Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I've no doubt a parents depression will be noticed by kids. It's how you deal with it I supoose.

I hid it reasonably well from my daughter, and I suppose she was another reason why I sought help, although if she asked anything I was honest with her.

I didn't want her to grow up with me being like that.
Oh, I can identify with your last sentence.

My girls know the situation, but how it's affecting me is what I'm holding back on. Not because I have an issue with them knowing, but it's more about making sure they enjoy their expanding world without worrying about my contracting one.

I've no doubt a parents depression will be noticed by kids. It's how you deal with it I supoose.

I hid it reasonably well from my daughter, and I suppose she was another reason why I sought help, although if she asked anything I was honest with her.

I didn't want her to grow up with me being like that.

;)

Just read some of the previous posts.

Where to start?

I believe we are the product of not only our genes but our early experiences.

I know, without a shadow of doubt, that kids recognise mood and respond accordingly. As do all you parents.

Here's a thing if you're feeling a bit guilty about your illness and its effect on the kid(s) - noone in their right mind has three or four pints then drives. Yet all over the country, there are people having three or four cans and looking after children. My point is, kids are adaptable and they learn to live with the current mood. Don't pressure yourselves into feeling even more guilty than you already do.

There is a very simple way to access top quality mental health care: approach a cop, doctor, or nurse and say the following (even if it's a bit of a white lie) "I am having thoughts of self harm. I have a plan to kill myself but I don't want my family to suffer". They will react to this. You will get a consultant referral and people will be around to support you (except in London and East Anglia where funding issues have been horrendous.)

Just read some of the previous posts.

Where to start?

I believe we are the product of not only our genes but our early experiences.

I know, without a shadow of doubt, that kids recognise mood and respond accordingly. As do all you parents.

Here's a thing if you're feeling a bit guilty about your illness and its effect on the kid(s) - noone in their right mind has three or four pints then drives. Yet all over the country, there are people having three or four cans and looking after children. My point is, kids are adaptable and they learn to live with the current mood. Don't pressure yourselves into feeling even more guilty than you already do.

There is a very simple way to access top quality mental health care: approach a cop, doctor, or nurse and say the following (even if it's a bit of a white lie) "I am having thoughts of self harm. I have a plan to kill myself but I don't want my family to suffer". They will react to this. You will get a consultant referral and people will be around to support you (except in London and East Anglia where funding issues have been horrendous.)

Sorry mate, but you're last paragraph over simplifies things a bit. You make it sound that by declaring suicidal intentions to an authority figure that a whole support network opens up to you. Believe me it doesn't. You may initially get more attention than normal or possibly sectioned, but there's a battery of tests to assess you're mental state. If you're over stating things you'll be sussed out pretty quickly, plus you're wasting resources of an already over stretched service .

just a quick update from a previous post i put up regarding problems i was having in work which was getting to me.

I had the meeting with the head honco so to speak and i am in the process now of arranging to meet up to discuss interview technique help and perhaps oppurtunities that could be available. Further to that i blagged my way onto a NVQ level 4 course which i may not be high enough to do but its equivalent to a first year degree which would be help me no end.

In work time, the outcome of all the problems was basically grass on my team mates all the time, which i had no intention of doing. I have however give them a big FU this week as i have been left on the team by myself and have not just coped but cleared and managed the entire workloads by myself. They asked me why it wasnt like this other weeks and i fobbed them off and sent them a quick email later on before i went basically telling them in so many words this is how i work normally, i have no incentive to do it all the time!

Feel a bit better about it after that :)

just a quick update from a previous post i put up regarding problems i was having in work which was getting to me.

I had the meeting with the head honco so to speak and i am in the process now of arranging to meet up to discuss interview technique help and perhaps oppurtunities that could be available. Further to that i blagged my way onto a NVQ level 4 course which i may not be high enough to do but its equivalent to a first year degree which would be help me no end.

In work time, the outcome of all the problems was basically grass on my team mates all the time, which i had no intention of doing. I have however give them a big FU this week as i have been left on the team by myself and have not just coped but cleared and managed the entire workloads by myself. They asked me why it wasnt like this other weeks and i fobbed them off and sent them a quick email later on before i went basically telling them in so many words this is how i work normally, i have no incentive to do it all the time!

Feel a bit better about it after that :)

Well done mate, it sounds as if you're getting a bit of control into things, and that is a massive part of feeling good I think. Without that control you lose your self-esteem and then go down hill from there- that's the case for me anyway! Good luck with your NVQ dude- hopefully it'll keep your motivation!

This recent Germanwings tragedy has put the spotlight back on depression, sadly this time it is not for the greater good.

Newspapers are now saying that the pilot should have been nowhere near the plane. Does every suicidal person want to take hundreds of innocent people with them? The answer is no.

I recently got a very good job that I'd studied for and have a degree in. When having a medical for the job, I listed that I had experienced periods of depression/anxiety. I had anxiety just confirming that I have suffered from anxiety, the questionnaire was very intrusive. Is this something we must be aware of now? Going to the doctor is not actually a private matter when most, if not all employers now request access to your medical history.

We are being told that if we have problems we should seek professional help, some of us, myself included already have. I just feel that how can this stigma ever be lifted if our privacy is constantly being invaded and our medical records can have a serious implications on future jobs we may apply for.

This pilot was fully qualified to fly that plane, yes he suffered from depression but there was something far more sinister in his mind to want to murder innocent people.

Morons like Piers Morgan (who's article riled me to write this) would have us locked in padded rooms, eating with plastic forks.

This recent Germanwings tragedy has put the spotlight back on depression, sadly this time it is not for the greater good.

Newspapers are now saying that the pilot should have been nowhere near the plane. Does every suicidal person want to take hundreds of innocent people with them? The answer is no.

I recently got a very good job that I'd studied for and have a degree in. When having a medical for the job, I listed that I had experienced periods of depression/anxiety. I had anxiety just confirming that I have suffered from anxiety, the questionnaire was very intrusive. Is this something we must be aware of now? Going to the doctor is not actually a private matter when most, if not all employers now request access to your medical history.

We are being told that if we have problems we should seek professional help, some of us, myself included already have. I just feel that how can this stigma ever be lifted if our privacy is constantly being invaded and our medical records can have a serious implications on future jobs we may apply for.

This pilot was fully qualified to fly that plane, yes he suffered from depression but there was something far more sinister in his mind to want to murder innocent people.

Morons like Piers Morgan (who's article riled me to write this) would have us locked in padded rooms, eating with plastic forks.
well said

The fact is that most sufferers of depression or mental illness of any form only ever end up hurting themselves and people close to them, (usually unwittingly).

Very few people are ever in the position of pilots who literally have the lives of 100's of people at their mercy.

This tragic event should be used to demonstrate that mental illness can affect anyone regardless of their station in life, sadly for some it can have greater consequences for some than others.

It should not put off anyone here from seeking help, either on here or professionally, if that's what is required. In the respect of helping fellow blues this forum is a Piers Morgan and moron free zone.

The fact is that most sufferers of depression or mental illness of any form only ever end up hurting themselves and people close to them, (usually unwittingly).

Very few people are ever in the position of pilots who literally have the lives of 100's of people at their mercy.

This tragic event should be used to demonstrate that mental illness can affect anyone regardless of their station in life, sadly for some it can have greater consequences for some than others.

It should not put off anyone here from seeking help, either on here or professionally, if that's what is required. In the respect of helping fellow blues this forum is a Piers Morgan and moron free zone.
It should be remembered that the vast majority of depressed folk don't hurt anybody. 25% of the world's population have a mental health issue - that's a quarter of everyone, in any job and most go about their business as safe as everyone else.

The pilot may have had other issues besides depression, so it isn't a given that depression caused this tragedy. I really hope this doesn't have any long lasting damage to the progress made recently.

I saw the headlines in the rags this morning mate and was appalled at the way it was being spun. What they were actually saying was - " suicidal lunatic who shouldn't have been anywhere near a plane murders everyone on board ".
To me this shows for all the lip service that is given by the press to depression being a recognised illness iits actually all a front and the stigma hasn't gone away at all. Expect it to get worse as more details of the pilot emerge.

I saw the headlines in the rags this morning mate and was appalled at the way it was being spun. What they were actually saying was - " suicidal lunatic who shouldn't have been anywhere near a plane murders everyone on board ".
To me this shows for all the lip service that is given by the press to depression being a recognised illness iits actually all a front and the stigma hasn't gone away at all. Expect it to get worse as more details of the pilot emerge.
I think most times it is a lack of education...which then raises the question of the ignorance associated with many that write these days.

All the news outlets are a joke. Stating almost unequivocally that the crash was caused due to the pilot being depressed. What about driving a car? Would that be considered dangerous if someone is suffering. Maybe people in need should be locked away or restricted in their movements. Unbelievable. The press are constantly guilty of acting like Sherlock Holmes with their assumptions. Their portrayals of mental health along with many other topics serves to provide the public with a deluge of misinformation.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back