Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I've used them all. I use Valerian, ZMA and something called L- Trypothan.
I also use a sleep mask, have blackout blinds and no electrical items at all in my bedroom . I get to sleep no problem, but the anxiety kicks in around 4am - 5 am and wakes me with a mad rush. It's made much worse if I've been drinking, which is why I don't overdo it anymore, as the day after can be like hell.

I know what causes it - a chemical in the brain which is released as part of the waking process - cortisol. In people without problems this is released slowly, so you gently wake up. With people with anxiety problems ( me ) it's released almost on turbo, hence the massive anxiety rush at a time in the morning when the gentle waking process should begin.

Nytol and other products don't stop the morning anxiety rush. I've learnt to live without now, as it's been like this for over a decade.
Ah, right. Nytol somehow helped me, and right now I'm okay enough to sleep nearly properly (haha, the way this sounds!) to not need it. I'm usually in a similar boat though.

Hope Chico's thing helps!

Feeling better today, just being at home alone, especially when I'm not in a relationship makes me feel very alone. This time of year starts to get worse as well, Im out at football most night but that just delays the onset of that fear of loneliness when I get back and shut the door to my flat. My sleeping at the moment is still quite good although waking at 3am I have been able to get back off to sleep, exhausted.

I wish I could learn to be happy in myself without a relationship but the fear of being alone when I get old is intense. Again, this is a cycle I cant get out of, feel lonely, hook up with someone on Dating Site, go's well for a few weeks or so, then a few months in I lose interest and my football hobby gets in the way, my kids take priority over the relationship and before you know it the GF is complaining I'm distant, dont have enough time for her, I lose even more interest and the relationship ends a few months in, then I'm back to enjoying being on my own the majority of the time, get up to Goodison etc, then the dark depressed feeling I'm lonely..........and then it happens again.

What is your football hobby mate ?

I am the assistant manager of a semi pro local team who play in the United Counties League Division, Obviously busy myself with training, watching games, travelling to games and preparing etc, I love it but not many women concur with me. So usually a game Saturday and Tuesday nights and if not training Tuesday and Saturday, tonight I'm going to watch a match within our division and yesterday I was at a Southern league team for four hours watching their training and signing four full timers on loan for our club as we need a player injection, our budget is low.

Ok, who's the team ? I was a mad keen groundhopper for many years, but of recent I only do one a week now, sometimes I was doing two or three a week. I have done quite a few in the United Counties League.

I dont get the ground hopping, Ive thought about it and I have the means to do it but I think I would feel a bit sad and even more lonely travelling about. (sorry)

I dont get the ground hopping, Ive thought about it and I have the means to do it but I think I would feel a bit sad and even more lonely travelling about. (sorry)
I've always wanted to do that myself, especially around England, but my mate who wants to do the same is back home in Bulgaria with little-to-no chance of coming over to the UK yet. One day though!

As to the depression - it is a rut, no doubt. Often a slight change of routine helps massively, like even going for a walk or up a mountain or something like that. I know it's gonna seem like it'll be a bit boring to do that alone, but if you can find some audio book or anything like that - it would still work... I'm really crap at giving advice though really, but I'm sure someone will be here with something more adequate to say pretty soon. Chin up mate! :)

Do you mind if I ask you a few questions about the footy over PM's by the way? Quite keen on management/assisting myself, having done it on a low level back home before...

I've always wanted to do that myself, especially around England, but my mate who wants to do the same is back home in Bulgaria with little-to-no chance of coming over to the UK yet. One day though!

As to the depression - it is a rut, no doubt. Often a slight change of routine helps massively, like even going for a walk or up a mountain or something like that. I know it's gonna seem like it'll be a bit boring to do that alone, but if you can find some audio book or anything like that - it would still work... I'm really crap at giving advice though really, but I'm sure someone will be here with something more adequate to say pretty soon. Chin up mate! :)

Do you mind if I ask you a few questions about the footy over PM's by the way? Quite keen on management/assisting myself, having done it on a low level back home before...
Nothing crap about that advice mate.

Feeling better today, just being at home alone, especially when I'm not in a relationship makes me feel very alone. This time of year starts to get worse as well, Im out at football most night but that just delays the onset of that fear of loneliness when I get back and shut the door to my flat. My sleeping at the moment is still quite good although waking at 3am I have been able to get back off to sleep, exhausted.

I wish I could learn to be happy in myself without a relationship but the fear of being alone when I get old is intense. Again, this is a cycle I cant get out of, feel lonely, hook up with someone on Dating Site, go's well for a few weeks or so, then a few months in I lose interest and my football hobby gets in the way, my kids take priority over the relationship and before you know it the GF is complaining I'm distant, dont have enough time for her, I lose even more interest and the relationship ends a few months in, then I'm back to enjoying being on my own the majority of the time, get up to Goodison etc, then the dark depressed feeling I'm lonely..........and then it happens again.

Mate, I think you already know this deep down. Put yourself in the shoes of your ex girlfriends and ask yourself, how would you like to be way down the list of priorities ?. A relationship if it's going to last is about compromises. The only way you can have it all is if you happen to find a girl who loves footy as much as you do. You can't have it all mate.

Sorry to be so harsh.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back