Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

First time post here, been chronically depressed most of my adult life (now closing in on 60). Tried medication no improvement, two different attempts of counselling one marginally helpful the other a total waste of time. Over the years just learned to live with it, have no close friends, very small family (sister, mother who both have bigger problems than mine) so talking to them is not on. My only child (grown son) is a possible confident, but it is very difficult to go from being the father-figure to the one needing help.....
I have been aware of this site for years and reading it seems to help when I am low. But last weekend had a full on anxiety attack (my first one) and it scared me, so I am trying actually posting here as a preliminary attempt to reach out, don't know if it will help, but I am hoping that committing thoughts to written form will help....

Welcome- and well done for taking the step to reach out here- as others have said, we're a decent bunch here, and I know it's helped me to start talking here. Hopefully you'll find some good advice here that will work for you.

Have you tried counselling recently?
Also, have you tried medication recently? I’ve been on and off depression/anxiety/insomnia meds for over forty years and I know that different types suit different people, that they take a while to kick in and that some doctors start you on a very low dosage that just isn’t enough. Like counselling, it can take a while to find what you need and to feel the benefits

Medication may not be a cure in and of itself, but I’ve been very grateful for the relief it’s brought me over the years.

First time post here, been chronically depressed most of my adult life (now closing in on 60). Tried medication no improvement, two different attempts of counselling one marginally helpful the other a total waste of time. Over the years just learned to live with it, have no close friends, very small family (sister, mother who both have bigger problems than mine) so talking to them is not on. My only child (grown son) is a possible confident, but it is very difficult to go from being the father-figure to the one needing help.....
I have been aware of this site for years and reading it seems to help when I am low. But last weekend had a full on anxiety attack (my first one) and it scared me, so I am trying actually posting here as a preliminary attempt to reach out, don't know if it will help, but I am hoping that committing thoughts to written form will help....

Welcome mate, I've suffered chronic anxiety problems for over a decade, so I can fully appreciate where you are coming from. Hopefully you've caught it early and can do something about it ?.

Have you thought about a short course of sedatives, just to get you back on an even keel or even just to take when you feel an attack coming on ?.

They work almost immediately and will make you feel " normal ". Your GP should only prescribe them for a max 2 / 3 weeks, as they can be habit forming.

Another thing I have found that really helps is excercise. I appreciate that you are in your late fifties, but any form of excercise that gets your heart going will help release endorphins, which help measurably in reducing anxiety.

This may sound a bit hippyish, but diet can help too, although it may take a month or so before you feel the benefit.
Foods with Vitiamin B, Magnesium and Zinc have been shown to help some people.

Also there a natural sedatives that can be taken - Valerian Root Tablets and something called Hydroxytrptohan ( 5 HTP )
( shouldn't be taken without consulting your GP of you're on prescription meds ).

Like you I've had therapy and it didn't work for me either and through my own research and from advice from others on here, I try to practice all the above which I have found really helps me .

Hope this helps mate and please keep posting .

Well what a mixed day emotion wise. Obviously happy with the Martinez news ( my personal opinion) but bad timing for me. My local is holding a fun day soon for me to raise funds for my cancer unit and was hoping to see my friend Dennis Lawrence for some assistance with items for raffle, auction etc but don't think it's the right time now lol. Felt good today with the sun out but feeling bad health wise, this is what I mean by mixed emotions. Was supposed to see oncologist tomorrow but they have cancelled it till next week, there is so much I need to ask, are the new aches pains etc i'm feeling the start or is it just something else. I am so confused. Keep feeling I should be doing something but am procrastinating (one of my favourite words, had to slip it in somewhere lol) Had a bit of bad news today, my sister in law has been diagnosed with a crooked spine. She's in her 40's and has a spine of a 60 odd year old with years of pain, stooping and other related problems ahead of her.:rant:
On a lighter note had a good turn out last night for the game, people travelling out of their towns to meet up with me in a village they would never go to lol, about 10 of us so I was pleased with that but I was so tired after.
Like I said mixed emotions and confusion today but have decided to have a drink and chill. I am not drinking because I feel like I am but because just thought the sun is out want to chill listen to music and have a good time like we all do at times. going to be serious rock Sabbath, ac/dc, purple, the cult, etc got Ziggy stardust on now " moonage daydream" (ok not that serious rock) ordered a Chinese ready for when the wife comes home later.
Hope everyone is ok today, I do think of you all and your problems and still want to hear about your days and how you are coping .
hwyl fawr

Well what a mixed day emotion wise. Obviously happy with the Martinez news ( my personal opinion) but bad timing for me. My local is holding a fun day soon for me to raise funds for my cancer unit and was hoping to see my friend Dennis Lawrence for some assistance with items for raffle, auction etc but don't think it's the right time now lol. Felt good today with the sun out but feeling bad health wise, this is what I mean by mixed emotions. Was supposed to see oncologist tomorrow but they have cancelled it till next week, there is so much I need to ask, are the new aches pains etc i'm feeling the start or is it just something else. I am so confused. Keep feeling I should be doing something but am procrastinating (one of my favourite words, had to slip it in somewhere lol) Had a bit of bad news today, my sister in law has been diagnosed with a crooked spine. She's in her 40's and has a spine of a 60 odd year old with years of pain, stooping and other related problems ahead of her.:rant:
On a lighter note had a good turn out last night for the game, people travelling out of their towns to meet up with me in a village they would never go to lol, about 10 of us so I was pleased with that but I was so tired after.
Like I said mixed emotions and confusion today but have decided to have a drink and chill. I am not drinking because I feel like I am but because just thought the sun is out want to chill listen to music and have a good time like we all do at times. going to be serious rock Sabbath, ac/dc, purple, the cult, etc got Ziggy stardust on now " moonage daydream" (ok not that serious rock) ordered a Chinese ready for when the wife comes home later.
Hope everyone is ok today, I do think of you all and your problems and still want to hear about your days and how you are coping .
hwyl fawr

May I be the first to commend you on your excellent choice in music ;)

Just take each day as it comes mate .

Ps - could you put the " Love " album on by the Cult for me ( if you've got it ) one of my all time favs x

Got to be " Rain " for me !
to be honest havn't got this album but listening on you tube. do they ever do a bad song? they were awesome live.

apologies to all for talking about my night on here, will move to ale house or somewhere if more appropriate, just need some company sorry.

to be honest havn't got this album but listening on you tube. do they ever do a bad song? they were awesome live.

apologies to all for talking about my night on here, will move to ale house or somewhere if more appropriate, just need some company sorry.

No need to apologise mate, it's what this thread is for and it sure beats all the madmen whose heads are exploding in the various Martinez and new manager threads !

One of the loudest bands I've ever heard live outside of DC !

No need to apologise mate, it's what this thread is for and it sure beats all the madmen whose heads are exploding in the various Martinez and new manager threads !

One of the loudest bands I've ever heard live outside of DC !

To be fair, that news today was the best boost to my mood I could've had... I got giddy and bought ice creams for everyone in the officeo_O:D

@wbn61 can't recommend any rock music, but if you ever need a Chinese recommendation, I'm here- I lived there for six years so I'm well versed in the good dishes ;)

Sorry about your sister. I've had back issues for the last few years, but I've recently found an amazing acupuncturist and physio who has made a massive difference - can highly recommend acupuncture for backs.

This week has been testing. Stress piled on me at work, and a fair amount of emotional blackmail from work and my family. Feel a bit like the proverbial swan, graceful on top, paddling like crazy underneath. Been very exhausted. Ah well. Weekend soon.

To be fair, that news today was the best boost to my mood I could've had... I got giddy and bought ice creams for everyone in the officeo_O:D

@wbn61 can't recommend any rock music, but if you ever need a Chinese recommendation, I'm here- I lived there for six years so I'm well versed in the good dishes ;)

Sorry about your sister. I've had back issues for the last few years, but I've recently found an amazing acupuncturist and physio who has made a massive difference - can highly recommend acupuncture for backs.

This week has been testing. Stress piled on me at work, and a fair amount of emotional blackmail from work and my family. Feel a bit like the proverbial swan, graceful on top, paddling like crazy underneath. Been very exhausted. Ah well. Weekend soon.
Sorry to hear about your testing week but glad you are coping gracefully ( don't like putting my head underwater ) hope the weekend pans out better for you.

Welcome mate, I've suffered chronic anxiety problems for over a decade, so I can fully appreciate where you are coming from. Hopefully you've caught it early and can do something about it ?.

Have you thought about a short course of sedatives, just to get you back on an even keel or even just to take when you feel an attack coming on ?.

They work almost immediately and will make you feel " normal ". Your GP should only prescribe them for a max 2 / 3 weeks, as they can be habit forming.

Another thing I have found that really helps is excercise. I appreciate that you are in your late fifties, but any form of excercise that gets your heart going will help release endorphins, which help measurably in reducing anxiety.

This may sound a bit hippyish, but diet can help too, although it may take a month or so before you feel the benefit.
Foods with Vitiamin B, Magnesium and Zinc have been shown to help some people.

Also there a natural sedatives that can be taken - Valerian Root Tablets and something called Hydroxytrptohan ( 5 HTP )
( shouldn't be taken without consulting your GP of you're on prescription meds ).

Like you I've had therapy and it didn't work for me either and through my own research and from advice from others on here, I try to practice all the above which I have found really helps me .

Hope this helps mate and please keep posting .

Wow lot's of responses, many things mentioned that I have been aware of in the past but good to be reminded about....
My foray into medications was quite awhile ago so there are probably lots of new options in that area and will keep that open as an option

The two counselling series of sessions were more recent within the last couple of years. I did some many years before that and so I have a sense of what works, and there is an Employee Assistance Program through work.

I know my diet is poor and should get more exercise
I used to get cluster headaches but thankfully haven't had any for 6 years ( I was told by a neurologist that I would probably "age" out of them
and I guess I did) but while I was having them I used to suspect that there were food triggers and I watched my diet fairly closely.... the more recent consensus is that diet is not as much a factor as thought at first. So I eased up on the watchfulness in that area

The frustrating thing is when I have a "down time" and realize that I should do something about it, the official support channels operate very slowly and by the time I can arrange some counselling I have already come out of the "down" on my own and I feel like don't have much to say. So having a read or a post here is a more immediate help.

So thanks to all

And if another anxiety attack occurs at least I won't be as taken by surprise....

Wow lot's of responses, many things mentioned that I have been aware of in the past but good to be reminded about....
My foray into medications was quite awhile ago so there are probably lots of new options in that area and will keep that open as an option

The two counselling series of sessions were more recent within the last couple of years. I did some many years before that and so I have a sense of what works, and there is an Employee Assistance Program through work.

I know my diet is poor and should get more exercise
I used to get cluster headaches but thankfully haven't had any for 6 years ( I was told by a neurologist that I would probably "age" out of them
and I guess I did) but while I was having them I used to suspect that there were food triggers and I watched my diet fairly closely.... the more recent consensus is that diet is not as much a factor as thought at first. So I eased up on the watchfulness in that area

The frustrating thing is when I have a "down time" and realize that I should do something about it, the official support channels operate very slowly and by the time I can arrange some counselling I have already come out of the "down" on my own and I feel like don't have much to say. So having a read or a post here is a more immediate help.

So thanks to all

And if another anxiety attack occurs at least I won't be as taken by surprise....
I'll let the others, far more knowledgeable than me, comment on the other bits, but you are right in commenting on your exercise and diet.
Start to refocus on this part. Little steps each day.

If you read over the posts in this thread, many have mentioned an improvement in their situation by improving their nutritional intake and doing some exercise...be it going for an hour walk every day even if you can.

You are not alone in here. Post as much as you feel you need and desire to ;)

One thing should be pointed out,for all the advice on here which can be helpful,remember not all depression is the same and not all medication has the same effect on everyone,but dont sit in silence and suffer i done that for 20 years because of an arrogant doctor and its cost me jobs, friends,relationships its only the last couple of years that i have sought help but im glad i did

One thing should be pointed out,for all the advice on here which can be helpful,remember not all depression is the same and not all medication has the same effect on everyone,but dont sit in silence and suffer i done that for 20 years because of an arrogant doctor and its cost me jobs, friends,relationships its only the last couple of years that i have sought help but im glad i did

Can I also add that if you aren't happy with one GP, your have the right to see another or even change surgery. Just like everything in life there's good and bad

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back