Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Well another good weekend was had. (besides the normal 90 min lol). Took our visiting friends out for the night and had a good time. Lots of photos taken, it was like being in front of the paparazzi with all the flashes lol. Went today with the wife for our free meal at my blue mates pub.

But I seem to be finding it harder to recover. Usually a day resting or a few hours in bed I'm ok, but not now. I try to carry on as normal so no one notices but it's a struggle.
On a brighter note I realise how lucky I am. With talking to people I am finding out what problems and worries they are facing, small examples 1 friend had a brain tumor a few years back and fears the return and the things she will suffer, another has a disease that she knows will eventualy lead to dementia and that scares her, some of the young people my wife cares for who have had no life as such and will go early, you on here who have your own illnesses and problems. You still have to face them, mine will be over but with a life that was full and worthy.

I have a huge amount of admiration for you mate, the way you've dealt with the situation and are continuing to deal with it is absolutely top notch.

All the best

Just a quickie before the footy starts. Had a productive day today, went to the cemetery to sort out my brothers grave. Cleared it up and put edging around and filled with stones. Looks good. Eldest son came with me to do all the carrying and help with the digging. Had to have a sleep after lol.

@wbn61 - you do know you that you don't have to carry on so no-one notices, right? You are allowed to be tired and let people know x

And, since you were concerned, the date guy blew me out - long story- so it didn't happen. Am trying not to go back to my cynical "all guys are flaky" thoughts (yes, in advance of comments, I know it's unfair of me to say, but … it's tough)… will bounce back soon enough, but tough. Sick of being someone's option rather than their priority…

Anyhow. New week, new thoughts. Wish @wbn61 and everyone else here a good week. Off to see my NHS therapist on Monday, let's see how that goes…
Hi did you go yesterday? How was it?

Hi there, kind of you to ask :) yes, I went, it was fine, not particularly enlightening, but it's sometimes like that I guess. How's your week going?
Good at least you're going, we know its not going to solve any problems but it allows you to get it out of your head and not bottle it all in.
My week so far isn't too bad just feeling weak. I have upped my steroids so I am a bit ocd and rushing around like a speed freak lol.
I am going to the pub tonight with a few friends and my son to watch the match.

Good at least you're going, we know its not going to solve any problems but it allows you to get it out of your head and not bottle it all in.
My week so far isn't too bad just feeling weak. I have upped my steroids so I am a bit ocd and rushing around like a speed freak lol.
Off to the Norwich game on the weekend? Or did you say your goodbyes to Goodison as stated last week?

First time post here, been chronically depressed most of my adult life (now closing in on 60). Tried medication no improvement, two different attempts of counselling one marginally helpful the other a total waste of time. Over the years just learned to live with it, have no close friends, very small family (sister, mother who both have bigger problems than mine) so talking to them is not on. My only child (grown son) is a possible confident, but it is very difficult to go from being the father-figure to the one needing help.....
I have been aware of this site for years and reading it seems to help when I am low. But last weekend had a full on anxiety attack (my first one) and it scared me, so I am trying actually posting here as a preliminary attempt to reach out, don't know if it will help, but I am hoping that committing thoughts to written form will help....

First time post here, been chronically depressed most of my adult life (now closing in on 60). Tried medication no improvement, two different attempts of counselling one marginally helpful the other a total waste of time. Over the years just learned to live with it, have no close friends, very small family (sister, mother who both have bigger problems than mine) so talking to them is not on. My only child (grown son) is a possible confident, but it is very difficult to go from being the father-figure to the one needing help.....
I have been aware of this site for years and reading it seems to help when I am low. But last weekend had a full on anxiety attack (my first one) and it scared me, so I am trying actually posting here as a preliminary attempt to reach out, don't know if it will help, but I am hoping that committing thoughts to written form will help....
Have you tried counselling recently?

Welcome. What a step you have made by posting on here. Most of us on here are of similar situations and others are compassionate people who are here to listen to what we have to say. I personally have found it of great help to use this thread so give it a go. it's not going to cure you but beats the hell out of facing things alone.

Well, that makes sad reading if you've carried this for so long. My only hope is that we've come a long way since you first attempted counseling and, as Groucho suggests, maybe another shot at it might be worth the effort.
It might be that your son is up to the challenge of supporting you. I've seen my Parents decline to the point where they'd be lost without our support. It's just how the world turns & it's not like you're asking him to wipe baked beans off your chin. You're only really asking for a shoulder to lean on.
Anyway, there's always GOT for a digitally anonymous shoulder...;)

Well, that makes sad reading if you've carried this for so long. My only hope is that we've come a long way since you first attempted counseling and, as Groucho suggests, maybe another shot at it might be worth the effort.
It might be that your son is up to the challenge of supporting you. I've seen my Parents decline to the point where they'd be lost without our support. It's just how the world turns & it's not like you're asking him to wipe baked beans off your chin. You're only really asking for a shoulder to lean on.
Anyway, there's always GOT for a digitally anonymous shoulder...;)
My sons are a big help to me at the moment, after all the years of helping them they are returning the favour with physical work and listening to me. I know it is hard for them but they are prepared to help me along.

It scared the hell out of me when I had my first problem with anxiety. Once you know what's happened though it can become easier as you know it will pass and you're not having a heart attack. There's not much point in reiterating what others have said re CBT, counselling etc but if you read through the thread you will find a lot of good suggestions for help.

Well, there's got to be some perks to your situation, right? So enjoy the good meds ;) Have a fantastic time at the pub tonight- hopefully our boys will give you something to smile about :)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back