Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

me again. just a message to all of you suffering at the moment or those that have someone they are worrying about. hang in there. do everything you possible can but don't give up. what a weekend eh? good wins for everton and Wrexham, them losing yesterday, last day of my cycle of chemo went to bed reasonably happy.
got woken up this morning to be told my brother had hung himself. we knew he was depressed and an alcoholic but you still don't see it coming. I just needed to get it out and this thread is the closest I feel to to air it. you've all been kind to me since I started posting on here and know most of you will understand. just feel lost at the moment not knowing what to do how I should feel or act. just been wandering around aimlessly for most of the afternoon. tried contacting people or visiting them to let them know but due to modern times they all knew already via facebook which was a bit upsetting. maybe i'm a bit hypocritical seeing as I am doing this. just feeling guilty at the moment as I should have done more but I know that is natural and it will pass. so all that need it take care.

Mate your going through an awful lot don't blame yourself. Sorry for your loss you have to try and stay strong even tho I know it's difficult right now. We all can't be everywere or do everything at once mate were only human ( unless we're superman) it's sometimes our heads overthinks things which tends to think of all scenarios. Stray strong mate and my sympathys to you and your family.

me again. just a message to all of you suffering at the moment or those that have someone they are worrying about. hang in there. do everything you possible can but don't give up. what a weekend eh? good wins for everton and Wrexham, them losing yesterday, last day of my cycle of chemo went to bed reasonably happy.
got woken up this morning to be told my brother had hung himself. we knew he was depressed and an alcoholic but you still don't see it coming. I just needed to get it out and this thread is the closest I feel to to air it. you've all been kind to me since I started posting on here and know most of you will understand. just feel lost at the moment not knowing what to do how I should feel or act. just been wandering around aimlessly for most of the afternoon. tried contacting people or visiting them to let them know but due to modern times they all knew already via facebook which was a bit upsetting. maybe i'm a bit hypocritical seeing as I am doing this. just feeling guilty at the moment as I should have done more but I know that is natural and it will pass. so all that need it take care.

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family, wbn.

Bad day today, lids.

Really bad.

Just the flicker of thinking about going 'home' just after dinner time today made everything come rushing back and I nearly lost the plot at work...

I can remember, DT, those first few days after my wife told me she wanted a divorce. Going into work was a struggle. Coming home was a struggle. I had to tell close friends at work because it was obvious that something was wrong with me, and just the act of letting people (whom I trusted) in made things a little better. Of course, then they got treated to the swing of emotions as I tried to deal with the upheaval those first few days.

As a teacher, when I was working with the kids, things were fine. You can sort of lose yourself in the activity of the moment. It's the idle moments that send one's mind to a million different places and are so tough to handle.

After the series of "firsts" are done, things will settle down into a semblance of normal. Once that happens, you can start moving forward again, even if only in little ways that only you notice.

shocking news that wbn... don't know what to say,thoughts to you and your family.

I am deeply sorry from the bottom of my heart. Here I am moaning about something like this, and you're suffering such an horrific time.

perspective can be a good thing but ultimately you can't control how things affect you or make you feel... depression is especially a fecker that way of course. i think that is part of the problem, maybe in this country particularly, we can think we don't have enough reason to be depressed, but it just doesn't work that way... it's not about having 'the right' to be affected by depression. an illness is an illness.

keep on battling and talking guys

Hey lads, me again.

I feel like utter crap. I don't have the motivation or power to even function at this point, but this is me going to work right now, because I also need the money cuz I'm borderline broke; I feel worthless and isolated, even though I talk to people and all that. Idk what to do, and I'm still yet to see a doctor cuz I'm afraid/anxious of anything and everything. I think I'm even uninteresting to my gf.

Sorry to vent a bit, but got no one/nothing else.

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

It's something I've been using as a mantra for a few days now...
Good mantra, that, but by it - I've got 0 wisdom lol

Hope at least everyone else is ok :)

Hey lads, me again.

I feel like utter crap. I don't have the motivation or power to even function at this point, but this is me going to work right now, because I also need the money cuz I'm borderline broke; I feel worthless and isolated, even though I talk to people and all that. Idk what to do, and I'm still yet to see a doctor cuz I'm afraid/anxious of anything and everything. I think I'm even uninteresting to my gf.

Mate, go and see the doctor. Don't put it off. And you seriously can't be that uninteresting or worthless, you have a gf!
Please go and speak to someone as these feelings are self induced and not based on reality.
Just go.

Hey lads, me again.

Have to agree with kithnou here. When you see a professional, they are focused on you & what is happening to you, it's well worth the investment of your time. Kithnou is also correct in pointing out that you have a gf but you think she sees you as uninteresting...she wouldn't be there if you were. Have a quiet word with her too. Let her know how you're feeling & she may just surprise you with support.

You may not want to ask because you fear the answer might be what you're dreading. If you are truly meant to be together, she'll stand by you. If not, you've learned something valuable about her. "In sickness and in health" is what they say on the Altar, if you go down that path, and that is essentially what you'd be discovering here.

Hey lads, me again.

Mate, I've been where you are now . As the others have said you must go and see a Doctor. Tell him / her what you have said on here. You have nothing to fear from a GP, they will have seen many people who feel the way you do and will want to help you. I would imagine that initially you'll be started on anti depressants, which contrary to popular belief aren't " happy pills ", they should make you feel " normal " again. Unfortunately it can take a while for them to work properly - usually 3 / 4 weeks, so have patience . Talking therapy / CBT should help too and there's been a big push on this recently - you may have heard or seen the ads ?. You're ill mate, it's just that your heads ill, which is nothing to be ashamed of.
Talk to your girlfriend, she will know already, but probably hasn't known how to approach the subject. You've taken a massive step to getting better by offloading on here mate, give yourself massive credit for that.

Thanks lads, appreciate it. I know I should grow some balls and go, but it's just... idk. Makes me feel bad, you know? I realised a long time ago I am ill in the mind, been to counselling and everything, and have had mindfulness to work with, which was great, but it stopped being so helpful a bit back :(

The part that makes me feel bad is the fact that I've realised I'm sick and that I feel even weaker by going to a doctr. I know it makes negative sense, but it's a very irrational fear to begin with.

@COYBL25 I've been around here quite a lot since the thread's inception (posted in the one before this one as well! Thread hipster here ffs), I've just gone back to a more of a reader role...

Hey lads, me again.

Well, you have enough wisdom to support the blues so you can't be that thick, can you?

Something that helps some people is this: write two short notes. The first is aimed at the doctor's receptionist & says something along the lines of, "Could I please have an emergency appt. I am extremely depressed and have sinister thoughts".

The second is aimed at the doctor: says much the same thing.

Why? Well, nt many people want to rock up at the receptionist's desk and says such things in front of other people. The second is because it starts a conversation with the doctor if you feel a bit foolish.

Thanks lads, appreciate it. I know I should grow some balls and go, but it's just... idk. Makes me feel bad, you know? I realised a long time ago I am ill in the mind, been to counselling and everything, and have had mindfulness to work with, which was great, but it stopped being so helpful a bit back :(

The part that makes me feel bad is the fact that I've realised I'm sick and that I feel even weaker by going to a doctr. I know it makes negative sense, but it's a very irrational fear to begin with.

@COYBL25 I've been around here quite a lot since the thread's inception (posted in the one before this one as well! Thread hipster here ffs), I've just gone back to a more of a reader role...
It's this negative feeling I'm trying to persuade people to lose.

It's not a weakness - seek the help you need, because it is there.

Hey lads, me again.

vent away. anytime you need to get something off your chest just type away. it's better than holding it in. hope you're feeling a bit better today.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back