Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I'm relatively new here, but I just wanted to share my experience with depression.

I had a psychological breakdown/episode about two years ago where i resorted to some self-harm. I hurt myself so bad I had to go to the hospital. In Florida (the state I live in in the US), I fell under whats known as the Baker Act - a law that was designed to help addicts and psychologically uneasy people. Essentially, it keeps the people that need psychological help out of jail or people who are harming themselves from doing anything too serious.

I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and was prescribed Duloxetine, an SSRI. Throughout the initial process, I felt weird, different, out of place, etc. I think a lot of that has to do with society's views on psychological disorders. I had adopted many of those misconceptions. I knew I had a problem for years, but I felt like if I got help, I would admit that I am crazy. The thing is, in that state, you don't realize why depression is... well, happening.

Learning about the process that happens with receptors in the brain opened up a whole new world to me! Learning about other disorders that are linked to receptor imbalances gave me a whole new outlook on this. I learned that I can love myself even though I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder. And that was what led me to research the anthropological/social aspect of depression and psychological disorders.

With that, I learned that the majority of the people around us don't understand psychological phenomena, even those who are suffering from depression and the like. To this day, several family members of mine tease me. It would have bothered me in the past, but understanding created a whole new outlook.

I recently got off Duloxetine and feel fantastic! Just wanted to share my story. If it helps just one person to get professional, medical help, then I've done a good deed. :)

Great post mate, thank you for sharing, would be good to hear more from you on this thread, I think you would help a lot of people!

I'm relatively new here, but I just wanted to share my experience with depression.

I had a psychological breakdown/episode about two years ago where i resorted to some self-harm. I hurt myself so bad I had to go to the hospital. In Florida (the state I live in in the US), I fell under whats known as the Baker Act - a law that was designed to help addicts and psychologically uneasy people. Essentially, it keeps the people that need psychological help out of jail or people who are harming themselves from doing anything too serious.

I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and was prescribed Duloxetine, an SSRI. Throughout the initial process, I felt weird, different, out of place, etc. I think a lot of that has to do with society's views on psychological disorders. I had adopted many of those misconceptions. I knew I had a problem for years, but I felt like if I got help, I would admit that I am crazy. The thing is, in that state, you don't realize why depression is... well, happening.

Learning about the process that happens with receptors in the brain opened up a whole new world to me! Learning about other disorders that are linked to receptor imbalances gave me a whole new outlook on this. I learned that I can love myself even though I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder. And that was what led me to research the anthropological/social aspect of depression and psychological disorders.

With that, I learned that the majority of the people around us don't understand psychological phenomena, even those who are suffering from depression and the like. To this day, several family members of mine tease me. It would have bothered me in the past, but understanding created a whole new outlook.

I recently got off Duloxetine and feel fantastic! Just wanted to share my story. If it helps just one person to get professional, medical help, then I've done a good deed. :)

Great post mate. When you get a chance can you post about your research, particularity the area of receptor imbalance ?.

Could please post in plain English as much as possible for the sufferers on here . I know from my own experiences of depression / anxiety, that I found it extremely difficult to read jargon heavy med speak due difficulty with concentration which came about as a result of my condition / meds ;)

Great post mate. When you get a chance can you post about your research, particularity the area of receptor imbalance ?.

Could please post in plain English as much as possible for the sufferers on here . I know from my own experiences of depression / anxiety, that I found it extremely difficult to read jargon heavy med speak due difficulty with concentration which came about as a result of my condition / meds ;)

OK I may get a bit technical, so I will try to make analogies so it's easy to understand.

As modern medicine stands, there is general consensus that the affected receptors in the brain (when it comes to depression, of course... as well as other disorders) are norepinephrine, serotonin, dopamine. Before I get into what we think they do, we should probably go over what receptors are and what they do.

Back in the day, we used to think brain cells dictated how we felt. We now know brain cells, for the most part, make up the tissue parts of the brain (in other words, the pink meat). It's the chemicals (what we call receptors) that dictate our feelings.

I'd like to stop right here and remind everyone that this is based on theory and research. I know many people who think I am blaspheming and only promoting big pharm and big medicine's view on psychology and psychological treatment. However, I am one to always concede to the professionals' (psychologists, psychiatrists, and other doctors) general consensus.

That being said, think of these chemicals as notes in music. In music, you have to find a balanced amount of notes to create a cord, or a nice melody, or whatever. You can't just place a bunch of notes down and say hey here is my masterpiece. The brain works similarly. Not all of the brain's receptors are actively stimulated. It depends on the situation you are in. But many receptors are in play at once in the brain: some more at some times than others.

In general, dopamine is the "reward receptor." Dopamine is also heavily affected by drug use. A dopamine imbalance is usually incarnated in a depressed person in the following way: not being excited to eat his or her favorite food, not excited to go to a football game, not excited to see a movie, go out, etc.

Norepinephrine is essentially adrenaline, but in your brain. It's the "stressful situation receptor."

Serotonin is a receptor that is involved in many normal body functions: mood, eating, sex, aggression, and sleep. Not sure what the research is on insomnia and depression, but I can't find it too hard to imagine that both are linked in some situations.

There are several things researchers have noticed about receptors. 1) There were many many more than originally thought, and there is still more to know about them (e.g. there is some research that suggests there is another receptor at play in depression - glutamate... but that's a whole other topic for a whole other time). 2) High levels in receptors will end up withdrawing into low levels over time. Think of it like what happens in a tsunami. The shoreline, before a tsunami, goes out far into the ocean. That line recedes much farther than normal. But that's because what is coming is an enormous tsunami. In other words, an intense, say, serotonin stimulus, for example, will result in an intense serotonin withdrawal. This is what happens when you have MDMA withdrawals.

We also know about things like re-uptake (which, again, is stimulated when taking MDMA) and the sort. Again, this is another concept that we can go on and on about. But what I am trying to hammer home is that how receptors behave is very complex. Many are at play all at once in the brain. Certain receptor levels fluctuate more at different times than others that may be higher (or lower) than others. Etc. etc. So it's like a big science lab rig with different substances in the different tubes running at different levels from one way to the other. It's a crazy, fluctuating, environment. And it's all dictated by electricity, or synapses. Another thing we can go on and on about.

I'm no medical expert, so I may have some inconsistencies in my analogies and understanding. My scope of analysis may also be different from someone who may like more macrocosmic or microcosmic points of view. I just feel I am describing how I was made to understand, and how someone in the same position as myself would understand. I am happy to help explain anything to the best of my ability.

I am also willing to meet up over a beer in several weeks for those in Liverpool. I will be there for match against Man U.

Excllent stuff there .

May I add another chemical produced by the brain and is believed to be a major contributor to anxiety disorders and insomnia : Cortisol.

In normal circs it's released gradually within the brain as part of the waking up process. In some people with anxiety disorders it's released in a rush, so they wake up almost instantly with a flood of anxiety. Combines with serotonin and adrenaline as part of the mood process too.

This means the person wakes up in a high state of anxiety which can remain for a long time until the mood stabilisers sort themselves out.

Again, would not appear to be fully understood in medical circles .

Excllent stuff there .

May I add another chemical produced by the brain and is believed to be a major contributor to anxiety disorders and insomnia : Cortisol.

In normal circs it's released gradually within the brain as part of the waking up process. In some people with anxiety disorders it's released in a rush, so they wake up almost instantly with a flood of anxiety. Combines with serotonin and adrenaline as part of the mood process too.

This means the person wakes up in a high state of anxiety which can remain for a long time until the mood stabilisers sort themselves out.

Again, would not appear to be fully understood in medical circles .
Anxiety can be worse when tired. I try to manage this by resting properly.

Difficult with two kids, one of which is 5 weeks old lol

I manage it much better these days, now I understand it a bit more and accept that I have it.

Don't be scared to accept that you may have a problem. It's often the first step to getting your life back.

OK I may get a bit technical, so I will try to make analogies so it's easy to understand.

As modern medicine stands, there is general consensus that the affected receptors in the brain (when it comes to depression, of course... as well as other disorders) are norepinephrine, serotonin, dopamine. Before I get into what we think they do, we should probably go over what receptors are and what they do.

Back in the day, we used to think brain cells dictated how we felt. We now know brain cells, for the most part, make up the tissue parts of the brain (in other words, the pink meat). It's the chemicals (what we call receptors) that dictate our feelings.

I'd like to stop right here and remind everyone that this is based on theory and research. I know many people who think I am blaspheming and only promoting big pharm and big medicine's view on psychology and psychological treatment. However, I am one to always concede to the professionals' (psychologists, psychiatrists, and other doctors) general consensus.

That being said, think of these chemicals as notes in music. In music, you have to find a balanced amount of notes to create a cord, or a nice melody, or whatever. You can't just place a bunch of notes down and say hey here is my masterpiece. The brain works similarly. Not all of the brain's receptors are actively stimulated. It depends on the situation you are in. But many receptors are in play at once in the brain: some more at some times than others.

In general, dopamine is the "reward receptor." Dopamine is also heavily affected by drug use. A dopamine imbalance is usually incarnated in a depressed person in the following way: not being excited to eat his or her favorite food, not excited to go to a football game, not excited to see a movie, go out, etc.

Norepinephrine is essentially adrenaline, but in your brain. It's the "stressful situation receptor."

Serotonin is a receptor that is involved in many normal body functions: mood, eating, sex, aggression, and sleep. Not sure what the research is on insomnia and depression, but I can't find it too hard to imagine that both are linked in some situations.

There are several things researchers have noticed about receptors. 1) There were many many more than originally thought, and there is still more to know about them (e.g. there is some research that suggests there is another receptor at play in depression - glutamate... but that's a whole other topic for a whole other time). 2) High levels in receptors will end up withdrawing into low levels over time. Think of it like what happens in a tsunami. The shoreline, before a tsunami, goes out far into the ocean. That line recedes much farther than normal. But that's because what is coming is an enormous tsunami. In other words, an intense, say, serotonin stimulus, for example, will result in an intense serotonin withdrawal. This is what happens when you have MDMA withdrawals.

We also know about things like re-uptake (which, again, is stimulated when taking MDMA) and the sort. Again, this is another concept that we can go on and on about. But what I am trying to hammer home is that how receptors behave is very complex. Many are at play all at once in the brain. Certain receptor levels fluctuate more at different times than others that may be higher (or lower) than others. Etc. etc. So it's like a big science lab rig with different substances in the different tubes running at different levels from one way to the other. It's a crazy, fluctuating, environment. And it's all dictated by electricity, or synapses. Another thing we can go on and on about.

I'm no medical expert, so I may have some inconsistencies in my analogies and understanding. My scope of analysis may also be different from someone who may like more macrocosmic or microcosmic points of view. I just feel I am describing how I was made to understand, and how someone in the same position as myself would understand. I am happy to help explain anything to the best of my ability.

I am also willing to meet up over a beer in several weeks for those in Liverpool. I will be there for match against Man U.

Brilliant post mate, really interesting and informative.

I'll take you up on that beer ;)

Anxiety can be worse when tired. I try to manage this by resting properly.

Difficult with two kids, one of which is 5 weeks old lol

I manage it much better these days, now I understand it a bit more and accept that I have it.

Don't be scared to accept that you may have a problem. It's often the first step to getting your life back.

Spot on. I think a massive part to coping is identifying what things kick it off and then either avoiding these situations or if they are unavoidable try and prepare for them as best as you can. It makes me incredibly angry that anxiety disorders are virtually ignored by the medical profession. As such there's very little treatment other than CBT, Mindfullness etc, ( works for some / not others ). Unfortunately the medication that's available to treat anxiety is habit forming and as such is only short term. It's a very neglected area of mental health.

Hi everyone,

As you may have seen from the New Signings thread I'm @Robertor 's wife.

I've read this thread a few times and I know that my husband posted a bit about our story in the past, but I'd just like to reiterate that everyone on here is truly amazing, and I'd like to thank you all myself aswell.

This thread is one of the main reasons I've decided to join because as well as going through tough times in the past, I'm qualified in medicine and psychotherapy which hopefully can help people on here if they need me!

Much love to you all, it gets better! :)

Hi everyone,

I've read this thread a few times and I know that my husband posted a bit about our story in the past, but I'd just like to reiterate that everyone on here is truly amazing, and I'd like to thank you all myself aswell.

This thread is one of the main reasons I've decided to join because as well as going through tough times in the past, I'm qualified in medicine and psychotherapy which hopefully can help people on here if they need me!

Welcome to the site and this thread in particular. I remember you went through a terrible time and I'm glad this thread was of some benefit to you both at the time.

I was re-reading @Robertor's posts and I came across something I wrote with regards to looking for a positive in difficult circumstances, thought it worth re-saying:

You can't go through life without having difficulties at some stage, the effect of those difficulties is driven by your response to them - positive thinking even in a situation with a negative outcome always beats negative thinking.

I accept it's not easy and always possible to find a positive in some circumstances, but the process of seeking a positive is in itself helpful, and leads to brighter days..........

Welcome to the site and this thread in particular. I remember you went through a terrible time and I'm glad this thread was of some benefit to you both at the time.

I was re-reading @Robertor's posts and I came across something I wrote with regards to looking for a positive in difficult circumstances, thought it worth re-saying:

You can't go through life without having difficulties at some stage, the effect of those difficulties is driven by your response to them - positive thinking even in a situation with a negative outcome always beats negative thinking.

I accept it's not easy and always possible to find a positive in some circumstances, but the process of seeking a positive is in itself helpful, and leads to brighter days..........

Thank you!

I've re-read them myself and think that both of you speak brilliantly, your words are lovely.

I have a completely different outlook on things these days thanks mostly to my husbands positivity every day, his happiness rubs off on me!

It really can turn around in less time than you think, just a year or so down the line I couldn't have wished for a better turnaround in fortunes for us.

Thank you!

I've re-read them myself and think that both of you speak brilliantly, your words are lovely.

I have a completely different outlook on things these days thanks mostly to my husbands positivity every day, his happiness rubs off on me!

It really can turn around in less time than you think, just a year or so down the line I couldn't have wished for a better turnaround in fortunes for us.

That's great to hear (about you and your husband's happiness) - this thread has proved enormous value to many people, many of whom who have never contributed publicly as @Robertor did, but just read.

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the thread. I'm sure your own personal experiences and professional qualifications will prove to be of great help to those who post on here x.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back