Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Really, really good day today. We've been to a consultant this morning who said that we've caught the cancer so early that with a few months of treatment there's a very, very high chance of her beating it. Doctor said that if he had to put it into numbers he'd say there's a 99% chance of her pulling through, which is brilliant. Luckily we were able to get a really quick appointment to try and put worries to bed. Can't put into words at the moment how over the moon I am, although it's not over just yet.

I've said thanks individually to everyone offering their support, but you're all fantastic people and you've made a pretty young lad who felt like he had nobody at one time, feel like he had the whole of GrandOldTeam supporting him. Can't thank you all enough and the next time I'm in England and at the Everton match there's a pint from me for all of you.

Keep doing what you're doing. Can't underestimate how far your words go to helping myself and my wife.
Great news for you both mate

Long time not posting.. but I needed somewhere to vent or else I think I'd explode. Not had a good couple of weeks. Without sounding like a drip, had a bad time romantically over the last few weeks and that gets you down to start with. Also the stress of having to start a new career from scratch has been building, and then I had to go in hospital with some as of yet unidentified pains.
It's not an entirely negative post, because of the pain i was given a lot of painkillers which I could have used detrimentally but I haven't. So little victories I guess.
Also I want to thank the people who run the forum for keeping this thread up, no matter how long I am away from this forum it is always helpful to know there is at least one place I can go to write this stuff.

Sometimes i depressed because i am living so far from my family for 8 months. There are days when i feel isolated and lonely.
I don't know what i will do without Everton home games (cant afford away games because I am still struggling to find a full time job).
But when I am reading this thread I realized that I shouldn't moaning, it could be so much worse!
Any news on a possible reunion with your family soon?

Sometimes i depressed because i am living so far from my family for 8 months. There are days when i feel isolated and lonely.
I don't know what i will do without Everton home games (cant afford away games because I am still struggling to find a full time job).
But when I am reading this thread I realized that I shouldn't moaning, it could be so much worse!
Do you maintain contact with them while you're away?

I notice a common thread amongst posters.
"I don't want to sound silly", "i know it doesn't seem much" " I don't want to sound like a moaner" etc etc.
it doesn't matter, don't let it put you off letting it all out on here. we all see the ads on tv about people being worse off than you, that's irrelevant to how you feel yourself. depression or feeling down isn't about others it's about yourself. little things can fester so getting it out can help sometimes and reading responses or getting likes goes a long way to help you along (my experience admittedly) I don't know how depression manifests or progresses, all I know is talking or typing helps me. it's not a cure or a remedy but it is a big help.
so no matter how trivial you think your problem is don't be afraid to express it on here. there are some good people on here who listen and comment and make you feel good for a short while.

I notice a common thread amongst posters.
"I don't want to sound silly", "i know it doesn't seem much" " I don't want to sound like a moaner" etc etc.
it doesn't matter, don't let it put you off letting it all out on here. we all see the ads on tv about people being worse off than you, that's irrelevant to how you feel yourself. depression or feeling down isn't about others it's about yourself. little things can fester so getting it out can help sometimes and reading responses or getting likes goes a long way to help you along (my experience admittedly) I don't know how depression manifests or progresses, all I know is talking or typing helps me. it's not a cure or a remedy but it is a big help.
so no matter how trivial you think your problem is don't be afraid to express it on here. there are some good people on here who listen and comment and make you feel good for a short while.

Well said mate, how are you doing by the way ?

I feel like utter crap right now, hate going out amongst people and feeling ridiculously alone... just reminds me how on my own I am here; flatmate met me right as I walked in and asked what I'm so angry at, but in reality that's just my face at this point. Have to go to sleep to get up to continue the work-grind at 4am, I'm just lying in bed feeling like poop.

Tomorrow's a new day though, meet my mate before we set off to work, and he's like a shot of adrenaline (really sociable and cheery person, top lad really)... will probably get better.

Right now I just want the world to F. off. Shame I have no way of getting that aggression out.

Hope everyone's doing alright, g'night lads & lasses

I feel like utter crap right now, hate going out amongst people and feeling ridiculously alone... just reminds me how on my own I am here; flatmate met me right as I walked in and asked what I'm so angry at, but in reality that's just my face at this point. Have to go to sleep to get up to continue the work-grind at 4am, I'm just lying in bed feeling like poop.

Tomorrow's a new day though, meet my mate before we set off to work, and he's like a shot of adrenaline (really sociable and cheery person, top lad really)... will probably get better.

Right now I just want the world to F. off. Shame I have no way of getting that aggression out.

As for getting the agression out, know you are working long hours but any chance you can fit in some exercise - punchbag, running or cardio/weights? Or go a slightly different route and try meditating to calm your emotions?

Anyhow sending you a virtual hug mate, hope tomorrow is a better day x

How many days left out of of the ten you are due to work ?.

How about doing something that you really like on your first day off as a reward to yourself, whatever that may be ?

I know when I used to work seven twelve hour nights back to back, my treat to myself was to go out on my first night off have a sit down curry then get hammered. By night five, whilst on nights I could almost taste the first pint and just the thought of it used to really keep me going.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back