Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

to be honest, been thinking about when my course ends in a few years, moving to a different country for a short time, thinking it might help me with where i'm at in my mind set.

I dunno' it just really feels like England is constricting / suffocating for some reason, in my head, and even though i obviously love my family and friends here, being here just sort of makes me feel worse, whilst when i'm in different places for a while (used to stay in Tenerife for a few months) i feel so much better and away from England.

Meh i'll see.

(sorry for the random late night rant)

to be honest, been thinking about when my course ends in a few years, moving to a different country for a short time, thinking it might help me with where i'm at in my mind set.

I dunno' it just really feels like England is constricting / suffocating for some reason, in my head, and even though i obviously love my family and friends here, being here just sort of makes me feel worse, whilst when i'm in different places for a while (used to stay in Tenerife for a few months) i feel so much better and away from England.

Meh i'll see.

I done it years ago and it was great for getting out of a rut. It's so much easier now too with social media and Skype, FaceTime etc to keep in touch with all those close to you.

From a mood point of view it's also good to plan and have something to look forward to, and anticipate. Plus you'll always look back fondly on it and come out better for the experience.

Make it happen lid. I've lived in Tenerife too and it's sound if you want a good social scene.

I done it years ago and it was great for getting out of a rut. It's so much easier now too with social media and Skype, FaceTime etc to keep in touch with all those close to you.

From a mood point of view it's also good to plan and have something to look forward to, and anticipate. Plus you'll always look back fondly on it and come out better for the experience.

Make it happen lid. I've lived in Tenerife too and it's sound if you want a good social scene.
Cheers mate, will most definitely do it knowing my own mind set, just got to focus on getting the stuff i have on now finished and then just doing it. It gives me time to decide where, sort of thinking of going somewhere a bit random, where i know no one or not much about the culture and just.. seeing where it takes me.

Just one thing which helped me. I have been under a lot of stress and it obviously effected my mood and quality of life. Big thing was for me not sleeping well as it would continue over to the next day and accumulate.

Doctor recently gave me some sleeping drop things to put in water to help me sleep and it's made a big difference. Wake up much more level.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea and seen meditation as a good alternative below. But can't underestimate the power of good quality and regular sleep. I'm also throwing myself into training to help.

Best wishes everyone. Things will be sound, they always are.

Cheers mate, will most definitely do it knowing my own mind set, just got to focus on getting the stuff i have on now finished and then just doing it. It gives me time to decide where, sort of thinking of going somewhere a bit random, where i know no one or not much about the culture and just.. seeing where it takes me.
This is the best part, it leads to excitement and opportunity a lot of the time.

Really make sure you make it happen mate. Plan for it and go to it. I lived in loads of different places for 15 years and it helped me develop. Loads of my mates had the chance and didn't. So don't delay and start looking into it.

Think of the minge.

This is the best part, it leads to excitement and opportunity a lot of the time.

Really make sure you make it happen mate. Plan for it and go to it. I lived in loads of different places for 15 years and it helped me develop. Loads of my mates had the change and didn't. So don't delay and start looking into it.

Think of the minge.
Thanks for the advice mate. I'll make sure i don't let this one get away, let a few opportunities in life pass me by now, so need to be determined on this one.

I think we all have our up's and downs. Life is like this novel you're reading except you're the main character in the novel. Im actually not sure that makes sense but i have to share with you probably the lowest moment in my life. In fact im so scarred by it i divide my life into two sections. There was my life before the incident and my life after the incident. It was my first day on this work experience program. I was one of a number of unemployed people assigned for this program. At first i was delighted at the opportunity to update my stagnate CV with a view to hopefully gaining full time employment. Anyway my first day at work was a disaster. I was flustered. I was a nervous wreck and basically it was a disaster of a day. At the end i was just shattered and i was relieved when the day was over. So of i go to the backroom where the staff leave their belongings to grab my jacket and head off home. The next thing the boss barges in the door and starts speaking at me in a very loud and bellowing voice. Hey man i don't mean to offend you or anything but i can smell you. It wasn't so much being told that i smell like crap it was the blunt forceful way he delivered that line that knocked me for six. He kept on talking but i was rocked to the very core after that first sentence. I just sort of walked out of there in a dazed and manner and to be honest i still can't quite remember how i made it home that evening. I felt that hurt humiliated and embarrassed. Thankfully things improved after that i gradually started becoming better at doing my jobs and tasks and the boss turned out to be sound enough in the end. But i still don't think i have fully recovered from the way my first day there ended.

Thanks for the advice mate. I'll make sure i don't let this one get away, let a few opportunities in life pass me by now, so need to be determined on this one.
I recommend leaving the country to anyone. Even if it's just to discover that you were already were you wanted/needed to be. It's good to combine those ideas of having a plan and something to look forward to but also seeing where it takes you. We all need to put the magic in our lives.
Good luck whatever you do and wherever you end up.

Just one thing which helped me. I have been under a lot of stress and it obviously effected my mood and quality of life. Big thing was for me not sleeping well as it would continue over to the next day and accumulate.

Doctor recently gave me some sleeping drop things to put in water to help me sleep and it's made a big difference. Wake up much more level.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea and seen meditation as a good alternative below. But can't underestimate the power of good quality and regular sleep. I'm also throwing myself into training to help.

Best wishes everyone. Things will be sound, they always are.

Out of interest mate, what are the sleeping drops called ?

I haven't slept properly for over a decade due to anxiety problems. I take a combination of herbal products, which do help, but don't stop me from waking at around 4am - 5am, even if I've gone to bed bladdered !.

Out of interest mate, what are the sleeping drops called ?

I haven't slept properly for over a decade due to anxiety problems. I take a combination of herbal products, which do help, but don't stop me from waking at around 4am - 5am, even if I've gone to bed bladdered !.
I use valerian root usually, but Nytol is a good alternative for me at least. Have you tried it?

Meh i'll see.

I did it after I got out of a coma mate, best thing I've ever done. Mine was impulsive really due to missing out on so much I thought I'd experience something else so I moved to Brussels with my girlfriend for a couple of years. I intentionally chose a place that's only about an hours flight to Liverpool and as Chico said with social media these days it's really easy to stay in touch if you make the effort. Jobs are a lot easier to find there too if you can learn the language that helps. Good luck mate ;)

I use valerian root usually, but Nytol is a good alternative for me at least. Have you tried it?

I've used them all. I use Valerian, ZMA and something called L- Trypothan.
I also use a sleep mask, have blackout blinds and no electrical items at all in my bedroom . I get to sleep no problem, but the anxiety kicks in around 4am - 5 am and wakes me with a mad rush. It's made much worse if I've been drinking, which is why I don't overdo it anymore, as the day after can be like hell.

I know what causes it - a chemical in the brain which is released as part of the waking process - cortisol. In people without problems this is released slowly, so you gently wake up. With people with anxiety problems ( me ) it's released almost on turbo, hence the massive anxiety rush at a time in the morning when the gentle waking process should begin.

Nytol and other products don't stop the morning anxiety rush. I've learnt to live without now, as it's been like this for over a decade.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back