Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Hello mate. University can be hard when you're under that sort of pressure. Luckily you are an Evertonian and your sense of humour will always get you through things. With regards to insomnia, I wish to provide some information about what I've recently learned. Drs in the UK are unwilling to get people using sleeping tablets long-term, they often say that people get addicted, or perhaps it's just the culture of this country. What I would recommend is you speak to your Dr about an anti-histamine (perhaps). These are used for other symptoms (such as hay fever) but in this country and others they are used to aid people with sleeping problems in the short term also. I used them while in hospital recently (they have no problem prescribing this long-term for these 'other' symptoms, unlike sleeping tablets) and they absolutely helped with sleep. My whole body felt better. I encourage you to, especially if you could be prescribed this for these other symptoms) to speak to your dr about your insomnia or lack of sleep pattern and please bring up anti-histamines. I appreciate you may not find this helpful immediately right now, but if you bring up to your dr, that you have this problem, and know sleeping tablets are not encouraged, it might help bringing up an anti-histamine to aid sleep, because sleeping tablets are only used as a short-term solution. hope this helps. keep the faith, and good luck with balancing all your studies. I had a period of taking them while hospitalised and they really helped. since being out, I have spoken to my dr about them, and they were prescribed without hesitation by the GP for the very reason of insomnia.

@Hibbertinho

I have also had some issues with insomnia in the past. Got short shift from most Drs as said by eternal defiance because sleeping pills are addictive and they are loath to prescribe them. Some appointments I got 'prescribed' lavender candles, malted milk drinks, hypnotherapy CDs etc. I was grateful for my national insurance contribution as you can imagine.

Perseverance was the key and while I didn't want to be medicated particularly, part of me felt that I needed a reset. Eventually got one doctor who was great and prescribed an anti depressant trazodone which can be used 'off label' for insomnia. Worked for me and managed to come off of it after about 6 months.

How are things now mate ?
Thank you!
Actually the person on the other end of the phone was pleasant and found a local resource. A new doctor appointment was made for Friday.
My significant other was pissed off and embarassed I called but then relieved they might actually get the help they need. She has been struggling to cope with every day events (dog peed on the carpet) but despite that knowledge she refused to take pills. Rather, the right kind of pills. Earlier this year she ate through 90 Vicodin (Hydrocodone) in 4 days.

Hopefully this new opportunity will get her on the right path to managing her levels.

Thank you!
Actually the person on the other end of the phone was pleasant and found a local resource. A new doctor appointment was made for Friday.
My significant other was pissed off and embarassed I called but then relieved they might actually get the help they need. She has been struggling to cope with every day events (dog peed on the carpet) but despite that knowledge she refused to take pills. Rather, the right kind of pills. Earlier this year she ate through 90 Vicodin (Hydrocodone) in 4 days.

Hopefully this new opportunity will get her on the right path to managing her levels.
Thanks for keeping us informed, we do worry you know. Glad to hear there is progress and good luck to you both.

Thank you!

Thanks for the update, how is she getting on with weaning herself off the prescription meds ?

Had my first call with a therapist this week, whilst I'm found a session with a " proper one", had to let it all out. Hope you find some peace of mind after all this.

Best wishes, and just as you were kind enough to offer me as I posted in this thread while trapped in hospital for so long, I offer you myself as your own personal therapist, if you ever need to talk I am here

I've been sent for psychiatric referral, so I will probably end up sitting my exams without attendance this time next year (if the uni accept my circumstances...). Bit of a relief to admit that I was a bit out of my depth but still waiting for the green light is a bit nerve-racking - the turnover for this kind of thing means I have to go in and sit all of the exams still.

@Hibbertinho

I have also had some issues with insomnia in the past. Got short shift from most Drs as said by eternal defiance because sleeping pills are addictive and they are loath to prescribe them. Some appointments I got 'prescribed' lavender candles, malted milk drinks, hypnotherapy CDs etc. I was grateful for my national insurance contribution as you can imagine.

Perseverance was the key and while I didn't want to be medicated particularly, part of me felt that I needed a reset. Eventually got one doctor who was great and prescribed an anti depressant trazodone which can be used 'off label' for insomnia. Worked for me and managed to come off of it after about 6 months.

I had the same issue, but then one day a dr just happily prescribed me the zopiclone over the phone - and all of a sudden people will prescribe me it a lot more readily, which isn't necessarily a good thing and still serves to highlight how much of a farce it all is.

But it does help 'reset' my 'body-clock', when things get a bit much. Just got stick with all the ways to possibly ameliorate sleeping pattern alongside it - exercise, getting out the house, lighting, tidying up the hovel every once in a while, etc.

Got my decree absolute through this week, which has released me from 2 years of hell with my ex. Thankfully she made me main carer for our daughter back in January, so now I am free of her and feel she has nothing to hold me at ransom with any longer (meaning our daughter).

I have been in a pretty dark place for a long time but can actually feel myself coming out of it. It affected my moods with everybody and I really have found it hard to enjoy myself properly, which has had a massive knock on effect with my family, as I have kept away from them for quite a while now as I didn't really feel they understood.

I feel the corner is turning and I am looking forward to a brighter future.

Got my decree absolute through this week, which has released me from 2 years of hell with my ex. Thankfully she made me main carer for our daughter back in January, so now I am free of her and feel she has nothing to hold me at ransom with any longer (meaning our daughter).

I have been in a pretty dark place for a long time but can actually feel myself coming out of it. It affected my moods with everybody and I really have found it hard to enjoy myself properly, which has had a massive knock on effect with my family, as I have kept away from them for quite a while now as I didn't really feel they understood.

I feel the corner is turning and I am looking forward to a brighter future.
That's it mate. Better times ahead.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back