Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Yes been to see the GP been given antidepressants but stopped taking them months ago made me tired all the time and I put a lot of weight on which made me feel worse.
See your GP again, tell him what the prescription is doing, and see if the GP can't give you something else without those side effects. Just a thought...
I have days when I feel fine and like I said others where I really struggle. I guess I was just looking to see if anyone else was in a similar situation.
With respect, I think everyone goes through that. It's the level of severity that causes the issue. I can't tell you what a relief it is when a medical professional tells you the name of the condition you're suffering, and how it opens your eyes to the fact that you are not the first to experience it. To know that something is a known condition and "this is what we do to fix it" is a huge relief.

Hang in there mate. ;)

Would be nice to speak to someone that has been through something similar. I'm on nights so il be going to bed at about half 7 so if anyone thinks they might be able to help il be up about 3 o'clock just so you don't think I'm not ignoring anybody.
Don't worry mate. You'll have many to chat with that have been through similar and regularly are in here.
You are not alone. :)

You have done the right thing posting in this thread. ;)

Would be nice to speak to someone that has been through something similar. I'm on nights so il be going to bed at about half 7 so if anyone thinks they might be able to help il be up about 3 o'clock just so you don't think I'm not ignoring anybody.
Ha, you raise a good point there. We probably need to talk in UTC (GMT) so everyone knows when people are around.

Kit & I are GMT +11 at the moment. Just getting on to 15:30 (3:30pm) in Melbourne.

Blues are Universal...and I mean that in every sense of the word.

Yes been to see the GP been given antidepressants but stopped taking them months ago made me tired all the time and I put a lot of weight on which made me feel worse.

I have days when I feel fine and like I said others where I really struggle. I guess I was just looking to see if anyone else was in a similar situation.
mirtazapine made me put weight on and tired all the time. so I got put back on a higher dose of fluoxetine which now seems to work . Anti depressants are trial and error mate but maybe asking your gp again might help .

Do you suffer with this mate?

You know what it's like mate, if you have decent reserves then you're more capable of dealing with the troubles life throws at you. Those reserves drop (through lack of sleep, stress etc.) and it becomes a whole lot harder. At the moment I need the reserves to be tip top, and they're not always, so it becomes easier for long-standing issues to eat away.

mirtazapine made me put weight on and tired all the time. so I got put back on a higher dose of fluoxetine which now seems to work . Anti depressants are trial and error mate but maybe asking your gp again might help .

That's exactly what I was prescribed mate. Made me feel worse so I came off them and stopped seeing the doctor.

Hopefully get something different when I go this week.

That's exactly what I was prescribed mate. Made me feel worse so I came off them and stopped seeing the doctor.

Hopefully get something different when I go this week.
Yes they are horrible . It took me til the evening to feel fully awake, felt groggy all day and constantly hungry which doesn't help when I like my food as it is lol .

Fluoxetine seem to work better . If you start taking them they take a few weeks to start kicking in .

You know what it's like mate, if you have decent reserves then you're more capable of dealing with the troubles life throws at you. Those reserves drop (through lack of sleep, stress etc.) and it becomes a whole lot harder. At the moment I need the reserves to be tip top, and they're not always, so it becomes easier for long-standing issues to eat away.
That's very true - fatigue can be a big factor in mood, even in people who don't suffer from depression or anxiety. It's an element often overlooked.

That's very true - fatigue can be a big factor in mood, even in people who don't suffer from depression or anxiety. It's an element often overlooked.
Spot on . I'm feeling tired all the time and even though I'm going the gym often I can't get a good routine going or put the same effort in as regular as I did last year . That's all down to my mood and tiredness . It's doing my swede in .

Welcome to the thread mate, you're amongst friends here and feel free to unburden yourself, no matter how trivial you may think your problems may seem.

You mention anti depressants and side effects. My advice is to go back to your GP and explain what's happened. Anti depressants aren't an exact science and you may need to take a few different types before you find the one that's right for you. Your GP will know this and should guide you through the process. You normally need to take them for a few weeks before you know whether they're working or not. Contrary to popular belief, they aren't " happy pills ", what they should do is make you feel normal again. There's no shame in taking them, look upon them as a " tool " to getting better.

You're original post is almost a text book description of depression mate. It's an illness same as any other, just that it's your head that's not well. Have a look,through this thread and you'll see that there's many many people who are / have been in the same boat as you are in right now. You've taken a massive step to getting better by coming on here. Keep posting mate, there's loads on here will help you ;)

I feel awful at the moment. My disability is slowing making breaking me, I am less and less active because of it and slowly gaining weight as a result.

I can't win this battle

I feel awful at the moment. My disability is slowing making breaking me, I am less and less active because of it and slowly gaining weight as a result.

I can't win this battle

Mate, my old man had very severe disabilities which grew more severe over the years. I obviously know nothing of yours, but my old man never gave up, he was a determined bugger who used to start every day with a mantra about beating his physical disabilities and making the day better than the previous one.

Eventually of course, he lost the battle but he lived far longer and continued doing things far longer than any doctor ever estimated. I put that down to his sheer stubbornness and will to defeat a terrible condition. It taught me a huge amount about never giving in and the power of the human mind to overcome obstacles.

It was never easy for him, nor I suspect for you, hope you can overcome whatever your condition is, but in the meantime fight it with all your might. As you know you'll be supported fully here.

Good luck

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back