Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Well... You CAN change some things, just nothing about Everton. Only thing you can change about Everton is whether you will let them ruin your weekend or not.
Totally agree, change the things you can and don’t let things beyond your control i.e. football results ruin your weekend. Back in the Dark Ages I dated a professional footballer and he never let a bad result ruin his weekend! In fact, he and his teammates were rather disinterested in football once they left the training ground.

I’ve had problems with my mental health for a while now, a mix of anxiety and can get angry quite easily, I’ve dealt well with it but Everton always brings it back. lol It brings anxiety and I get angry easily by the end of the game and it’s not good for my health. I want to watch Everton as a loyal supporter but it’s now causing physical health problems like stomach pains now.

Advice would help, I’d expect other people have had similar problems and how they got through it.
My problems are associated with a lack of grounding. Starting my day at 100 mph and neglecting self. I got some good advice to start my day slowly, drinking lemon in hot water and focusing on my senses. Also exercise, I got back on my bike today (which took some effort) but really helped. Also acknowledging I had an issue and that that in itself is not a problem, just something to manage. Finally, no screens at night, but a book (something light) to try to switch my brain off.

Sometimes gambling comes up as an issue in this thread , I picked this up following Jonathan Davies on Twitter , but it shows that it is possible to break addictions like gambling with help and support .

Jonathan Davies OBE replied

John Hartson
@JohnHartson10
·
10h
Today I am 10 years clean of Gambling.. feeling immensely proud of my wife’s support.. so many people to thank .. these past 10 years I’ve had my life back #gamblersanonymous . #onedayatatime Folded handsFisted hand

Sometimes gambling comes up as an issue in this thread , I picked this up following Jonathan Davies on Twitter , but it shows that it is possible to break addictions like gambling with help and support .

Jonathan Davies OBE replied

John Hartson
@JohnHartson10
·
10h
Today I am 10 years clean of Gambling.. feeling immensely proud of my wife’s support.. so many people to thank .. these past 10 years I’ve had my life back #gamblersanonymous . #onedayatatime Folded handsFisted hand

Congratulations mate, that’s some milestone and something to be immensely proud of.

Sorry if it wasn’t clear but it’s John Hartson the ex footballer who the Tweet refers to! He’s the hero here.
Must admit mate I was quite surprised when you revealed you used to have a gambling habit. :)

Seriously though, it isn't really something to joke about. My brother had a gambling problem 20 years ago when he was working on private hire cars, and it led to the break up of his marriage. He sorted his gambling problems out, but sadly not his marriage.

Must admit mate I was quite surprised when you revealed you used to have a gambling habit. :)

Seriously though, it isn't really something to joke about. My brother had a gambling problem 20 years ago when he was working on private hire cars, and it led to the break up of his marriage. He sorted his gambling problems out, but sadly not his marriage.
Well of course a gambling addiction could affect anybody you know and you’d likely not be aware of it initially. This is particularly so for younger people with it being so easy to do on smart phones. I’ve posted in here before that I have someone close who attends Gambling Anonymous and ive been to their meetings three times to support him on the anniversary of him becoming gambling free. Some amazing stories from amazing people get told , including the depression and despair they often go through . But essentially they are very much ordinary people leading ordinary lives until their world crumbles.

I sent the Hartson tweet to him and he replied saying it was listening to John Hartson on TalkSport talking about his gambling that he realised that gambling addiction was a real thing.

Well of course a gambling addiction could affect anybody you know and you’d likely not be aware of it initially. This is particularly so for younger people with it being so easy to do on smart phones. I’ve posted in here before that I have someone close who attends Gambling Anonymous and ive been to their meetings three times to support him on the anniversary of him becoming gambling free. Some amazing stories from amazing people get told , including the depression and despair they often go through . But essentially they are very much ordinary people leading ordinary lives until their world crumbles.

I sent the Hartson tweet to him and he replied saying it was listening to John Hartson on TalkSport talking about his gambling that he realised that gambling addiction was a real thing.
My new neighbour told me his wife has accrued 180,000€ of debt through gambling on her phone and sold of all he owned (present house ,cars kids quad bike et al. He knew nothing and her parents were aware of it going on but didn't stop it .
He has now bought a derelict house and is doing it up to take the kids with him .

When Allardyce was our manager ( spits ) I stopped going to the match and started going to watch Sale Sharks with my lad instead ( he plays rugby union )

Much to my surprise, I loved it and still go now.

I also go and watch York City when I`m in York( missus is from York ) and I really enjoy that too.

There`s more to life than Everton mate ;)
I know that! lol It’s just when it does happen it really can ruin my weekend and nights out after the game or with friends a few days later as I’m not in the mood.

I’ve had problems with my mental health for a while now, a mix of anxiety and can get angry quite easily, I’ve dealt well with it but Everton always brings it back. lol It brings anxiety and I get angry easily by the end of the game and it’s not good for my health. I want to watch Everton as a loyal supporter but it’s now causing physical health problems like stomach pains now.

Advice would help, I’d expect other people have had similar problems and how they got through it.
MK, an analogy for you. If you can to think of it like this. Take a glass of water. A normal glass of water. It's not heavy, holding it, it just isn't. But if you have to hold it ALL the time, over a period of time it starts to get heavy, a lot heavier than when you first picked it up. After a few days the glass is now heavy, and burdensome. So here's the thing MK, put the glass down. The burden is lifted. The glass of water is the thing that's causing your mental health to deteriorate. It's heavy to carry around. I felt the same way years ago when I was struggling with alcohol. I needed to lose the stress of my dependency. I managed it eventually, luckily quite quickly. I'd say to everybody, the first thing we need to do is identify the thing that's causing our mental distress and work as hard as we can to push it aside. Good luck buddy.

My problems are associated with a lack of grounding. Starting my day at 100 mph and neglecting self. I got some good advice to start my day slowly, drinking lemon in hot water and focusing on my senses. Also exercise, I got back on my bike today (which took some effort) but really helped. Also acknowledging I had an issue and that that in itself is not a problem, just something to manage. Finally, no screens at night, but a book (something light) to try to switch my brain off.
Good post this. Well said.

I had a breakdown last week. I was one of those that just ignored the signs are tried to crash through, don’t do it lads.

@Barnfred 55, that is beyond sad, hope the blues can help you
Im sorry you've experienced this BigDuke. Sometimes, when possible, we need rescuing from ourselves. Someone to say " what's up, your all over the place ". Go back to basics. What do I mean. Do nothing, look after yourself and if you can, get people to do the mundane things - paying bills, buying food etc. Your head is cluttered my friend, your " thinking " to much. Your priority is relaxation, give yourself a bit of time to read a book, watch a good movie, listen to some nice music, treat yourself to nice food and frankly be good to yourself. Above all buddy, please don't think too much. I promise you, there will be time LATER to address things. Cut yourself some slack, take care BigDuke, you deserve it.