Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

There's so many things to think about but I'm pretty laid back about most of it, I'll probably be over it fairly soon and settled down. No reason to look at the bad things in life when you can look at it how it really is that I'm in a great place at the moment, geographically and emotionally.

As I said before, time should do it for me and I feel a bit bad for moaning now to be honest.

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

Give it time mate.
I've lived and worked in a fair few places in the world, including the States, and people in your circumstances tend to feel into four camps :-

1. Love the new location, the life and everything. Will never move back to the UK permanently
  2. Love the new location, the life and everything, but it's not quite home. Move back eventually.
  3. Love the new location, the life and everything, but can't settle at all for whatever reason
  4. Hate it, take me home now
Very few people fall into (3), even lesss into (4). I was a (2), but there's a pretty equal split between (1) and (2). After six to twelve months, you'll know which camp you fall into. In the meantime, enjoy the experience ;)

Give it time mate.
I've lived and worked in a fair few places in the world, including the States, and people in your circumstances tend to feel into four camps :-

1. Love the new location, the life and everything. Will never move back to the UK permanently
  2. Love the new location, the life and everything, but it's not quite home. Move back eventually.
  3. Love the new location, the life and everything, but can't settle at all for whatever reason
Very few people fall into (3), even lesss into (4). I was a (2), but there's a pretty equal split between (1) and (2). After six to twelve months, you'll know which camp you fall into. In the meantime, enjoy the experience ;)

I hope we're a 1 to be honest, I'm not a fan of Liverpool. Obviously there's Everton and family but the way the world is I can have both them things out here, I'm flying my family out to stay with us for Christmas anyway. Maybe if it's not LA, we'll find somewhere that'll be home for us, but I'm pretty sure it won't be Liverpool.

Give it time mate.

Yep, taken me 6 months to settle as well. Good advice right there. and there would be worse places than Southern California to moveto I would guess ;)

I hope we're a 1 to be honest, I'm not a fan of Liverpool. Obviously there's Everton and family but the way the world is I can have both them things out here, I'm flying my family out to stay with us for Christmas anyway. Maybe if it's not LA, we'll find somewhere that'll be home for us, but I'm pretty sure it won't be Liverpool.
I see. Take a drive down the coast further south. I loved San Diego. I doubt you won't find something to like in that region my man ;)

I know you will, but try not to think too much about it.

The USA is a fantastic place to live, and bring up a family, but, to state the obvious, the culture is different. If you settle, that's great, but equally if it turns out not to be for you and your immediate family, that's great too. Either way, you'll have given it a fair shot and will come out of it with some great memories.

Bottom line, don't look on it as escaping something, look on it as experiencing something.

The USA is a fantastic place to live, and bring up a family, but, to state the obvious, the culture is different. If you settle, that's great, but equally if it turns out not to be for you and your immediate family, that's great too. Either way, you'll have given it a fair shot and will come out of it with some great memories.

Bottom line, don't look on it as escaping something, look on it as experiencing something.

Very well said mate. We'll see how it plays out.

+1

Give it time mate.

A brilliant summing up.

The great thing about LA is that it's such a melting pot of cultures that no one bats an eye lid at a different accent .However be prepared for the fact that no one walks anywhere and the car is king !!! ( The only people who walk anywhere in LA are Brits and bums, apparently ! )

Last edited:
Great to have you back posting! :)
Give yourself a break, many have no idea at 27. Stay positive and remain happy. Things will work out ;)

Thank you :) yes, I am seeing now that it's a good thing really, as the rest of my post says; I am not happy to settle for any old rubbish so I will keep going until I find something wonderful. I have just completed my personal training qualification last week and I am made up to have stuck with it and thoroughly enjoyed it! Now I am seeking my next challenge haha :)

Thank you :) yes, I am seeing now that it's a good thing really, as the rest of my post says; I am not happy to settle for any old rubbish so I will keep going until I find something wonderful. I have just completed my personal training qualification last week and I am made up to have stuck with it and thoroughly enjoyed it! Now I am seeking my next challenge haha :)
Great stuff with the PTing. I am in the nutrition wellness industry so I can appreciate the positive effect of great nutrition and exercise in your life ;)

Great stuff with the PTing. I am in the nutrition wellness industry so I can appreciate the positive effect of great nutrition and exercise in your life ;)

Amazing, really? I am looking at going into nutrition as I have a definite passion for it. I was looking into Dietetics which looks right up my street to be honest. Do you enjoy working in that industry then?!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back