Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

@Groucho I reckon it wouldn't be hard to find a proper Counsellor ( toffee perhaps?) who could join up and help some of the more simple questions.

I had a good look at it yesterday and I have to say there are a lot of crossovers with how I am feeling. Thank you for making me aware of OCD having this effect. As you say, I just thought what everyone else did about it! My mum called me yesterday telling me that my sister booked me an appointment at some counselling place that she has been recommended and I will have a consultation for them to decide the best person for me to speak to. This is next Wednesday, I am nervous but it will have to be done.
It is a step into the unknown, but the first step is the hardest. Once taken, it'll be much easier.
I mentioned previously how some people are lucky to have a supportive family...well, your Mum & Sister are Ace!
;)

Right, I need some words of wisdom! I've been struggling a lot recently with my emotions. I have social anxiety and it has become worse recently and started to affect my everyday life; I think it has now caused some depression or whatever. For example, I can't even have a meal out with family without feeling in edge and anxious and just like I want to leave! I get anxious leaving the house even to shop as I have left the safety net of my home. I find it difficult even explaining. Anyway, my anxiety also makes me dread and over think things in advance. Even silly things. Here's my current one which is causing me distress and only you guys will probably understand, maybe! If Everton manage to get to the FA Cup Final, then I will be on holiday and miss it. I never miss matches, Everton are one of the only things I look forward to... I've never seen us win a trophy. Now I'm totally aware that we might not even get there and even if we do, we might not even win it... But my mind won't shut up about it. It's making me all tense and emotional and I'm getting stomach aches etc. I should just feel the sadness and get on with it surely?! But no, it feels like the worst possible scenario in the world if I were to miss something like that. I've got perspective, I've got reasoning, I've got common sense... But my mind just won't listen to any of it. I'm really struggling. I suppose it's got nothing to do with the football in the grand scheme of things... It's that I can't cope with thoughts like this and it's taking over my life. I do the same with other things, this is just my current focus :(

I feel utterly helpless and ridiculous.

Hi - a bit late and not being flippant - but change your holiday!!! You can go on holiday anytime - watching the blues win something is possibly once in a life time ! No wonder you are getting anxiety. Who are you going with? Can't you change the date? I missed the Chelsea game ( first game in ten years) as I had booked a holiday, NO WAY would I miss Wembley. Other than that hope you are ok!

Right, I need some words of wisdom! I've been struggling a lot recently with my emotions. I have social anxiety and it has become worse recently and started to affect my everyday life; I think it has now caused some depression or whatever. For example, I can't even have a meal out with family without feeling in edge and anxious and just like I want to leave! I get anxious leaving the house even to shop as I have left the safety net of my home. I find it difficult even explaining. Anyway, my anxiety also makes me dread and over think things in advance. Even silly things. Here's my current one which is causing me distress and only you guys will probably understand, maybe! If Everton manage to get to the FA Cup Final, then I will be on holiday and miss it. I never miss matches, Everton are one of the only things I look forward to... I've never seen us win a trophy. Now I'm totally aware that we might not even get there and even if we do, we might not even win it... But my mind won't shut up about it. It's making me all tense and emotional and I'm getting stomach aches etc. I should just feel the sadness and get on with it surely?! But no, it feels like the worst possible scenario in the world if I were to miss something like that. I've got perspective, I've got reasoning, I've got common sense... But my mind just won't listen to any of it. I'm really struggling. I suppose it's got nothing to do with the football in the grand scheme of things... It's that I can't cope with thoughts like this and it's taking over my life. I do the same with other things, this is just my current focus :(

I feel utterly helpless and ridiculous.
I know what your going through mate, I'm in the same boat I have a family holiday booked leaving for France on the 20th of May, I have felt sick since I realised the date. I'm probably not in the same boat as you because going to the final probably wasn't an option for me. But I can relate to your anxious feeling, don't feel bad about it that you feel this way. All who have suffered from anxiety and depression know exactly what you are going through.

I don't know what to tell you, but if it were me I'd make my decision quick as regards changing date of holiday or just going on it. The sooner you make a decision stick to it hopefully this eases your anxiety,I've told myself that surely they have a tv in France that will show the cup final.

I've just realised I'm 9 years free from Alcohol today, Andy Johnson has a lot to answer for, my last big binge fest came after his last minute winner against Arsenal.

Totally off topic here with the Alcohol statement, but if you told me then I'd be 9 years free from drink I wouldn't have believed you. I honestly couldn't see any hope for me or anyway out, things always get better folks.

It will pass

I've just realised I'm 9 years free from Alcohol today, Andy Johnson has a lot to answer for, my last big binge fest came after his last minute winner against Arsenal.

Totally off topic here with the Alcohol statement, but if you told me then I'd be 9 years free from drink I wouldn't have believed you. I honestly couldn't see any hope for me or anyway out, things always get better folks.

It will pass
well done mate!

It will pass

Congratulations!

9 years is a long time, glad to see you have stuck with it all this time.

It will pass
Congratulations. One of my best friends just made 7 years clean. We had a nice celebration dinner with him - to see what he had gone through and where he was now brought tears to my eyes. So proud of him.

And proud of you, feel the good vibes through the web!

I had a good look at it yesterday and I have to say there are a lot of crossovers with how I am feeling. Thank you for making me aware of OCD having this effect. As you say, I just thought what everyone else did about it! My mum called me yesterday telling me that my sister booked me an appointment at some counselling place that she has been recommended and I will have a consultation for them to decide the best person for me to speak to. This is next Wednesday, I am nervous but it will have to be done.
Late to the party here - having someone you can talk with (non-family, non-friend) can be immensely valuable - they can be one person who is 100% in your corner - working with and concerned about you, rather than worrying about how family, friends might feel or react.

(If I could wave the magic wand, I'd somehow have every person issued their own personal therapist when they're born, just so they always have that resource. But I haven't quite figured out how to make that happen. Yet.)

Congratulations. One of my best friends just made 7 years clean. We had a nice celebration dinner with him - to see what he had gone through and where he was now brought tears to my eyes. So proud of him.

And proud of you, feel the good vibes through the web!
Thanks that's a very nice thing to say, I was 26 when I decided or should I say had no option to give up the drink. Looking back I cringe at how my life was. I can honestly say it was the hardest and best thing I ever done.

It kills me to see good men and woman suffer with alcohol and other addictions, if they could only see the way there life's could be without. Now life isn't all roses by all means, panic attacks anxiety depression all rear its ugly head every so often, but it will pass. I can't say that enough.

It will pass

Oh no, people telling me to change the date of the holiday makes me stress out!!!! I can't! It's not my holiday to change. It's my boyfriend's sister's 30th and it's a three week holiday to Florida... Kind of a big deal! Trust me, I'd change it if I could :( I'd never willingly miss Everton in any match, never mind at Wembley. Now I feel like an awful human being! It's not my fault :(

Going from the weekend though... We are rubbbbbbish so it's not an issue. :) Haha!

I know what your going through mate, I'm in the same boat I have a family holiday booked leaving for France on the 20th of May, I have felt sick since I realised the date. I'm probably not in the same boat as you because going to the final probably wasn't an option for me. But I can relate to your anxious feeling, don't feel bad about it that you feel this way. All who have suffered from anxiety and depression know exactly what you are going through.

I don't know what to tell you, but if it were me I'd make my decision quick as regards changing date of holiday or just going on it. The sooner you make a decision stick to it hopefully this eases your anxiety,I've told myself that surely they have a tv in France that will show the cup final.

I haven't been thinking about it as much in recent days :) so that's good... I'm sure there will be a place for me to watch it too. Nice to know someone is in the same boat ha ha!

Late to the party here - having someone you can talk with (non-family, non-friend) can be immensely valuable - they can be one person who is 100% in your corner - working with and concerned about you, rather than worrying about how family, friends might feel or react.

(If I could wave the magic wand, I'd somehow have every person issued their own personal therapist when they're born, just so they always have that resource. But I haven't quite figured out how to make that happen. Yet.)

Thanks for this reassurance. My appointment is on Wednesday and I'm really nervous :( I really don't want to go and I don't even know what to say! I will go though...

Thanks for this reassurance. My appointment is on Wednesday and I'm really nervous :( I really don't want to go and I don't even know what to say! I will go though...

I know it's easy for me to say, but you have nothing to worry about. The person you see is a trained professional, who will have seen countless people in your situation. They won't judge you in anyway and I can guarantee you will walk out feeling much better and thinking " why did I worry about that " !.

From my own personal experiences being as honest as possible, even if this is incredibly difficult will help in the long run.

Good luck ;)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back