Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Hi mate. Aplogies if it's something that you have already looked at / are doing. Have you looked at diet ?.

My mates sister in law tempered conventional treatment once in remission with a selection of " super foods ". I'm not a health freak by any means, but her special diet really seemed to help her recovery ?. I have no idea if it was pyscosymatic but it seemed to help a great deal with the way she procrssed food especially after treatment .
appreciate the advice. at the moment its pointless as the chemo messes everything up. taste appetite sickness etc. but it will be a consideration once the treatment is over. (oops did notice you said once in remission sorry)

appreciate the advice. at the moment its pointless as the chemo messes everything up. taste appetite sickness etc. but it will be a consideration once the treatment is over. (oops did notice you said once in remission sorry)

Cheers mate, just a thought. I know her oncologists were a bit snooty and dismissive of it, but she did a lot of reading up and sorted most of it herself. Certainly helped her digestion and energy levels.

Once your in remission for 5 years you are essentially considered "cured".

keep up the treatment and just keep grafting through.

In the past 3 years there's been some remarkable new treatments. Someone I know had metastatic skin cancer that was resistant to standard treatment. They were treated with a new (< 3 year available) synthetic antigen. They're in apparent remission (which is best possible outcome). Unfortunately the only reason he's not considered "cured" is there is literally no 5+ year human outcome data to say what his outcome is or will be. What we do know is that 3 years ago it would have been a virtually terminal diagnosis. Such is the impact of this new treatment in a field where there was few.

The treatment cost is £100,000. Its part funded by nhs/charities/Bristol Mayers Squib who developed it.

Just keep positive. Keep fighting. You never know what is round the corner also.

Dont lose faith in conventional medicine.

Hi guys, posting here as i've read through the thread and feel like sharing where im at.

I'm 23 and i think i've suffered depression since my teen years so from age 14 onwards, i've never been diagnosed with it because i wasn't even certain i have it although recently i've educated myself a bit more and i think i might actually be suffering the illness. I'm not certain of the source or trigger, there seems to be several if im honest but i'm generally down more then im up these days and emotionally i'm a proper mess. I think i need help but i'm scared, i've discussed it with my parents who have tried to be supportive but don't really understand what i'm going through, i worry that if i go to my GP and i'm diagnosed it may have negative effects on my future, an example is if i had to surrender my licence, i need it for work and my own car and freedom to use it are important to me being relatively happy. With the recent plane crash and the public attitude towards depression it has made me even more apprehensive to speak to my GP. I'm not sure how much longer i can feel the way i do though, i'm sat here now near tears as i'm exhausted from considering what to do, i've entertained suicide thoughts occasionally (over the 10 years or so) but i don't really want to die but that said i don't really want to live either as i find little pleasure in anything anymore and every day is effort. I feel like a prick because my moods effecting my family as well, i just don't know what to do or feel anymore, just going through the motions somehow but i'm worried for myself and think i might need help

Hi guys, posting here as i've read through the thread and feel like sharing where im at.

I'm 23 and i think i've suffered depression since my teen years so from age 14 onwards, i've never been diagnosed with it because i wasn't even certain i have it although recently i've educated myself a bit more and i think i might actually be suffering the illness. I'm not certain of the source or trigger, there seems to be several if im honest but i'm generally down more then im up these days and emotionally i'm a proper mess. I think i need help but i'm scared, i've discussed it with my parents who have tried to be supportive but don't really understand what i'm going through, i worry that if i go to my GP and i'm diagnosed it may have negative effects on my future, an example is if i had to surrender my licence, i need it for work and my own car and freedom to use it are important to me being relatively happy. With the recent plane crash and the public attitude towards depression it has made me even more apprehensive to speak to my GP. I'm not sure how much longer i can feel the way i do though, i'm sat here now near tears as i'm exhausted from considering what to do, i've entertained suicide thoughts occasionally (over the 10 years or so) but i don't really want to die but that said i don't really want to live either as i find little pleasure in anything anymore and every day is effort. I feel like a [Poor language removed] because my moods effecting my family as well, i just don't know what to do or feel anymore, just going through the motions somehow but i'm worried for myself and think i might need help

Hi mate, thanks for taking the time to read the thread, and for having the courage to post your thoughts.

I doubt very much your GP's attitude and any other health workers you might meet will have altered just because of recent news events. In fact they might even be more receptive than usual giving the increase in profile.

There will be plenty of encouragement and kind words on here from fellow blues but as I think you acknowledge yourself you require the help of professionals. Appreciate asking for help is difficult for many, but the help is there for you to use. You are a young man with much ahead of you, life provides great and not so great times. The help you receive will make the great times more frequent and the not so great more manageable.

Keep posting and let us all know how you get on!

I'm 23 and i think i've suffered depression since my teen years so from age 14 onwards, i've never been diagnosed with it because i wasn't even certain i have it although recently i've educated myself a bit more and i think i might actually be suffering the illness. I'm not certain of the source or trigger, there seems to be several if im honest but i'm generally down more then im up these days and emotionally i'm a proper mess. I think i need help but i'm scared, i've discussed it with my parents who have tried to be supportive but don't really understand what i'm going through, i worry that if i go to my GP and i'm diagnosed it may have negative effects on my future, an example is if i had to surrender my licence, i need it for work and my own car and freedom to use it are important to me being relatively happy. With the recent plane crash and the public attitude towards depression it has made me even more apprehensive to speak to my GP. I'm not sure how much longer i can feel the way i do though, i'm sat here now near tears as i'm exhausted from considering what to do, i've entertained suicide thoughts occasionally (over the 10 years or so) but i don't really want to die but that said i don't really want to live either as i find little pleasure in anything anymore and every day is effort. I feel like a [Poor language removed] because my moods effecting my family as well, i just don't know what to do or feel anymore, just going through the motions somehow but i'm worried for myself and think i might need help

I can only echo what @the esk says mate. Take it from me you aren't going to have you're driving licence being taken away , so forget about that. As a sufferer of over ten years, never once has my driving licence been mentioned and I,ve been through the system. If you're parents haven't suffered themself, they wont understand as they've never experienced it. However the fact that you've told them means that they're there for you and that's going to be important with any treatment you get. Once you've been to your GP you'll walk out and feel like a massive weight has been lifted.

I have been exactly where you are now. An example I,ll use is that when I walked down the road, I didn't see the trees or hear the birds, I saw then rubbish in the gutter and the dog crap on the pavement . In short you stop seeing or feeling anything positive at all. That's depression , there's stuff going on in you're brain that's not right. It can be fixed, but there's no quick fix.

You've taken a massive step in the right direction by telling your parents, the next one is going to your GP. Tell your GP everything that you've posted on here , trust me he / she will want to know . The more info they're have the more they can help. Theres no shame in being ill mate. Try and think of it as an illness just like any other illness, because that's what it is.

Keep posting as theres loads on here to support you.

Ps - have a look at this online community - THE MENTAL HEALTH FORUM.

NHS run, you have to join to post, but you'll find a lot of help and support on there too.

I can only echo what @the esk says mate. Take it from me you aren't going to have you're driving licence being taken away , so forget about that. As a sufferer of over ten years, never once has my driving licence been mentioned and I,ve been through the system. If you're parents haven't suffered themself, they wont understand as they've never experienced it. However the fact that you've told them means that they're there for you and that's going to be important with any treatment you get. Once you've been to your GP you'll walk out and feel like a massive weight has been lifted.

I have been exactly where you are now. An example I,ll use is that when I walked down the road, I didn't see the trees or hear the birds, I saw then rubbish in the gutter and the dog crap on the pavement . In short you stop seeing or feeling anything positive at all. That's depression , there's stuff going on in you're brain that's not right. It can be fixed, but there's no quick fix.

You've taken a massive step in the right direction by telling your parents, the next one is going to your GP. Tell your GP everything that you've posted on here , trust me he / she will want to know . The more info they're have the more they can help. Theres no shame in being ill mate. Try and think of it as an illness just like any other illness, because that's what it is.

Keep posting as theres loads on here to support you.

Ps - have a look at this online community - THE MENTAL HEALTH FORUM.

NHS run, you have to join to post, but you'll find a lot of help and support on there too.
One fine post there! Well written mate.

Hi Mate. Welcome, and thanks for sharing.

You raise some interesting points and have already had some quality responses, but I might add my 2c if you don't mind...

I think i need help but i'm scared, i've discussed it with my parents who have tried to be supportive but don't really understand what i'm going through,

You know, with respect, I bet your Parents know exactly what it is. The odd thing about depression is that IMHO, more people suffer from it than report it. I bet your Parents have been touched by it at some stage of their life but that's okay. Everyone is unique and one size does not fit all, which is why a professional should be sought for advice & support. Your Parents, as you have stated, have tried their best, but like most of us here, they aren't trained to understand all the signs like a Professional would.

We've seen many on here that don't have supportive Parents so you're off to a good start. Understand that whilst their support is currently missing the mark, they are trying to be there for you.

i worry that if i go to my GP and i'm diagnosed it may have negative effects on my future, an example is if i had to surrender my licence, i need it for work and my own car and freedom to use it are important to me being relatively happy. With the recent plane crash and the public attitude towards depression it has made me even more apprehensive to speak to my GP.

When a plane goes down, the armchair experts come out. Knee jerk reactions follow suit. There is no definitive proof that depression in an individual caused this crash & it should not be associated with it in my opinion. Others have pointed out that your licence is safe & I can think of no Statutes that would allow for the removal of a licence in your circumstances.

I'm not sure how much longer i can feel the way i do though, i'm sat here now near tears as i'm exhausted from considering what to do, i've entertained suicide thoughts occasionally (over the 10 years or so) but i don't really want to die but that said i don't really want to live my life like this either as i find little pleasure in anything anymore and every day is effort.

Good. We don't want you to leave us either. I have also rephrased the above sentence in red. It makes an important difference.

I feel like a [Poor language removed] because my moods effecting my family as well, i just don't know what to do or feel anymore, just going through the motions somehow but i'm worried for myself and think i might need help

Yes, you sound like you do need help...and that's a good thing. It's an important first step.

My moods affect my family as well. They know I'm going through a hard time, but my problems are work related. I do my best to seperate the two but occasionally I lose the grip for a bit. What works for me is to remove myself from their presence. I go & have an early night, I go and listen to music, go for a walk until I'm back in control & running my own show. It may or may not work for you but who knows. Reassure your folks that you just need a little time alone & they need not be concerned. One day, you can explain why you extricated yourself from their company temporarily.

Anyway, enough from this old wind bag. You're on your way to getting this thing sorted. Good for you!

I have been exactly where you are now. An example I,ll use is that when I walked down the road, I didn't see the trees or hear the birds, I saw then rubbish in the gutter and the dog crap on the pavement . In short you stop seeing or feeling anything positive at all. That's depression , there's stuff going on in you're brain that's not right. It can be fixed, but there's no quick fix..

This is such a good description.

You raise some interesting points and have already had some quality responses, but I might add my 2c if you don't mind...

You know, with respect, I bet your Parents know exactly what it is. The odd thing about depression is that IMHO, more people suffer from it than report it. I bet your Parents have been touched by it at some stage of their life but that's okay. Everyone is unique and one size does not fit all, which is why a professional should be sought for advice & support. Your Parents, as you have stated, have tried their best, but like most of us here, they aren't trained to understand all the signs like a Professional would.

We've seen many on here that don't have supportive Parents so you're off to a good start. Understand that whilst their support is currently missing the mark, they are trying to be there for you.

When a plane goes down, the armchair experts come out. Knee jerk reactions follow suit. There is no definitive proof that depression in an individual caused this crash & it should not be associated with it in my opinion. Others have pointed out that your licence is safe & I can think of no Statutes that would allow for the removal of a licence in your circumstances.

Good. We don't want you to leave us either. I have also rephrased the above sentence in red. It makes an important difference.

Yes, you sound like you do need help...and that's a good thing. It's an important first step.

My moods affect my family as well. They know I'm going through a hard time, but my problems are work related. I do my best to seperate the two but occasionally I lose the grip for a bit. What works for me is to remove myself from their presence. I go & have an early night, I go and listen to music, go for a walk until I'm back in control & running my own show. It may or may not work for you but who knows. Reassure your folks that you just need a little time alone & they need not be concerned. One day, you can explain why you extricated yourself from their company temporarily.

Anyway, enough from this old wind bag. You're on your way to getting this thing sorted. Good for you!

Some wonderful stuff there and well articulated.

Great stuff Sir!

Hi mate, there's not much more that I can add to what the likes of @the esk, @Coyb and @BiggyRat have said, but you have got the fight, to keep going as long as you have and to have the guts to post that on here. It sounds like you do need some help in getting through this point in your life, but don't let recent events stop you from seeking help. The worst case scenario is you have the misfortune to see a doctor who doesn't have a strength in mental health. If you do, please keep trying different doctors. It's bad that it has to be so trial and error, but the help is out there and it can turn your life around, even if it takes longer than you think.

Don't worry about your driving license. As others have said, and I can add my name to the list, it isn't something that will be taken off you. Keep coming back in here, as the advice you'll get can be great. If you're having a bad time as you are now, take the words people say as a great positive. We all care for each other here, and you'll get through it.

Hi all, hope everyone is okay! I've been avoiding all talk mental health for a couple of days given what's been in the media. One of those things (a bit like Martinez's post match interviews :p) that just grated every time I saw it. Anyway, I've done a bit of a piece on the media's reporting of mental health. I'm going to do a bit of an in-depth investigation into mental health reporting over the next six months. It would be great if anyone wanted to get involved/ help in anyway! Better than watching another slow paced England friendly (speaking as a Welshie :p)

http://www.youngneuronics.com/#!The-fallout-from-Germanwings/c193z/551aedd90cf215f35a2db1ef

Hi mate, just wondering how you're getting on ?.

Based on your description. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy CBT would be ideal for you.

Read whats involved and you can ask your gp for a referral (likely 12 months on nhs) or go private and see someone earlier.

I say this since there is no single underlying issue/cause you imply.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back