Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I know it's easy to say mate but try and take things a little slower, I had pretty much the same situation and found my sister when I was about 17, spoke to her on the phone a few times and excitement got the better of me so I jumped on a train to go and meet her without any warning. She was initially over the moon but as things settled I think it was all a bit to full on for her and I eventually lost contact with her again and haven't seen her since.

You've got plenty of time to find out about each other and see each other, no need to do it all in the space of a few weeks, just try to keep in regular contact and make sure she knows you're about if she needs you, but don't force it because that's generally when it goes tits up.
cheers mate. Im not planning on going up there anytime soon, pre booking the tickets and all that. Havent been trying to pester her either haha dont want her to come back to 200 messages. But yeah, i can imagine you came across something similar to this though, just madness going on and not being the type to deal with it the right way.

I know it's easy to say mate but try and take things a little slower, I had pretty much the same situation and found my sister when I was about 17, spoke to her on the phone a few times and excitement got the better of me so I jumped on a train to go and meet her without any warning. She was initially over the moon but as things settled I think it was all a bit to full on for her and I eventually lost contact with her again and haven't seen her since.

You've got plenty of time to find out about each other and see each other, no need to do it all in the space of a few weeks, just try to keep in regular contact and make sure she knows you're about if she needs you, but don't force it because that's generally when it goes tits up.

Sound advice there. Both of you have got a lot to process and it's going to take time mate. You don't mention whether she has a family ?. If so she's going to have to work out how to explain everything to them too ?. She's probabaly as excited and anxious as you too, mixed with a bit of self doubt and fear same as you. Just take it at her pace mate, goes to show that Facebook does have its uses !

Alright Blues, I wasn't sure of where to post this due to it being a really happy post but due to the support of some of the posters on this thread when my wife had a miscarriage last August I decided to post it here.

I had a shocker of a few months from around April until late last year when I found out that my wife had had a miscarriage. It probably wasn't noticed too much on here as I wasn't the most active or influential of posters at the best of times (I'm the divvy that lost a bet and ended up having to have Andy Carroll as my avi), but I've had a pretty big break from this website.

It was such a traumatic time, I've been through this before a while ago in this thread but this is me just wanting to share how the story ended to the many kind and supportive members of GOT who helped me in a really dark time.

Tuesday May 12th, my beautiful wife Kayleigh gave birth to a perfect 8lbs 6oz baby boy.

Remember in any walk of life and however down you feel, it really is true that things can only get better.

It's always darkest before the dawn.

Thanks so much.

Alright Blues, I wasn't sure of where to post this due to it being a really happy post but due to the support of some of the posters on this thread when my wife had a miscarriage last August I decided to post it here.

I had a shocker of a few months from around April until late last year when I found out that my wife had had a miscarriage. It probably wasn't noticed too much on here as I wasn't the most active or influential of posters at the best of times (I'm the divvy that lost a bet and ended up having to have Andy Carroll as my avi), but I've had a pretty big break from this website.

It was such a traumatic time, I've been through this before a while ago in this thread but this is me just wanting to share how the story ended to the many kind and supportive members of GOT who helped me in a really dark time.

Tuesday May 12th, my beautiful wife Kayleigh gave birth to a perfect 8lbs 6oz baby boy.

Remember in any walk of life and however down you feel, it really is true that things can only get better.

Thanks so much.
Congratulations on the birth of your son my man. Life does have great moments after the toughest times.
Great to read this post! :)

just thought i'd post some positive news as things are quiet. off to zante tomorrow for my sons wedding. will be nice to get away from all the upheaval that's gone on this year. still a bit apprehensive about the trip as i'm travelling without any medical insurance ( over £1000 ) but that's a small inconvenience. hope everyone has good times whilst i'm away. hwyl fawr.

just thought i'd post some positive news as things are quiet. off to zante tomorrow for my sons wedding. will be nice to get away from all the upheaval that's gone on this year. still a bit apprehensive about the trip as i'm travelling without any medical insurance ( over £1000 ) but that's a small inconvenience. hope everyone has good times whilst i'm away. hwyl fawr.
Congratulations and have a great time. You deserve it! Enjoy :)

It's the perfect place to post it & a hearty congrats to you both!!!

There'll be folks reading this that will realise that wonderful things can happen if you just keep at it. If you just give yourself a chance, who knows how far you can go or how much you can achieve!

Next time I'm in a decent establishment, I shall raise a glass to you, your Wife, and all of your children!

Thanks so much.

Brilliant news, congratulations to you both :celebrate:

Congratulations to your son and his lovely wife to be. Now get out there and enjoy yourself :dance:

(Sorry for how long this ended up being)

I've just spent a half hour reading through this thread to see what I've missed and I'd like to just say something which I hope will inspire people into a different way of thinking.

I'm a 24 year old man with not much experience at being an adult after a strange period of my life where I was in a coma for 3 years from my 18th birthday until I was 21. It's a really strange experience for 3 years of your life to pass you by, at such an important time where I was right in the middle of doing my a levels. My girlfriend (now wife) had stuck by me for the whole 3 years and I have the utmost respect for her as an 18 year old girl to come and see me once a week for the whole 3 years and 4 months, missing just a few weeks. Through those 3 years I missed my niece being born and the deterioration and death of 2 of my grandparents as well as a family dog who I had grown up with and loved very much.

When I 'woke up' it was a strange sensation as I remembered the last things that had happened in my life like they had just happened, but then to be told it was 2012 and I'd missed 3 years of my life; it took months to get over. 3 really important people in my life before my accident had died, I had a niece that was almost 3 who didn't have a clue who her uncle Andy was, and due to timing I had missed out on all of my qualifications.

Needless to say when being told the story by my close friends and family of how my then girlfriend had acted to come into the hospital, read to me, change my clothes, style my hair and even play my favourite songs in my ears through headphones, I took some inheritance from grandparents and bought an engagement ring, took her to Paris and proposed.

When I was ready I went to Liverpool College and did a Journalism BTEC for 2 years which then was followed a NCTJ course which led me to my job that I have now as a researcher for the Liverpool ECHO.

People in this thread have been up to date with the story of my wife having a miscarriage and after the ordeal I had been through and how that had affected me it made it feel as if the 3 years of hard work I had done to get myself back to where I had been as a person and had made some progress into my life in terms of work, qualifications and getting married. When my wife, Kayleigh, had the miscarriage we were both devastated as we felt ready to start our family, she'd given up her modelling career after getting pregnant and it all got to her. She went into a deep deep depression and we resolved the situation by both going to individual therapy sessions and we got the advice to try again, which we did and due to a seemingly high fertility in one or both of us, Kayleigh was pregnant again and although it was a very quick and painful process, it blew over very quickly and we moved on.

The thing I really want people to take from this post is that no matter how dark your situation or even if you are a lifeless lump of bones for three years, you have people there for you. You might not even know them yet, you might have known them your whole life, but you need to trust those people with the responsibility of making you happy again, making you yourself again, because they care for you and love you so much that that is their priority; to see you happy. This ranges from family to friends to your GP to everybody on this thread. People can have this unruly quality of making other people feel brilliant, as bad as it seems your own brain wants to make things.

Now I have a son, a wife, a life, a job and most importantly of all, happiness. And it's absolutely brilliant. This post is to try and persuade people to join me where I am now, it's a long and difficult process but with the help of yourself and the help of others, you can do it! Good luck :)

I've just spent a half hour reading through this thread to see what I've missed and I'd like to just say something which I hope will inspire people into a different way of thinking.

I'm a 24 year old man with not much experience at being an adult after a strange period of my life where I was in a coma for 3 years from my 18th birthday until I was 21. It's a really strange experience for 3 years of your life to pass you by, at such an important time where I was right in the middle of doing my a levels. My girlfriend (now wife) had stuck by me for the whole 3 years and I have the utmost respect for her as an 18 year old girl to come and see me once a week for the whole 3 years and 4 months, missing just a few weeks. Through those 3 years I missed my niece being born and the deterioration and death of 2 of my grandparents as well as a family dog who I had grown up with and loved very much.

When I 'woke up' it was a strange sensation as I remembered the last things that had happened in my life like they had just happened, but then to be told it was 2012 and I'd missed 3 years of my life; it took months to get over. 3 really important people in my life before my accident had died, I had a niece that was almost 3 who didn't have a clue who her uncle Andy was, and due to timing I had missed out on all of my qualifications.

Needless to say when being told the story by my close friends and family of how my then girlfriend had acted to come into the hospital, read to me, change my clothes, style my hair and even play my favourite songs in my ears through headphones, I took some inheritance from grandparents and bought an engagement ring, took her to Paris and proposed.

When I was ready I went to Liverpool College and did a Journalism BTEC for 2 years which then was followed a NCTJ course which led me to my job that I have now as a researcher for the Liverpool ECHO.

People in this thread have been up to date with the story of my wife having a miscarriage and after the ordeal I had been through and how that had affected me it made it feel as if the 3 years of hard work I had done to get myself back to where I had been as a person and had made some progress into my life in terms of work, qualifications and getting married. When my wife, Kayleigh, had the miscarriage we were both devastated as we felt ready to start our family, she'd given up her modelling career after getting pregnant and it all got to her. She went into a deep deep depression and we resolved the situation by both going to individual therapy sessions and we got the advice to try again, which we did and due to a seemingly high fertility in one or both of us, Kayleigh was pregnant again and although it was a very quick and painful process, it blew over very quickly and we moved on.

The thing I really want people to take from this post is that no matter how dark your situation or even if you are a lifeless lump of bones for three years, you have people there for you. You might not even know them yet, you might have known them your whole life, but you need to trust those people with the responsibility of making you happy again, making you yourself again, because they care for you and love you so much that that is their priority; to see you happy. This ranges from family to friends to your GP to everybody on this thread. People can have this unruly quality of making other people feel brilliant, as bad as it seems your own brain wants to make things.

Now I have a son, a wife, a life, a job and most importantly of all, happiness. And it's absolutely brilliant. This post is to try and persuade people to join me where I am now, it's a long and difficult process but with the help of yourself and the help of others, you can do it! Good luck :)
Possibly the most amazing post I have read in here. Thank you Andy. Just amazing. God Bless you and your family.

I've lived twice as long as you, but haven't nearly lived as much as you! It seems to me that you've caught up on those 3 years and carried on.

Well played Sir! An amazing life story to share.;)

Last edited:

Wow great story mate.
Congrats on your new addition.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back