Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Through the course of my work, I've come across a few interesting projects (to me at least) that may add to this discussion. Some of them are quite heavy and research based so I'll try and make them as abridged as possible.

http://www.replacetheface.net/ is an Australian project whereby you participate in an interactive music video. You watch it alongside someone else from around the world, and are then encouraged to discuss the issues raised afterwards. It's aim is to encourage people to speak up.

Which is good, as a recent study found that talking about these things can reduce symptoms by around 30%.

The second project is still in research phase, but there's a paper on it here. It's basically a video analysis system. So people upload selfie videos, and the technology can look at things like heart rate, blinking rate and head movement rate, which they suggest can provide an indication of the persons mental state. It also monitors what we do online, social media posts and the like.

The third is an MIT led project called Panopoly (paper here). It looks specifically at cognitive reappraisal, and on one hand teaches people about this approach, and then gets people assessing their peers. So a user records an event they've experienced, together with their response to it. They then get feedback from others (and can give it themselves too) on how effective that response was, whether alternatives could be tried etc. The developer that built the tool is now trying to get it to market via a company called Koko in NY.

The fourth project has some similarities to the second, in that it uses some whizzy analytics. It's an app called LifeRhythm that aims to tap into the various sensors built into our phones to try and detect depression. For instance, GPS data might be used to determine how far people are venturing outside their homes. Speech may be analyzed via voice sensors, whilst accelerometers could be used to measure activity levels. Even phone records and SMS data could be used to understand communication patterns. It's currently undergoing testing to firm up the approach, but it does seem as though this kind of quantified self style analysis/diagnosis will become more mainstream in the coming years.

I've done a summary of the papers in a bit more detail in the two posts below if anyone wants to read more on them.

http://adigaskell.org/2015/02/09/ne...mpt-greater-discussion-around-mental-illness/

http://adigaskell.org/2015/04/01/how-the-crowd-and-mobile-can-help-fight-depression/

Through the course of my work, I've come across a few interesting projects (to me at least) that may add to this discussion. Some of them are quite heavy and research based so I'll try and make them as abridged as possible.

http://www.replacetheface.net/ is an Australian project whereby you participate in an interactive music video. You watch it alongside someone else from around the world, and are then encouraged to discuss the issues raised afterwards. It's aim is to encourage people to speak up.

Which is good, as a recent study found that talking about these things can reduce symptoms by around 30%.

The second project is still in research phase, but there's a paper on it here. It's basically a video analysis system. So people upload selfie videos, and the technology can look at things like heart rate, blinking rate and head movement rate, which they suggest can provide an indication of the persons mental state. It also monitors what we do online, social media posts and the like.

The third is an MIT led project called Panopoly (paper here). It looks specifically at cognitive reappraisal, and on one hand teaches people about this approach, and then gets people assessing their peers. So a user records an event they've experienced, together with their response to it. They then get feedback from others (and can give it themselves too) on how effective that response was, whether alternatives could be tried etc. The developer that built the tool is now trying to get it to market via a company called Koko in NY.

The fourth project has some similarities to the second, in that it uses some whizzy analytics. It's an app called LifeRhythm that aims to tap into the various sensors built into our phones to try and detect depression. For instance, GPS data might be used to determine how far people are venturing outside their homes. Speech may be analyzed via voice sensors, whilst accelerometers could be used to measure activity levels. Even phone records and SMS data could be used to understand communication patterns. It's currently undergoing testing to firm up the approach, but it does seem as though this kind of quantified self style analysis/diagnosis will become more mainstream in the coming years.

I've done a summary of the papers in a bit more detail in the two posts below if anyone wants to read more on them.

http://adigaskell.org/2015/02/09/ne...mpt-greater-discussion-around-mental-illness/

http://adigaskell.org/2015/04/01/how-the-crowd-and-mobile-can-help-fight-depression/
Great stuff...and interesting articles you have written there mate. ;)

Says that talking reduced symptoms by 30%, and talking is essentially what I wanted people to do, rather than bottle things up.

No, but I have a mate who ticks lots of the boxes according to his behaviour - would be no different to a woman sociopath. He genuinely feels has no conscience, feels no guilt or empathy ?.

Yes. They can fake emotions like guilt and empathy and other emotions like love - to "blend in" and hide their true intentions but the reality is they don't actually feel these at least not properly. Everything and everyone is a game to be played. Its all about them getting what they want. The female is less likely to use overt aggression - like the male sociopath - rather more subtle covert tactics and proxies to attack a target. (So their hands appear clean).

You can spot some one who fits this description by watching carefully.

Behind the public persona they put on for everyone of perfection ("if its too good to be true..." ; its called "projection") the reality is a disordered personality.

Who will lie. Deceive. Cheat. Be promiscuous I.e. use sex as a tool or to control others. Break the law if they think theyll get away with it (rules are for everyone else!!!). Steal. Make things up. Use "the pity play" (use emotional vulnerability to manipulate ... appear vulnerable - when in fact they aren't).

The female sociopath will give herself away given enough time but it may not be apparent until enough pattern of (real) behavior is seen.

I've encountered someone like this. In the past. They were/are a major cause of my depression. For various reasons. But the hidden pattern behind it all is classic case.

I have to keep reminding myself of the reality. Its hard because you can't believe someone can be like this as its not normal. Whats worse is you can't believe no one else sees it either.

I've seen something recently that shows this sociopath is projecting a perfect positive image. When I know the reality and damage she caused which is directly counter this image. Yet no one acknowledges it. Or would believe it.

Worse still this person seems to get away with it all too.

I still can't get my head around it.

Does anyone understand this or has experienced something similar? Plus understand how a disordered personailty like this could cause depression even now years later?

You guys (who have been using facebook for a while) know that it does those "On this day # years ago you made this post:"?

I know, as of just now.

[Poor language removed] facebook for that. Reminded me of things I didn't want to be reminded of, now I feel like crap again and I just need a drink and to hide, and the night at work went alright and everything and I was just feeling okay.

Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu

Yes. They can fake emotions like guilt and empathy and other emotions like love - to "blend in" and hide their true intentions but the reality is they don't actually feel these at least not properly. Everything and everyone is a game to be played. Its all about them getting what they want. The female is less likely to use overt aggression - like the male sociopath - rather more subtle covert tactics and proxies to attack a target. (So their hands appear clean).

You can spot some one who fits this description by watching carefully.

Behind the public persona they put on for everyone of perfection ("if its too good to be true..." ; its called "projection") the reality is a disordered personality.

Who will lie. Deceive. Cheat. Be promiscuous I.e. use sex as a tool or to control others. Break the law if they think theyll get away with it (rules are for everyone else!!!). Steal. Make things up. Use "the pity play" (use emotional vulnerability to manipulate ... appear vulnerable - when in fact they aren't).

The female sociopath will give herself away given enough time but it may not be apparent until enough pattern of (real) behavior is seen.

I've encountered someone like this. In the past. They were/are a major cause of my depression. For various reasons. But the hidden pattern behind it all is classic case.

I have to keep reminding myself of the reality. Its hard because you can't believe someone can be like this as its not normal. Whats worse is you can't believe no one else sees it either.

I've seen something recently that shows this sociopath is projecting a perfect positive image. When I know the reality and damage she caused which is directly counter this image. Yet no one acknowledges it. Or would believe it.

Worse still this person seems to get away with it all too.

I still can't get my head around it.

Does anyone understand this or has experienced something similar? Plus understand how a disordered personailty like this could cause depression even now years later?

A lot of what you describe above fits my mate perfectly, but bizarrely he would literally drop everything to help you and would also give you his last penny, which clouds the issue somewhat.

I have recently read this book - Confessions of a Sociopath.
image.webp

It's written under an alias by a high functioning female sociopath. It's quite text booky, but she gives an in depth insight into why sociopaths are the way they are. Literally they have no social or moral compass, as that's the way their brain works.

I think it could be a worthwhile read for you and is an eBay for £8.

Hope this helps mate .

You guys (who have been using facebook for a while) know that it does those "On this day # years ago you made this post:"?

I know, as of just now.

[Poor language removed] facebook for that. Reminded me of things I didn't want to be reminded of, now I feel like crap again and I just need a drink and to hide, and the night at work went alright and everything and I was just feeling okay.

Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu

Hi mate, sounds like you're having a bad one. Without stating the obvious I'd delete the Facebook account and that way you wont be tempted. I got rid of mine years ago after an old mate from school got in touch and it turns out he was a member of the BNP !

Hi mate, sounds like you're having a bad one. Without stating the obvious I'd delete the Facebook account and that way you wont be tempted. I got rid of mine years ago after an old mate from school got in touch and it turns out he was a member of the BNP !
Haha, better reason than mine, that!

It's not the facebook itself that worries me (plus I use it to keep in touch with all of my non-BNP friends lol ) - it's the fact that my "trigger" is a thought of a memory and that ruins a perfectly mediocre day...

I guess I didn't word that very well. Sorry to everyone. I meant is this ok? Serious? I checked in on a random page and noticed people just having a laugh and that was fine. haven't got all day to read the entire thread tho and I guess I took it out of context. My question should have been: Is this a pretty safe environment without p take to discuss something that I've never discussed before or is it just a free for all. I guees from a recent reaction and also a little more reading you're all pretty legit. This is feckin scary tho...

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back