Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Been prescribed citalopram by a different GP, give him both barrels of all my issues. After 20 odd years of depression he has suggested councilling, I do not know what that entails, is it sitting on a sofa talking about my parents?

Was close to tears telling him my problems and he was a bit more receptive and sensitive to my awkward admission

I've had two bouts of counselling mate. I'm only speaking from my own experiences, but what it did for me was help me to understand and accept what was wrong with me. It also taught me how to recognise the triggers me coping mechanisms.

It's really important that you're brutally honest, as the more they know about you, the more they can help. It can be very difficult at first opening up, but once you do, it's like turning on a tap and liberating. Everything is confidential and you won't be judged for anything you say.

It's not a magic bullet mate, but it can definitely help.

I've led a full life was an army brat so have travelled and lived around the world, seen everton win cups and titles had children and g/kids owned the bikes I wanted seen 100's of my fav bands lived a wild life and lived a responsible(ish) life. always been honest to myself and others so no not really. only 1 thing that we got planned is a bike/music rally at the end of july. we go every year, a weekend of bikes, beer, music and just chilling meeting new people old friends, i'd like to last till then.

Probably not a big help to you, but if you could raise the money for a trip to South Africa I could put you in touch with a great bunch bikers that includes a number of ex-RSA army guys. They do a lot of charity events whilst enjoying all the usual biker activities of music, beer, rallies etc - they would welcome you and anyone else with warm open arms, a beer and the ubiquitous Sarf Efrican bbq.

Thank you all. In a very bad place at the moment you lot are my only output
This is why I use this place. To me it's similar to counselling.
As others have said I can only give my opinion on my experience.
Many times I had things in my head that probably seem trivial but were serious to me and affecting my depression. Saying them out loud to a counsilor or typing them on here kind of acted like a pressure valve and made me feel a bit better for a while.
It's not a cure or a remedy but an assistance. counsilors aside this thread helped me by allowing me to say things I wouldn't say to family or close friends without sounding silly. Ok not all responses I agreed with but it was nice to know that I was being listened to and I didn't feel so alone.
even a like showed me I was being heard.
so keep typing away even if you just want to use it as a punch bag.

This is why I use this place. To me it's similar to counselling.
As others have said I can only give my opinion on my experience.
Many times I had things in my head that probably seem trivial but were serious to me and affecting my depression. Saying them out loud to a counsilor or typing them on here kind of acted like a pressure valve and made me feel a bit better for a while.
It's not a cure or a remedy but an assistance. counsilors aside this thread helped me by allowing me to say things I wouldn't say to family or close friends without sounding silly. Ok not all responses I agreed with but it was nice to know that I was being listened to and I didn't feel so alone.
even a like showed me I was being heard.
so keep typing away even if you just want to use it as a punch bag.

Spot on mate and I particularily like your last sentence - " use it as a punch bag "

What a great way to explain things !

Thank you all. In a very bad place at the moment you lot are my only output

As wbn61 says, you can say things to a counsellor that you can't talk to friends or family about whether it's because you think they're too trivial/silly or because you don't want them to worry or think you are mad, or bad, or crazy.

I’ve had several types of counselling including online CBT (surprisingly helpful and got me to a place where I could actually talk without crying) and psychiatric counselling. I don’t find talking about myself easy, but these guys are trained to help you do so – and in my case to remind me to breathe every now and again too.

One of the greatest benefits to me from counselling, whatever the approach, was realising that I’m not going mad, which I have felt very strongly at my lowest points.

Another resource I’ve found incredibly helpful and recommend unreservedly is Dr Tim Cantopher’s book ‘Depressive Illness: The Curse of the Strong’. You can read a short extract on the Professional Cricketers’ Association site (they actually commissioned the book) http://www.thepca.co.uk/what-is-depressive-illness-200314.html and although the excerpt addresses stress-related depression, he covers various other models too. You can also have a look inside and read the introduction on Amazon.

Well what a couple of days that has been. I'm wiped out, washed out, drained, spent.
Since I've been posting I have left out things that I didn't think needed to be mentioned at the time.
When I found out my news, we found out 2 more serious family issues at the same time. To us just as serious as mine.
My poor wife has had to deal with all these 3 problems together and it has been pretty tough to handle.
Today we have been able to manage 1 of the issues to a slight extent and it is a big relief to everyone and my tension, stress and anxiety has abated a bit. Just wanted you to know what a wonderful woman, mother, grandmother my wife is.

Well what a couple of days that has been. I'm wiped out, washed out, drained, spent.
Since I've been posting I have left out things that I didn't think needed to be mentioned at the time.
When I found out my news, we found out 2 more serious family issues at the same time. To us just as serious as mine.
My poor wife has had to deal with all these 3 problems together and it has been pretty tough to handle.
Today we have been able to manage 1 of the issues to a slight extent and it is a big relief to everyone and my tension, stress and anxiety has abated a bit. Just wanted you to know what a wonderful woman, mother, grandmother my wife is.
Damn they really do come in threes hey?
She is a strong woman alright!
I hope there is some better news on all these fronts soon for you all.

Been prescribed citalopram by a different GP, give him both barrels of all my issues. After 20 odd years of depression he has suggested councilling, I do not know what that entails, is it sitting on a sofa talking about my parents?

Was close to tears telling him my problems and he was a bit more receptive and sensitive to my awkward admission

I know a few people have replied, but just wanted to say, counselling can be enormously helpful (and I'm in a cycle of it at the moment after breaking down in my doctor's last December- went in for an ingrowing toe, came out with diagnosed depression and anxiety)- so go into it with as much openess as you can, because they are there to help, not judge. However, like any human relationship, some people "gel" and some don't- I started with one therapist in January, but I didn't feel the relationship was right, so I've changed, and have a much better relationship with my new therapist. Not to disparage the first guy, as I say, it's just some people click, some don't- and it's really important in that counselling relationship to have someone you feel comfortable enough to speak openly with. So, if you feel it's not working for you, please don't give up, but ask to perhaps see someone new.

I know a few people have replied, but just wanted to say, counselling can be enormously helpful (and I'm in a cycle of it at the moment after breaking down in my doctor's last December- went in for an ingrowing toe, came out with diagnosed depression and anxiety)- so go into it with as much openess as you can, because they are there to help, not judge. However, like any human relationship, some people "gel" and some don't- I started with one therapist in January, but I didn't feel the relationship was right, so I've changed, and have a much better relationship with my new therapist. Not to disparage the first guy, as I say, it's just some people click, some don't- and it's really important in that counselling relationship to have someone you feel comfortable enough to speak openly with. So, if you feel it's not working for you, please don't give up, but ask to perhaps see someone new.

Great advice, keep posting ;)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back