Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Can I also add that if you aren't happy with one GP, your have the right to see another or even change surgery. Just like everything in life there's good and bad

Too right @COYBL25 and @jaycee, keep going back if you feel you can. You'll find one doctor who will have some expertise in the area and they will help you decide the very best course of action. Would also suggest giving someone like 'Mind' a call if you don't get any luck. You're totally right in that no one treatment is fit for all. Everybody has such diverse needs. Anyway Mind are incredible at helping you find the right support or even giving it to you themselves.

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/

Too right @COYBL25 and @jaycee, keep going back if you feel you can. You'll find one doctor who will have some expertise in the area and they will help you decide the very best course of action. Would also suggest giving someone like 'Mind' a call if you don't get any luck. You're totally right in that no one treatment is fit for all. Everybody has such diverse needs. Anyway Mind are incredible at helping you find the right support or even giving it to you themselves.

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/
I have been fortunate in going to a doctor for the first time in 20 years and have the most understanding female doctor

To be fair, that news today was the best boost to my mood I could've had... I got giddy and bought ice creams for everyone in the officeo_O:D

@wbn61 can't recommend any rock music, but if you ever need a Chinese recommendation, I'm here- I lived there for six years so I'm well versed in the good dishes ;)

Sorry about your sister. I've had back issues for the last few years, but I've recently found an amazing acupuncturist and physio who has made a massive difference - can highly recommend acupuncture for backs.

This week has been testing. Stress piled on me at work, and a fair amount of emotional blackmail from work and my family. Feel a bit like the proverbial swan, graceful on top, paddling like crazy underneath. Been very exhausted. Ah well. Weekend soon.

PS - I've done a bit of research on the use of acupuncture to ease anxiety. Not a lot of stuff out there really, but what there is generally seems to be positive.

The problem I found was that there didn't seem to be a lot of call for accupuncture in Merseyside and as such there weren't that many of them about ?.

I have been fortunate in going to a doctor for the first time in 20 years and have the most understanding female doctor

Brilliant that. Same here- a female doctor. Don't know if some comes down to gender; think age also plays a part. The first doctor I visited was a 70+ Irish guy. Thought he was great, until my first breakdown, when he said I was just sad and told me to take a couple of days off and get back to it. Didn't go back to the doctors for a year or two, and that time sent me over the edge and in reality wasted a big chunk of my youth. Sadly we're all predisposed to take doctor's order. Only you know yourself, and if you or your family/ friends know something wrong, it really should be the case of being supported to find the right professional to help you on the road to recovery. Drives me mad (excuse the pun) to think there are so many in healthcare out there that seem to brush off mental ill-health as something trivial.

Brilliant that. Same here- a female doctor. Don't know if some comes down to gender; think age also plays a part. The first doctor I visited was a 70+ Irish guy. Thought he was great, until my first breakdown, when he said I was just sad and told me to take a couple of days off and get back to it. Didn't go back to the doctors for a year or two, and that time sent me over the edge and in reality wasted a big chunk of my youth. Sadly we're all predisposed to take doctor's order. Only you know yourself, and if you or your family/ friends know something wrong, it really should be the case of being supported to find the right professional to help you on the road to recovery. Drives me mad (excuse the pun) to think there are so many in healthcare out there that seem to brush off mental ill-health as something trivial.
Without going into too much detail,after one incident my dr response was grow up and stop attention seeking,hence the 20 odd year wait before seeking help again

Without going into too much detail,after one incident my dr response was grow up and stop attention seeking,hence the 20 odd year wait before seeking help again

Unreal that was said. Really sorry to hear it, but so glad you did manage to seek help again. It's never too late to do so- it takes some guts after that so without meaning to sound patronising in any way, well done. :)

Unreal that was said. Really sorry to hear it, but so glad you did manage to seek help again. It's never too late to do so- it takes some guts after that so without meaning to sound patronising in any way, well done. :)
It was a case of having to mate when your sitting on a dual carraige way at 3 in thr morning sobbing and its piddling down it brings home the need to look for answers

It was a case of having to mate when your sitting on a dual carraige way at 3 in thr morning sobbing and its piddling down it brings home the need to look for answers

So sorry to hear that mate. Should never get to that point but incredible for you to get through that. Are you still struggling? Wish you the very best, and genuinely say feel free to message if you ever need to unload. I went through a period of breaking down in the most unexpected places- during a squash match, in my car on a dual carriageway, on top of a mountain, in the middle of a bank. It's a horrible thing that can crop up with just the smallest of prompts. Always say though it's a reflection of strength, and not as your original doctor alluded to from not keeping yourself together. Those break downs are a reaction to you defending your corner for so long. To come through what you did is so building and will help you in a strange way. As I said anyway, feel free to PM if ever needed and share as much as you like/ can. Apologise if you already have done on here. In and out a bit, and miss quite a bit!

PS - I've done a bit of research on the use of acupuncture to ease anxiety. Not a lot of stuff out there really, but what there is generally seems to be positive.

The problem I found was that there didn't seem to be a lot of call for accupuncture in Merseyside and as such there weren't that many of them about ?.

That's odd, since there's such a big Chinese community in Liverpool? I had a quick search and found details of a few.

Also, if anyone is interested, most physios are qualified these days, or you could drop a line to any of the Chinese centres in Liverpool, they would also have details that might be harder to find outside the community.

I think acupuncture is amazing for a whole host of physical, mental and emotional problems.

I've got my first "call" with a councillor on Monday. An assessment apparently.
Good luck. Try to be as open as you can- the first few meetings are always tough. And don't forget, it's an assessment from your side too, to see if they are the right person for you (and they should tell you that too- so don't have any fear about being honest and telling them if the dynamic isn't working for you).

Having said that, I really hope it works well for you x

That's odd, since there's such a big Chinese community in Liverpool? I had a quick search and found details of a few.

Also, if anyone is interested, most physios are qualified these days, or you could drop a line to any of the Chinese centres in Liverpool, they would also have details that might be harder to find outside the community.

I think acupuncture is amazing for a whole host of physical, mental and emotional problems.

Thanks very much, sounds stupid, but I never thought about the Chinese aspect of it !

Thanks very much, sounds stupid, but I never thought about the Chinese aspect of it !
No problem! I immediately think of the Chinese side, because of my connection to China. I think Chinese treatment can be really helpful with mental illness, as the philosophy is all about balancing and recalibration- whereas western medicine tends to just be reactive. I know Tai China has also helped my mum in terms of mobility, and also calm, and Chinese medicine has helped my brother.

These things are always worth a try, right?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back