Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Off to see my councillor tomorrow and really looking forward to it. I understand that quite a few people on here seem a bit apprehensive or reluctant to see a councillor about their problems but if you get it right it is so beneficial. I know everyone is different and maybe it doesn't always work for everyone but I would be remiss of me not to say at least try and give it a go. OK I have been lucky, I have been with her 3 years and built up a good friendship as well as the use of her nursing and counselling skills. I very rarely got into deep depression like some here but quite low at times and talking to her about things I couldn't or wouldn't talk to family and friends about really helped at those times. It didn't stop my down moments because they always appear but at the time I had one it really helped ease it. Like I have said before counselling is not a cure but an aid, a help, a place you can just get everything out. So please anyone who thinks about seeing one at least TRY to give it a go, if it works it works if it doesn't at least you know you gave it a go.

Off to see my councillor tomorrow and really looking forward to it. I understand that quite a few people on here seem a bit apprehensive or reluctant to see a councillor about their problems but if you get it right it is so beneficial. I know everyone is different and maybe it doesn't always work for everyone but I would be remiss of me not to say at least try and give it a go. OK I have been lucky, I have been with her 3 years and built up a good friendship as well as the use of her nursing and counselling skills. I very rarely got into deep depression like some here but quite low at times and talking to her about things I couldn't or wouldn't talk to family and friends about really helped at those times. It didn't stop my down moments because they always appear but at the time I had one it really helped ease it. Like I have said before counselling is not a cure but an aid, a help, a place you can just get everything out. So please anyone who thinks about seeing one at least TRY to give it a go, if it works it works if it doesn't at least you know you gave it a go.
how did you get on mate ?

how did you get on mate ?
Good thank you. We had a good chat and a laugh. I managed to talk about the problems that we had been having all week without interruption which I know would happen if I tried to talk to family members or friends, so got a load off my mind. She helped me understand a little better about what comes next, not too much detail as I need to see the consultants in 2 weeks to get a full understanding of how they wish to proceed but she took me out of limbo so to speak. It's been a weird feeling not knowing, like ok we all know now, what you got for us next? is that it?
Everyone saying we can beat this, they could be wrong, chemo will cure it etc etc. hell i'd feel such a fool if that was true lol i'd hide.
So all in all it was good, I felt better, more relieved and more focused coming away than I did going.

Good thank you. We had a good chat and a laugh. I managed to talk about the problems that we had been having all week without interruption which I know would happen if I tried to talk to family members or friends, so got a load off my mind. She helped me understand a little better about what comes next, not too much detail as I need to see the consultants in 2 weeks to get a full understanding of how they wish to proceed but she took me out of limbo so to speak. It's been a weird feeling not knowing, like ok we all know now, what you got for us next? is that it?
Everyone saying we can beat this, they could be wrong, chemo will cure it etc etc. hell i'd feel such a fool if that was true lol i'd hide.
So all in all it was good, I felt better, more relieved and more focused coming away than I did going.
Keep the fight mate. Until.

Fantastic. I think every teen should have a mandatory session with a councillor from a young age to understand this. It's ok to talk to someone about your problems. There's a stigma surrounding young men over talking about their problems and it's terribly sad.

Great to hear it went well for you, mate. All the best.

@wbn61 pleased that it went well for you, it's never easy walking into that room.

As for me, talking here, going to my therapist and generally forcing myself to face deep rooted fears has led to accepting a date this week. Sounds small I know, but would never have done it a few months ago, the negative voice in my head would've taken control, so this feels like a massive step towards moving on from being paralysed at the fear of being emotionally destroyed again. I feel like I'm taking the first baby step towards taking back control, whatever happens on the date itself :rolleyes::)

@wbn61 pleased that it went well for you, it's never easy walking into that room.

As for me, talking here, going to my therapist and generally forcing myself to face deep rooted fears has led to accepting a date this week. Sounds small I know, but would never have done it a few months ago, the negative voice in my head would've taken control, so this feels like a massive step towards moving on from being paralysed at the fear of being emotionally destroyed again. I feel like I'm taking the first baby step towards taking back control, whatever happens on the date itself :rolleyes::)[/QUOTE

Don't play it down, its a massive step forward. Whatever you do, don't try and " drink " your way through the date to steady your nerves !!!!

Sounds small I know, but would never have done it a few months ago, the negative voice in my head would've taken control, so this feels like a massive step towards moving on from being paralysed at the fear of being emotionally destroyed again.
It's not small at all. It's a massive step to date & hope that someone likes you.

You give over a lot of trust to the other person in order for them to see who you really are and it's not unreasonable to expect the same back. It's also not unreasonable to expect someone to honour the trust you have put in them, which is why a betrayal of that trust hurts so much.

Lets face it, there are some manipulative a**eholes out there but sometimes, you've just got to sift through them to find the diamonds. Have a great night & if it doesn't work out...Cest la vie!

@COYBL25 thanks- have deliberately set it up so that I can't drink - am trying not too anyway (it really is a depressive- only times I've drunk in the last 3 months were after the Derby and after the semi final, and I was depressed anyway!)

@BiggyRat thanks for the support :) yes, c'est la vie is the attitude I'm taking- better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't - feels like I'm getting my old courage and strength back, finally. Worst case, I have a dull night, best case, I meet someone worthwhile. Either way, beats sitting at home wondering ;)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back