Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Don't dread it mate, try to see it as an opportunity to start freeing yourself of your troubles.

Sorry to sound like Martinez here lol

Thanks mate, you're right of course... If I said enough Martinez soundbites in the session I'm sure that would be enough for them to make their minds up!

In all seriousness (and without derailing the thread) - just a thought goes out to RM because I genuinely do hope that through all the pressure and negativity from all sides that he is alright, that's all.

I'll be honest mate, I didn't go. This was more down to other things coming up - my bird breaking up with me, which I'm strangely okay about/ delayed reaction.

I've had a handful of counselling sessions before which I found were positive experiences but as people have mentioned there are lots of different factors (clicking with them, being in the right frame of mind, etc.). This latest venture into the 'chaise longue' territory is a result of my liaising with a community mental health service over several months, so I know that it seems like the right thing to do - just a bit of trepidation about going into the latest chapter of it.

Someone from the service mentioned something over the phone to me about a personality disorder and it kind of freaked me out a bit/felt skeptical - but if that is genuinely the best approach to tackling my problems then I will go along with it. Just so long as they don't try and unravel my bitter Everton complex, I need that untouched!

Let me know how yours goes too, mate. As I say I've found all experiences positive and comforting, you'll know what's right for you.

Don't beat yourself up about not going mate. We all have days like this, and plenty of others miss appointments. I did quite regularly, but you should still be kept in the service I think, as long as you do feel like it's something you would like to confront eventually!

Interesting you say about personality disorder. It was thought at some point I may have had it. But my Psychiatrist said he didn't want to diagnose me with it, and low and behold- I didn't even have it. Lots of the symptoms of Personality Disorder can be signs of rapid changes of mood influencing your approach to events/ experiences etc. This can often be a symptom of depression. See Cyclothymia. Those changes of moods can influence your thinking to the point it changes how you behave. So there could be many levels to stress/ depression you're experiencing.

As great as over-the-phone counselling is, they can only judge what you tell them. Quite often face to face, it is a lot easier to get to the root of what you're feeling, as you have more of a connection with the person you're talking to. In reality Personality Disorder is one of the conditions a professional would least likely want to diagnose at the last, due to the medication that can go along with it many cases. However, a psychiatrist will go through every other avenue before arriving at that conclusion, so it's not as if you'd go and bang- you get that diagnosis. If after talking through for a while, if you feel comfortable, and you've tried other treatment, if that's not working, then maybe Personality Disorder would be diagnosed. But without meaning to sound crass, if you have it, you have it. Treatment will help with such an acute condition, and with a bit of help, you can have as 'normal' a life as the next person. Best of luck with it anyway fella and hope you manage to get to see your psychiatrist soon. Don't rush though- take things at your own pace. :)

I'll be honest mate, I didn't go. This was more down to other things coming up - my bird breaking up with me, which I'm strangely okay about/ delayed reaction.

I've had a handful of counselling sessions before which I found were positive experiences but as people have mentioned there are lots of different factors (clicking with them, being in the right frame of mind, etc.). This latest venture into the 'chaise longue' territory is a result of my liaising with a community mental health service over several months, so I know that it seems like the right thing to do - just a bit of trepidation about going into the latest chapter of it.

Someone from the service mentioned something over the phone to me about a personality disorder and it kind of freaked me out a bit/felt skeptical - but if that is genuinely the best approach to tackling my problems then I will go along with it. Just so long as they don't try and unravel my bitter Everton complex, I need that untouched!

Let me know how yours goes too, mate. As I say I've found all experiences positive and comforting, you'll know what's right for you.
When I first went into therapy the therapist told me I'd been depressed for 20 years. I didn't feel particularly down or anything so I kinda chose to disregard it. With a bit time I see she was right. The point is, once you are able to have a tangible understanding of what may be the problem, in your case a possible personality disorder, it becomes far easier to fight.
It's certainly not a weakness in your personality, I find its better to understand my own mental health issues as disease. Everyone is different of course.

`Oh dear. Reality check. Hit the brick wall today, picked myself up and thought WTF i'm dying. I think I have been too preoccupied with rushing around trying to sort things out that I really didn't think a bout it, maybe a denial stage? or something. For some strange reason today it hit me and sorry to say it I felt a bit scared and a new flood of thoughts and emotions are fighting in my head.

`Oh dear. Reality check. Hit the brick wall today, picked myself up and thought WTF i'm dying. I think I have been too preoccupied with rushing around trying to sort things out that I really didn't think a bout it, maybe a denial stage? or something. For some strange reason today it hit me and sorry to say it I felt a bit scared and a new flood of thoughts and emotions are fighting in my head.

Hey mate, I came here to post something I found out about recently. Seems like it might apply to you as well.

I've been going through a similar thing for closing in on 2 years now, basically since I lost my job and my girlfriend dumped me. I'm 25 and I'm on my 4th career change. For a while it felt like I was never going to find something that I both enjoyed doing and could make work in my current life situation. While I've been recycling and retraining so much, the thought of it coming crashing down again is always on my mind.

I've had some remissions and was seeing a therapist for a while, but then found out due to the wonder of the American medical system that the therapist was "out of network" and the only ones "in network" involve a 150 mile round trip drive. Which is something I can't currently afford. My condition doesn't really fit the mold of a classical clinical depression case, yet it's hard to argue with what's been happening in my head.

To know that there is (possibly, I don't condone self-diagnosis, but I don't have any other options at present) a name for what's happening was big relief to me.

When people talk about depression, sometimes they refer to different types based upon what they think may have caused their depression. One such possible cause is existential in nature, that is, a person ends up questioning his or her life, death or meaning of life, and by doing so, lapses into depression.

According to existentialism, a specific type of philosophy, humans are driven to meaning in their lives not by a specific type of deity or god, or by an outside authority, but internally, through our own choices, desires and pursuits. Humans are entirely free, and, therefore, entirely responsible for their own happiness or misery. It is up to each one of us to create the meaning which drives our life, whether it be through work, hobbies, charity, religion, relationships, offspring, family, or something else.

Existential depression may occur when a person comes face to face with these kinds of issues of life, death, freedom and the meaning of their life. For instance, a person with existential depression might ask themselves, “What is the meaning of my life? Is it only to work 9 to 5, have a family, and then die? Will I ever find someone who truly understands and believes in me no matter what? Does god care about me? Does anyone else truly care about me?” Existential depression may be characterized by a unique sense of hopelessness in feeling that our lives may actually be meaningless.

People who experience normal clinical depression may also experience existential issues related to the meaning of their life in the course of psychotherapy to treat the depression. This is a normal component of treatment of depression, and many clinicians will often work with the person to help them explore the meaning of their life if this happens.

Finding one’s meaning or passion in life is something that many people consider important, and an episode of existential depression can help focus a person’s need to find an answer to that question. Existential depression is usually treated not with any type of prescription medication, but rather psychotherapy focused on helping the person explore the meaning of their life.

Existential depression may be caused by a specific event in the person’s life (e.g., loss of a job or a loved one), or nothing at all. Existential depression has not been widely researched and no specific therapeutic approaches have been shown to work better than others in its treatment.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/what-is-existential-depression/

Hey mate, I came here to post something I found out about recently. Seems like it might apply to you as well.

I've been going through a similar thing for closing in on 2 years now, basically since I lost my job and my girlfriend dumped me. I'm 25 and I'm on my 4th career change. For a while it felt like I was never going to find something that I both enjoyed doing and could make work in my current life situation. While I've been recycling and retraining so much, the thought of it coming crashing down again is always on my mind.

I've had some remissions and was seeing a therapist for a while, but then found out due to the wonder of the American medical system that the therapist was "out of network" and the only ones "in network" involve a 150 mile round trip drive. Which is something I can't currently afford. My condition doesn't really fit the mold of a classical clinical depression case, yet it's hard to argue with what's been happening in my head.

To know that there is (possibly, I don't condone self-diagnosis, but I don't have any other options at present) a name for what's happening was big relief to me.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/what-is-existential-depression/

I think most " regular " therapists combine some of this thinking in their treatment mate. Retraining the brain so to speak.
I've had a go at something similar, which was akin to mediation and it's very hard to do without proper training and the right environment to practice it in.

I think most " regular " therapists combine some of this thinking in their treatment mate. Retraining the brain so to speak.
I've had a go at something similar, which was akin to mediation and it's very hard to do without proper training and the right environment to practice it in.

Aye. Cognitive behavioral therapy I believe is the name. That's what I was doing as well. I've also heard of mindfulness therapy, but have never experienced that myself.

I requested at the outset with the therapist that I didn't want to be put on any medication, as most of the friends I have with similar mental health cases said they didn't like the side effects. I also have an aversion for taking pills for recurring things or things I consider symptoms (so I very rarely take painkillers, for example. Only every took 1 vicodin tablet when I got my wisdom teeth out. Pills for mental health fits the former for me.

Well off to the old lady today for the last time.
It's amazing to think that outside my home Goodison Park is the place I have spent more time at in my life.
Even though it's the same ground i'ts changed so much since I started going in the 70's, little changes maybe but changes all the same.
Feeling a bit apprehensive about meeting all the lads and ladies, most know about whats happening to me I think but I still feel a little awkward as how to act or what to say. Just take it as it comes I suppose and try to enjoy the day. Catch up with you all in the fume thread later lol.

It's amazing to think that outside my home Goodison Park is the place I have spent more time at in my life.
Even though it's the same ground i'ts changed so much since I started going in the 70's, little changes maybe but changes all the same.
Feeling a bit apprehensive about meeting all the lads and ladies, most know about whats happening to me I think but I still feel a little awkward as how to act or what to say. Just take it as it comes I suppose and try to enjoy the day. Catch up with you all in the fume thread later lol.
Have a great day mate. Am betting you'll find others more awkward and not knowing what to say initially.
A drink or two can't hurt.
No fume hopefully. A win and a protest would be nice and maybe you'll see a future Everton champion in one of the young guns that will play.

Enjoy your day, and fume as much as you want .

Forget about the footy, today is all about you mate. Make it a memorable one and I'd even go so far as to suggest a one man pitch protest just for the memory that you'd leave your loved ones with.

Imagine the headlines and you'd be a hero on here forever more !

You are an inspiration mate x

Enjoy every minute (perhaps don't face the pitch, that should help :D)- I'm sure everyone will just want to make the most of seeing you and enjoying the game together, so enjoy the time in your second home x

Forget about the footy, today is all about you mate. Make it a memorable one and I'd even go so far as to suggest a one man pitch protest just for the memory that you'd leave your loved ones with.

Imagine the headlines and you'd be a hero on here forever more !

You are an inspiration mate x
Oh yes great thinking this!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back