
You have directly and indirectly helped many clearly in here.
And you will deserve the love and appreciation that comes your way after people read your story.

Currently take my 12 year old lad to CAHMS for Anxiety, the hardest thing was getting the referral to actually see someone regularly, even after going to see them it took from May to January to get him moved up a tier to actually get help.

was convinced that it was down to Stress during his last year of Primary tbh as they had him doing a Maths SAT that was about 2 years ahead of his school year and were piling pressure on him causing him endless sleepless nights & worry..... ALL for their benefit as well, they had him going in early every day & on 1 day it was a full day of intensive maths + an extra hour after school.

The lady at CAMHS tells us that it's very often the kids that are in the top sets that need this kind of help as they are always striving to do better & school put pressure on them to maintain these levels of learning. The anxiety we thought had calmed down a lot but he was starting to show levels of aggression when anything wasnt to his liking or going his way, often on the football pitch if getting fouled but not getting the decision he'd lose the plot & take it personally that he was being called a cheat (in most cases like that he travels that fast that not a great deal of contact was required to throw him off balance).
The lady we've been seeing has been great, I think the fact that a neutral person is agreeing with what we tell him is helping a lot (parents always wrong like aren't they) & she has also been backing up decisions that we have made when needed due to behaviour.
We may be getting to the end of the sessions though & our hope is that they can continue for a bit longer without things having to escalate again before any help is available. She said that she would inform school in case he got into any trouble but we asked her not to as he would be taken out of his classes and put into 'Nurture' which would be of no benefit to him at all & would set him back quite a lot.... all for something that she seems to agree is something that has been brought on by the pressure of the schools in the 1st place.

Currently take my 12 year old lad to CAHMS for Anxiety, the hardest thing was getting the referral to actually see someone regularly, even after going to see them it took from May to January to get him moved up a tier to actually get help.

was convinced that it was down to Stress during his last year of Primary tbh as they had him doing a Maths SAT that was about 2 years ahead of his school year and were piling pressure on him causing him endless sleepless nights & worry..... ALL for their benefit as well, they had him going in early every day & on 1 day it was a full day of intensive maths + an extra hour after school.

The lady at CAMHS tells us that it's very often the kids that are in the top sets that need this kind of help as they are always striving to do better & school put pressure on them to maintain these levels of learning. The anxiety we thought had calmed down a lot but he was starting to show levels of aggression when anything wasnt to his liking or going his way, often on the football pitch if getting fouled but not getting the decision he'd lose the plot & take it personally that he was being called a cheat (in most cases like that he travels that fast that not a great deal of contact was required to throw him off balance).
The lady we've been seeing has been great, I think the fact that a neutral person is agreeing with what we tell him is helping a lot (parents always wrong like aren't they) & she has also been backing up decisions that we have made when needed due to behaviour.
We may be getting to the end of the sessions though & our hope is that they can continue for a bit longer without things having to escalate again before any help is available. She said that she would inform school in case he got into any trouble but we asked her not to as he would be taken out of his classes and put into 'Nurture' which would be of no benefit to him at all & would set him back quite a lot.... all for something that she seems to agree is something that has been brought on by the pressure of the schools in the 1st place.
I'd say it's overlooked a lot in children and I'm glad you're getting help.

Thinking back, I'd probably say my problems started when I was in primary school, certainly. My grandad died when I was 8, I was extremely close to him (as I was all my grandparents), and seemed to fall into constant irritability and terrified-ness which while obviously not irritable all of the time, I never really seemed to come out of until now.

The help was not there for a bereaved child at the time, and dare I say it I'd not have had half my previous problems had I recieved help as a schoolchild in L4.

Wow mate. Just wow. Absolutely heartbreaking for me to read that as I am very close with my 12 year old nephew from the day his was born.
I don't know if I would be capable of your composure and strength to be honest.
All the best wishes and prayers for your boy. His health and wellness are far more important than any maths score.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back