Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

No problem! I immediately think of the Chinese side, because of my connection to China. I think Chinese treatment can be really helpful with mental illness, as the philosophy is all about balancing and recalibration- whereas western medicine tends to just be reactive. I know Tai China has also helped my mum in terms of mobility, and also calm, and Chinese medicine has helped my brother.

These things are always worth a try, right?
I'm not convinced with herbal things, although if something is helping you then it is the right thing for you.

I always advise caution over things like St. John's Wort because, although available off the shelf in supermarkets, they can have unwanted side effects and sometimes, unwanted and unpleasant interactions with other meds you're on.

I'm not saying don't try alternative stuff, just do it with caution and get as much info as possible beforehand.

I'm not convinced with herbal things, although if something is helping you then it is the right thing for you.

I always advise caution over things like St. John's Wort because, although available off the shelf in supermarkets, they can have unwanted side effects and sometimes, unwanted and unpleasant interactions with other meds you're on.

I'm not saying don't try alternative stuff, just do it with caution and get as much info as possible beforehand.

Just to clarify- I would never self-medicate, and I'd never mix meds without prior consultation (and I don't think I was advocating that either?) But, for people who are reluctant to take other prescribed meds, it is an alternative-there's a reason why traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) is the third oldest in the world- but I would say go to a qualified TCM doctor and, as you say, get as informed as possible.

Just read this article about the benefits of hiking for the brain as well as the body, thought I'd share:

http://www.wimp.com/what-hiking-does-to-the-brain-is-pretty-amazing/
The trouble with some illnesses is exercise is not an option. ok I know mine is an extreme case but even in the early years because of the damage chemo does, the body cannot do too much. I could do small walks but not enough to release the chemicals needed. My solution when I felt down was to listen to music or vent on here lol.

@flippa sorry forgot to ask how you were today:D brain is slowing down.

Ah you're so lovely to ask :) I'm ok today- had a good lil 5.5k run in the park which reset me a bit (and I'm sorry you have mobility issues- I totally know how frustrating it is when you want to move and your body won't let you- glad you've found other ways to vent/ find calm) Am off to a big gay Eurovision party tonight, so having a couple of drinks to get in the zone…

More to the point, how are you doing? How's your week gone, and how are your family doing?

Ah you're so lovely to ask :) I'm ok today- had a good lil 5.5k run in the park which reset me a bit (and I'm sorry you have mobility issues- I totally know how frustrating it is when you want to move and your body won't let you- glad you've found other ways to vent/ find calm) Am off to a big gay Eurovision party tonight, so having a couple of drinks to get in the zone…

More to the point, how are you doing? How's your week gone, and how are your family doing?
In a good place today. The sun being out helps. Been bit hyper with the steroids lol. got a lot done in the garden (with lots of rest breaks) Made a curry for later. Just trying to chill now, aching like hell but having a few drinks with the wife, she will probably have Eurovision on later. only down side ( I have to don't I? ) is got beer got curry got nibbles but I have no taste (n). Enjoy your evening.
Iechyd da cariad.

I just need to vent....

I feel like I am going to fail my degree - had trouble with it before and had to interrupt a year due to mental health issues. I always succumb to self-induced pressure and haven't applied myself in the best way possible - but I do think that depression & insomnia have had a massive effect on my performance. The uni are aware of this - I'm not sure they can really help me though, unfortunately.

I'm kind of more at ease than I originally was with coming out with a grade well below of what I'm capable of - but I have been slogging away at it for so long that I feel as though it defines me now, as will the pending 'failure'. I know it's wrong and daft, but I can't see myself in the future after this, not without some simple ideal narrative of achieving a good grade and breezing through 'open doors' (I suppose this last sentiment is pretty typical of a lot of young people finishing university, though).

Instead I just have this dead albatross around my neck now and don't have a clue what I want to do - I just stagger from one challenge to the next without ever doing myself justice. I have thought about killing myself, though it shames me to say it, and I am pretty worn down by that idea invading my thinking on a daily basis, even if there is no 'real' danger of me doing it.

I feel completely empty and listless, but I don't think I could do that to my family, even though I feel like a massive disappointment to them.

Iechyd da cariad.

Awww, this bit made me a bit teary. My Scouse grandad (who practically raised me, and was my hero) always used to say that when he was drinking- although not sure if he said it right- always sounded like "yakky da" !

Very happy you're in a good place today :) Sorry your tastebuds have gone- but that might help if you have to watch Eurovision :p:p

You have a lovely evening too, you Welsh charmer - hope the wife enjoys Eurovision!

Awww, this bit made me a bit teary. My Scouse grandad (who practically raised me, and was my hero) always used to say that when he was drinking- although not sure if he said it right- always sounded like "yakky da" !

Very happy you're in a good place today :) Sorry your tastebuds have gone- but that might help if you have to watch Eurovision :p:p

You have a lovely evening too, you Welsh charmer - hope the wife enjoys Eurovision!
The pronounciation is spot on;) Teresa was tired after working all day but now after a drink and rest she has her 2nd wind and wants to go out.
:celebrate: so off to watch some bands play down town.

I just need to vent....

I feel like I am going to fail my degree - had trouble with it before and had to interrupt a year due to mental health issues. I always succumb to self-induced pressure and haven't applied myself in the best way possible - but I do think that depression & insomnia have had a massive effect on my performance. The uni are aware of this - I'm not sure they can really help me though, unfortunately.

I'm kind of more at ease than I originally was with coming out with a grade well below of what I'm capable of - but I have been slogging away at it for so long that I feel as though it defines me now, as will the pending 'failure'. I know it's wrong and daft, but I can't see myself in the future after this, not without some simple ideal narrative of achieving a good grade and breezing through 'open doors' (I suppose this last sentiment is pretty typical of a lot of young people finishing university, though).

Instead I just have this dead albatross around my neck now and don't have a clue what I want to do - I just stagger from one challenge to the next without ever doing myself justice. I have thought about killing myself, though it shames me to say it, and I am pretty worn down by that idea invading my thinking on a daily basis, even if there is no 'real' danger of me doing it.

I feel completely empty and listless, but I don't think I could do that to my family, even though I feel like a massive disappointment to them.
So sorry to hear about your fears hibber. try not to think of it as you failing but issues that are affecting your ability to do what you know you are capable of. your issues do not define you they mask your true self so hang in there. things could be worse you could be watching Eurovision.:eek:

I just need to vent....

I'm the same here, but I've still got another 2 years to go (provided I don't fail an exam in August). That out of the way now...

I don't know what helps you get going, but for me - I just have to get things done when I start them, and that's pretty much it. I don't like my degree at all, despite it being prestigious and all, so I'm in the same boat as you (ditto on the last part as well), however - I don't believe a degree will get you to be this amazing person, or define you as a failure for someone. I bet loads of people here weren't satisfied with theirs (or their grades etc) or dropped out and still went on to be great lads and lasses. It's about what you make of yourself, rather than your grades, if that makes sense. I am supposed to be studying engineering, and I enjoy the idea... but I probably won't do anything close to it when I'm done with the degree itself.

All I'm saying is - don't let uni make you someone you're clearly not. You're a good lad with a good head on your shoulders, what you do with your life should be your choice, not an institution's choice.

And I bet you're not a disappointment to your family mate. They're family for a reason, and family is much more than blood.

So sorry to hear about your fears hibber. try not to think of it as you failing but issues that are affecting your ability to do what you know you are capable of. your issues do not define you they mask your true self so hang in there. things could be worse you could be watching Eurovision.:eek:
Haha, I'm watching it this time, but just because our (Bulgaria) song is boss this year! :cool:

Spot on post anyway :)

I'm the same here, but I've still got another 2 years to go (provided I don't fail an exam in August). That out of the way now...

I don't know what helps you get going, but for me - I just have to get things done when I start them, and that's pretty much it. I don't like my degree at all, despite it being prestigious and all, so I'm in the same boat as you (ditto on the last part as well), however - I don't believe a degree will get you to be this amazing person, or define you as a failure for someone. I bet loads of people here weren't satisfied with theirs (or their grades etc) or dropped out and still went on to be great lads and lasses. It's about what you make of yourself, rather than your grades, if that makes sense. I am supposed to be studying engineering, and I enjoy the idea... but I probably won't do anything close to it when I'm done with the degree itself.

All I'm saying is - don't let uni make you someone you're clearly not. You're a good lad with a good head on your shoulders, what you do with your life should be your choice, not an institution's choice.

And I bet you're not a disappointment to your family mate. They're family for a reason, and family is much more than blood.
well said.

I just need to vent....

Just wanted to say something here before I head off; I work in education, I'm very committed to the positive effect it can have in both individual's lives, and society as a whole… having said that, it is also a double edged sword in that we start to define ourselves by our ability to pass or fail subjects/ exams, which (and I really don't want to sound glib and disparage how you're feeling), really isn't the point of education.

You can be incredibly intelligent and stress so much that you fail exams- that's not your failing, it's the arbitary system's failing. You can be a fabulous, emotional, empathetic person, who doesn't fit into the "academic" model- it doesn't mean you're less valuable as a human. When you're in the thick of it all, especiially comeing up to exams, it can be incredibly overwhelming (as it sounds like you are feeling), because uni is a struggle, but ultimately it's a small part of what makes you who you are, and people who matter don't value you for academic reasons.

One thing a therapist said which was revolutionary for me- because I also had been lurching from one thing to another with no purpose- was "how do you see your life?" Thinking about what I wanted my life to be, compared to how I thought it should be, or the pressures I or my family placed, was a big shift in my thinking.

My long winded way of trying to say, pass or fail, it doesn't matter in the long term. You can resit, or you can decide it's not for you. But it's your decision, and perhaps defining what you would like out of life might help you have a vision of the future beyond this?

(I apologise in advance if any of these sounds patronising, it's written with the best intentions)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back