Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Not sure whether this merits a place in this thread because it's not really a problem with any sort of depression, I'm just incredibly stressed at the moment.

Me, my wife and our baby have just moved to LA a couple of days ago. I'm just struggling to envisage how I'm going to settle down, apart from living in Belgium for a couple of years I've never lived outside Liverpool and just a month ago I wasn't expecting any difference, then I thought I was moving to London, now I'm a long haul flight away from Liverpool. It just feels really weird.

I suppose time would be the biggest healer and I love the place already, there's just a few things to take into consideration that I suppose I didn't prepare for.

On an unrelated note, it's World Mental Health Day today. It's raising awareness for a somewhat taboo subject for the majority of people, and I'd hate to think someone might read this thread, read an article about growing numbers in people looking for help or read whatever else and think they need help, but don't know where to turn. There's always help around you, people care more than you know!
Of course it does mate. I personally can't really help you with that as I'm more or less the same right now (minus the kid and wife bit lol ). I did, however, have to move away from home to come here in the first place and it was my first time so far away from home or even on a plane, nevermind the differences in culture. The situation is still very different for obvious reasons, but I'm sure you'll settle down well. Just take everything one thing/day at a time is my 'best' advice... Time, as you said, would do it's work for the rest, plus it helps that you like the place! :)

And to be honest that's very related! It's been said a lot before, but everyone is free to post how they feel here, we're here to help, not judge.

Of course it does mate. I personally can't really help you with that as I'm more or less the same right now (minus the kid and wife bit lol ). I did, however, have to move away from home to come here in the first place and it was my first time so far away from home or even on a plane, nevermind the differences in culture. The situation is still very different for obvious reasons, but I'm sure you'll settle down well. Just take everything one thing/day at a time is my 'best' advice... Time, as you said, would do it's work for the rest, plus it helps that you like the place! :)

And to be honest that's very related! It's been said a lot before, but everyone is free to post how they feel here, we're here to help, not judge.

We've literally only been here for 2 days and I haven't even started work yet, I guess it's just a bit of stress at the moment. It's probably something that no one can help me with, just need to let things play out I suppose. Thanks mate ;)

We've literally only been here for 2 days and I haven't even started work yet, I guess it's just a bit of stress at the moment. It's probably something that no one can help me with, just need to let things play out I suppose. Thanks mate ;)

Mate, temptation is to do everything at once. Best bet is take your time, do the essentials but take time to get to know the environment in which the three of you now live and will be living in for some time. Quality relaxation and some leisure time may seem strange when you've just moved but you will reap the benefits in many ways - get to know your neighbourhood, get your wife involved with other expats and locals - I'm sure your employers can put you in touch with people.

Great adventure, no need to rush!

My sister in law lives in LA with her partner who is Anglo Welsh - she knows all the ex pats who drink in the " British " pub - the Kings Arms. PM me if you want her details - she's big into Facebook !

Even if it's just an initial meeting to say hello, you'll get introduced to all the crowd in the Kings Arms mate ?.

They're a really eclectic bunch to say the least and they sure do like a drink !

My sister in law lives in LA with her partner who is Anglo Welsh - she knows all the ex pats who drink in the " British " pub - the Kings Arms. PM me if you want her details - she's big into Facebook !

Even if it's just an initial meeting to say hello, you'll get introduced to all the crowd in the Kings Arms mate ?.

They're a really eclectic bunch to say the least and they sure do like a drink !

Exhibit A of why this thread is so bloody ace.

Not sure whether this merits a place in this thread because it's not really a problem with any sort of depression, I'm just incredibly stressed at the moment.

Me, my wife and our baby have just moved to LA a couple of days ago. I'm just struggling to envisage how I'm going to settle down, apart from living in Belgium for a couple of years I've never lived outside Liverpool and just a month ago I wasn't expecting any difference, then I thought I was moving to London, now I'm a long haul flight away from Liverpool. It just feels really weird.

I suppose time would be the biggest healer and I love the place already, there's just a few things to take into consideration that I suppose I didn't prepare for.

On an unrelated note, it's World Mental Health Day today. It's raising awareness for a somewhat taboo subject for the majority of people, and I'd hate to think someone might read this thread, read an article about growing numbers in people looking for help or read whatever else and think they need help, but don't know where to turn. There's always help around you, people care more than you know!
Take time to settle in and try not to sweat it too much. You've lived away before so you know the first few weeks/months can have pangs for home. You've ended up there for a good reason and it will show why in the end.

On the positives you live in L.A. and there's some fine filth about for when you want your office affair, they're gonna love the accent, just dress and act like James Bond and they'll be throwing dirty gussets in your face.

Plus Everton are on dead early so you get that out of the way before getting on with the rest of your day and weekend.

Take time to settle in and try not to sweat it too much. You've lived away before so you know the first few weeks/months can have pangs for home. You've ended up there for a good reason and it will show why in the end.

On the positives you live in L.A. and there's some fine filth about for when you want your office affair, they're gonna love the accent, just dress and act like James Bond and they'll be throwing dirty gussets in your face.

Plus Everton are on dead early so you get that out of the way before getting on with the rest of your day and weekend.
Oh man...

I think the fact that Belgium was only an hour away from home on a plane was comforting, and although I've got my wife at 25 I feel like I should never be too far away from my parents and rest of my family.

To be fair though you make a great point there, and we've had the conversation that we're in LA in a boss house and I've basically got my dream job and today's the 10th of October and it's about 36 degrees here. The biffs all talk in Fahrenheit and I don't understand it so I'm guessing there but any Saturday afternoon where I'm sat by my pool with a cold beer in the middle of October at my own house can't be too bad, can it?

I'm just stressed to be honest, it's probably understandable. Come back to me this time next year and I'll probably never want to move back because it's such a brilliant place.

Stop moaning you divvy.

Also I definitely would've answered the part about American birds if my wife hadn't joined GOT.

I think the fact that Belgium was only an hour away from home on a plane was comforting, and although I've got my wife at 25 I feel like I should never be too far away from my parents and rest of my family.

To be fair though you make a great point there, and we've had the conversation that we're in LA in a boss house and I've basically got my dream job and today's the 10th of October and it's about 36 degrees here. The biffs all talk in Fahrenheit and I don't understand it so I'm guessing there but any Saturday afternoon where I'm sat by my pool with a cold beer in the middle of October at my own house can't be too bad, can it?

I'm just stressed to be honest, it's probably understandable. Come back to me this time next year and I'll probably never want to move back because it's such a brilliant place.

Stop moaning you divvy.

Me and the other half have had many candid chats when living a long haul flight away from home, she doesn't like it as her family are getting older and she's an only child. So understand the anxieties and problems it brings, like the time difference mate. Thankfully now we live in an age where we are so much more connected. While you're by that pool with the beer having a moment sending a photo to one of your mates and LOL at them. They will wish they were you sat right there.

Job, relationship and health look well covered for you mate, the rest will follow in time.

Enjoy and best of luck.

Me and the other half have had many candid chats when living a long haul flight away from home, she doesn't like it as her family are getting older and she's an only child. So understand the anxieties and problems it brings, like the time difference mate. Thankfully now we live in an age where we are so much more connected. While you're by that pool with the beer having a moment sending a photo to one of your mates and LOL at them. They will wish they were you sat right there.

Job, relationship and health look well covered for you mate, the rest will follow in time.

Enjoy and best of luck.

There's so many things to think about but I'm pretty laid back about most of it, I'll probably be over it fairly soon and settled down. No reason to look at the bad things in life when you can look at it how it really is that I'm in a great place at the moment, geographically and emotionally.

As I said before, time should do it for me and I feel a bit bad for moaning now to be honest.

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

Mate, temptation is to do everything at once. Best bet is take your time, do the essentials but take time to get to know the environment in which the three of you now live and will be living in for some time. Quality relaxation and some leisure time may seem strange when you've just moved but you will reap the benefits in many ways - get to know your neighbourhood, get your wife involved with other expats and locals - I'm sure your employers can put you in touch with people.

Great adventure, no need to rush!
Not Gerrard though!! Seriously though great advice

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back