Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Cheers mate. I am strongly considering it. Where I work is pretty much the worst department in the whole place, zero job progression and like I say thst is a drop in the ocean of what happens in the place

My girl is great cheers. Was meant to post a reply and never got round to it haha. She recovered within 2 hours and was running round the hospital, was home that night as well. The outlook isn't 100% positive but they aren't considering open heart surgery so she may just one day be fine and not need anything else.

Keep us all posted mate and I wish you and your family all the best.

Re your job - your little girl is your focus now, job second.

Cheers mate. I am strongly considering it. Where I work is pretty much the worst department in the whole place, zero job progression and like I say thst is a drop in the ocean of what happens in the place

My girl is great cheers. Was meant to post a reply and never got round to it haha. She recovered within 2 hours and was running round the hospital, was home that night as well. The outlook isn't 100% positive but they aren't considering open heart surgery so she may just one day be fine and not need anything else.

Hi there, just wanted to say I feel for you, I've also been in similar situations, although not all at the same time- your situation sounds horrid, so well done for keeping it together. Like @COYBL25 I'd say without senior management / HR support you're probably banging your head against a brick wall. My friend who works in development, when talking about change, always says "you can't want it more than they do"- ie trying to force change in a resistant environment will just stress you and ultimately make no difference to them. That's not your failing.

I'd also say, take the sideways move. Life is too short to spend so many hours a day in such a toxic environment. And keep your eyes out for any other opportunities. Good luck.

So. I don't post a lot but I think this might be useful. I have suffered with depression and anxiety for the last 5 years. And recently diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after a stressful and scary time with our son in the 1st few days of his life. My counsellor suggested a way to work through the PTSD in order for my brain to process it. It's about habituation. Like watching a scary film. The more you watch it the less scary it is. And that's basically what you have to do with PTSD. So she made me record this on my phone.

You have to sit down, close your eyes and imagine your there in whatever situation it is that is causing the PTSD. And you have to describe it in the now tense. All sights, smells, sounds, feelings, thoughts. Only the part that causes the anxiety. With no parts that cause reassurance. Once you have done that. I was in tears and felt 100% anxious. She then made me listen to it again. And again. And inbetween each time you update your memory to how the situation has improved. So for example "my son is fit and healthy now". And you keep listening to it until your anxiety had completely gone and it is stored in your brain as a past experience. I was there for about 1hour 15 and came out feeling less anxious and a bit lighter.

I hope this helps someone.

So. I don't post a lot but I think this might be useful. I have suffered with depression and anxiety for the last 5 years. And recently diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after a stressful and scary time with our son in the 1st few days of his life. My counsellor suggested a way to work through the PTSD in order for my brain to process it. It's about habituation. Like watching a scary film. The more you watch it the less scary it is. And that's basically what you have to do with PTSD. So she made me record this on my phone.

You have to sit down, close your eyes and imagine your there in whatever situation it is that is causing the PTSD. And you have to describe it in the now tense. All sights, smells, sounds, feelings, thoughts. Only the part that causes the anxiety. With no parts that cause reassurance. Once you have done that. I was in tears and felt 100% anxious. She then made me listen to it again. And again. And inbetween each time you update your memory to how the situation has improved. So for example "my son is fit and healthy now". And you keep listening to it until your anxiety had completely gone and it is stored in your brain as a past experience. I was there for about 1hour 15 and came out feeling less anxious and a bit lighter.

Great post. Glad you are working through your illness. There is someone on here who may probably take your advice many probably not, I do the same myself I look at everything then think that sounds good or nah that's not for me but that's my choice.
Kudos to you for putting it out there, it shows the type of person you are that despite your own troubles you have compassion for others.
I hope you continue posting.

Thank you.

Great post. Glad you are working through your illness. There is someone on here who may probably take your advice many probably not, I do the same myself I look at everything then think that sounds good or nah that's not for me but that's my choice.
Kudos to you for putting it out there, it shows the type of person you are that despite your own troubles you have compassion for others.
I hope you continue posting.
@Morag is the person who inspired the creation of this thread along with Gary Speed folks.

I saw her go through what was eventually diagnosed as post-natal depression after our first child was born and it was only when help was sought, that she could even begin to feel better and see just how bad things had been.

It took its toll on me also, as when someone suffers any illness, the whole family suffers. I won't bore you all with the nitty gritty details.

Then as she points out our second child, our son was ill at first and it was terrifying. All good now though.

Ultimately however, I'm happy to report that while there's good days and bad days, I'm sure she won't mind when I speak for both of us and say things are much much better after seeking help.

Happy you found help, although I can imagine that particular process was incredibly daunting. To willingly relive moments that cause PTSD and anxiety is not something I would ever have imagined being helpful! But I guess that's why we have professionals who know about these sorts of things.

Thank you for sharing!

Certainly has helped me mate. Have suffered with PTSD from very young. This thread is an amazing help even to people who dont want to share their feelings, just to read is a big help. Good on the lads who made this, i'm sure its helped a lot of other people besides myself, well done blues

Had a really bad day yesterday. Didn't feel like sharing sorry, just too drained and not with it to care. I have been reducing my steroids and I think that they had lost their effect. Consulted nurse on the phone and she agreed I can increase them again so I am a lot better today. I'd rather put up with the side effects as the benefits are better. Busy weekend planned so need all the energy I can muster. We have some old family friends visiting from Burscough a village north of Liverpool and they are all reds lol, in fact in all the years we visited them everyone we met was a red, must be a breeding ground for them. Going to be fun, they going to have to watch the game with me this evening so lots of banter ensuing I think. Thanks for reading, I just feel better putting thoughts on here.

Had a really bad day yesterday. Didn't feel like sharing sorry, just too drained and not with it to care. I have been reducing my steroids and I think that they had lost their effect. Consulted nurse on the phone and she agreed I can increase them again so I am a lot better today. I'd rather put up with the side effects as the benefits are better. Busy weekend planned so need all the energy I can muster. We have some old family friends visiting from Burscough a village north of Liverpool and they are all reds lol, in fact in all the years we visited them everyone we met was a red, must be a breeding ground for them. Going to be fun, they going to have to watch the game with me this evening so lots of banter ensuing I think. Thanks for reading, I just feel better putting thoughts on here.

Good days and bad days mate, take them as they come.

Ps - no one is taking the game seriously, so join in with them !

You are excused for having a bad day mate ;)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back