Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Going to see a psychiatrist tomorrow - dreading it. But catching up on some of the posts on here has been really lifting & inspiring. Glad to know everyone is looking out for each other.
It can be a bit daunting at first. The thing is to feel comfortable, you are not forced into doing it. As flippa said if you don't click with the first one don't be afraid to ask for another. Good luck.

Going to see a psychiatrist tomorrow - dreading it. But catching up on some of the posts on here has been really lifting & inspiring. Glad to know everyone is looking out for each other.
Good luck & well done for taking the initial step.

They're all different but essentially they will help you get to the place you need to go. Think of them as a guide just helping you back to the right path. Don't hold anything back. Be as honest as you can & once they have your whole story, then they can guide you in a way that you need. ;)

It can be a bit daunting at first. The thing is to feel comfortable, you are not forced into doing it. As flippa said if you don't click with the first one don't be afraid to ask for another. Good luck.

Good luck & well done for taking the initial step.

They're all different but essentially they will help you get to the place you need to go. Think of them as a guide just helping you back to the right path. Don't hold anything back. Be as honest as you can & once they have your whole story, then they can guide you in a way that you need. ;)

Done a lot of counselling before tbh but this time it's to unravel a bit more and place a new theory that's been posited to see if it 'fits'... but you're right, that's good advice - thanks guys. So sorry to hear what you're going through @wbn61 but it's wonderful to see your reaction on here is to still be there for others :)

Does seeing a shrink work?
Worked ok for me.
Or does it depend on the type of person
Same way some people like Blue and some like Red. I don't think it's about the type of person you are, I think it's more about how receptive you are to working through your issues and if you are willing to work with the Psychiatrist in order to achieve it. If you walked in thinking it was going to be the biggest wankfest ever, then you'll get nothing from it.

To all those fighting there way through.

There's a lot of stigma attached to depression particularly in men.

Keep your chins up.

The stigma that may exist - is based on a false proposition that men should not get depressed. We are not robots.

We try not to wallow in self pity.

However for some we need to sometimes discuss our issues with people we simply don't get chance to do so in normal life.

What I'm saying is. Don't be embarrassed if you get a clinical depression diagnosis.

Just focus on trying to feel better.

Even the strongest man can be brought down by a drip drip effect of bad luck and misfortune. It is however possible to build you back up again. With the right support

Worked ok for me.

Same way some people like Blue and some like Red. I don't think it's about the type of person you are, I think it's more about how receptive you are to working through your issues and if you are willing to work with the Psychiatrist in order to achieve it. If you walked in thinking it was going to be the biggest wankfest ever, then you'll get nothing from it.
I'm unsure what to do. I don't think it'll suit me seeing one but keeping what's going on to myself doesn't work much either.

I'm unsure what to do. I don't think it'll suit me seeing one but keeping what's going on to myself doesn't work much either.
Well, there's always a possibility that it won't workout for you. There are numerous contributors to this thread that have had the same experience. Sometimes, it's not the type of person you are, it's the type of professional you see...in other words you can always try someone else based on word of mouth.

But, you can't lose by going to see someone. If you don't think it's for you, then you can rule it out & look for other options. Also, maybe see if there's someone on here that lives near your area & can recommend a professional for you. I can give you the name of a good chap in Melbourne but....

:p

Keep an open mind is my advice.

Dont expect magic results. It takes time.

With depression there is often a need to 'unload'. Meaning the distress you are feeling.

Talking to a neutral person can be helpful.
It feels better to talk to someone I'll never see with my own eyes than it does to family. I'll be buzzing one day and then morbid for a week, my mood fluctuates and I should probably do something. Going alone isn't always a good choice

It feels better to talk to someone I'll never see with my own eyes than it does to family. I'll be buzzing one day and then morbid for a week, my mood fluctuates and I should probably do something. Going alone isn't always a good choice

Mate. This feeling of disjointment is common. Particularly if your family aren't the most understanding. Or its complicated.

Try it and see. Remember these psychiatrists or counsellors are supposed to be professional. They've seen it all before.

Their advice can be helpful

Well, there's always a possibility that it won't workout for you. There are numerous contributors to this thread that have had the same experience. Sometimes, it's not the type of person you are, it's the type of professional you see...in other words you can always try someone else based on word of mouth.

But, you can't lose by going to see someone. If you don't think it's for you, then you can rule it out & look for other options. Also, maybe see if there's someone on here that lives near your area & can recommend a professional for you. I can give you the name of a good chap in Melbourne but....

:p
Thanks mate. Although Melbourne may be a mile too far haha. It's good to talk to people who don't just say 'sort your head out lad' hence why people battle their minds alone

Mate. This feeling of disjointment is common. Particularly if your family aren't the most understanding. Or its complicated.

Try it and see. Remember these psychiatrists or counsellors are supposed to be professional. They've seen it all before.

Their advice can be helpful
It's going into the unknown what stops me. If they try an find the 'root cause' and all that then I can't be assed, it'll just make me worse as well as angry. It's just an imbalance no guilt, traumatic things or anything like that

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back