Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

After a long time of reading the suggestion of many on here...I have finally rejoined a gym!

bike.gif

I've been sent for psychiatric referral, so I will probably end up sitting my exams without attendance this time next year (if the uni accept my circumstances...). Bit of a relief to admit that I was a bit out of my depth but still waiting for the green light is a bit nerve-racking - the turnover for this kind of thing means I have to go in and sit all of the exams still.

I had the same issue, but then one day a dr just happily prescribed me the zopiclone over the phone - and all of a sudden people will prescribe me it a lot more readily, which isn't necessarily a good thing and still serves to highlight how much of a farce it all is.

But it does help 'reset' my 'body-clock', when things get a bit much. Just got stick with all the ways to possibly ameliorate sleeping pattern alongside it - exercise, getting out the house, lighting, tidying up the hovel every once in a while, etc.

With regards to your insomnia mate. I've suffered for years as a result of my problems with anxiety. What I've found helps to an extent is making your bedroom " sleep friendly ".

No computer or electronic equipment left on.

Black out blind and decent curtains.

I also use a sleep mask, which tricks your body into thinking it's still dark.

Apologies if you know all this already !

Hello folks, I've got another update.

I interviewed for a job today and got it! Over the moon, it's exactly the sort of thing I think will suit me and the shift patterns are far better than they were in the previous place.

The bloke who interviewed me was a really sound bloke who made me feel comfortable straight away which I appreciated. Normally whenever I got to interviews I'm a big of nerves (like most people I guess) but I'm so bad I let it destroy my belief in myself and it normally comes across but today was different. The guy and me got a rapport going straight away and we had a good chat not just about the position as well but about the blues of all things and we enjoyed a giggle about the RS last night, hopefully it's a sign he's a good boss and I'll get on well with him. As I've said previously, the people in the last place were just downright horrible, miserable people and I was going like them. I became a complete wreck whilst working there and for too long was too scared to just walk away, I'm a timid person naturally but I became so beaten down and depressed that I finally came to understand what the phrase "I'm turning into somebody I really don't like" means.

The biggest lesson I've learned over the past few months is you've got to stand up for yourself, you've got to show people that you're not a walk-over or somebody then can treat however they like. The greatest feeling ever was telling them to stick it and over the past few weeks I haven't regretted it one bit and now with this new job I feel I can start my new chapter now (and I have a feeling this one is going to be FAR better).

To anyone else who feeling beaten down or like they're stuck in a miserable place, please don't lose faith in yourself. Things will get better if you show the bravery to face whatever problems you're having head on, don't let them (the inner demons) win!

tumblr_m1a714wRJr1rq4no1o2_250.gif

Hello folks, I've got another update.

I interviewed for a job today and got it! Over the moon, it's exactly the sort of thing I think will suit me and the shift patterns are far better than they were in the previous place.

The bloke who interviewed me was a really sound bloke who made me feel comfortable straight away which I appreciated. Normally whenever I got to interviews I'm a big of nerves (like most people I guess) but I'm so bad I let it destroy my belief in myself and it normally comes across but today was different. The guy and me got a rapport going straight away and we had a good chat not just about the position as well but about the blues of all things and we enjoyed a giggle about the RS last night, hopefully it's a sign he's a good boss and I'll get on well with him. As I've said previously, the people in the last place were just downright horrible, miserable people and I was going like them. I became a complete wreck whilst working there and for too long was too scared to just walk away, I'm a timid person naturally but I became so beaten down and depressed that I finally came to understand what the phrase "I'm turning into somebody I really don't like" means.

The biggest lesson I've learned over the past few months is you've got to stand up for yourself, you've got to show people that you're not a walk-over or somebody then can treat however they like. The greatest feeling ever was telling them to stick it and over the past few weeks I haven't regretted it one bit and now with this new job I feel I can start my new chapter now (and I have a feeling this one is going to be FAR better).

To anyone else who feeling beaten down or like they're stuck in a miserable place, please don't lose faith in yourself. Things will get better if you show the bravery to face whatever problems you're having head on, don't let them (the inner demons) win!

tumblr_m1a714wRJr1rq4no1o2_250.gif
Congrats mate, best of luck in the new job.

Yep, decree absolute, Martinez out and the neighbours were drubbed in a final.....think i'm on a roll! :)
Thank god for last night else i'd be a quivering wreck now. Just been a bad week all round feeling so empty, confused and down. I think It's trying to get my steroid balance right. did up it now I dropped down 1 so hopefully might get there, but it's a who cares mood i'm in at th moment but like you said Martinez gone and last nights result has kept me going. Finally getting to see oncologist tomorrow so maybe things might be a bit clearer I hope. Having a drink now because I don't care.:pint2:

Thank god for last night else i'd be a quivering wreck now. Just been a bad week all round feeling so empty, confused and down. I think It's trying to get my steroid balance right. did up it now I dropped down 1 so hopefully might get there, but it's a who cares mood i'm in at th moment but like you said Martinez gone and last nights result has kept me going. Finally getting to see oncologist tomorrow so maybe things might be a bit clearer I hope. Having a drink now because I don't care.:pint2:

Chin up mate, we will get there in the end X

having a bit of an very unexpected rough go of things atm. I had been in a bad patch for quite some time since the new year but managed to get a job interview about a month ago or so ago. I was nervous but very excited about it, the interview went well and I got the job. I thought managing to get a full time position in the field I studied in would be just the thing to give me a lift. However as the new employee orientation went on I got a bit concerned which is where some more back story comes in.

I have been dealing with depression since midway through highschool/(whatever is right before Uni in europe) and went to Uni with no idea what field I was looking to study but took a few psych classes early on and loved it, plus I felt I hated how I felt dealing with a mental illness so I thought it'd be good to go into that field and try to help others who are going through similar. That's where I think I've made a mistake.

The job I got was working at a psychiatric hospital and it seems to be a very poor fit considering my own issues. I feel massively anxious the entire time I'm there which is a feeling I've never had before (despite the long term depression I've never had any general anxiety). I talked to my supervisor and a guy from HR about it and they were understanding about it all (asking if there's anything they can do on their end) and were honest about it sometimes not being for everyone ( the HR guy actually studied psych as well but ended up doing HR for the city for a long time before coming to the hospital). They just said if my feeling of unease/anxiety is coming from personal issues that it's up to me to decide if it's something I can adjust to or overcome and to take my time and keep them updated.

I just don't know what to do as if I leave I'll basically be admitting I wasted 4 years. As of right now I'm planning to keep showing up for a week or so just to be certain it's not "new job/place" anxiety although I don't think is as I've had new unfamiliar jobs in the past and this is a totally different feeling.

having a bit of an very unexpected rough go of things atm. I had been in a bad patch for quite some time since the new year but managed to get a job interview about a month ago or so ago. I was nervous but very excited about it, the interview went well and I got the job. I thought managing to get a full time position in the field I studied in would be just the thing to give me a lift. However as the new employee orientation went on I got a bit concerned which is where some more back story comes in.

I have been dealing with depression since midway through highschool/(whatever is right before Uni in europe) and went to Uni with no idea what field I was looking to study but took a few psych classes early on and loved it, plus I felt I hated how I felt dealing with a mental illness so I thought it'd be good to go into that field and try to help others who are going through similar. That's where I think I've made a mistake.

The job I got was working at a psychiatric hospital and it seems to be a very poor fit considering my own issues. I feel massively anxious the entire time I'm there which is a feeling I've never had before (despite the long term depression I've never had any general anxiety). I talked to my supervisor and a guy from HR about it and they were understanding about it all (asking if there's anything they can do on their end) and were honest about it sometimes not being for everyone ( the HR guy actually studied psych as well but ended up doing HR for the city for a long time before coming to the hospital). They just said if my feeling of unease/anxiety is coming from personal issues that it's up to me to decide if it's something I can adjust to or overcome and to take my time and keep them updated.

I just don't know what to do as if I leave I'll basically be admitting I wasted 4 years. As of right now I'm planning to keep showing up for a week or so just to be certain it's not "new job/place" anxiety although I don't think is as I've had new unfamiliar jobs in the past and this is a totally different feeling.
hard to comment without knowing the cause of your early depression ( when you're ready) but job unsatisfactory is very common and can be an issue. I never lasted more than 5 years at a job lol but I understand you have underlying issues so feel free to discuss here if you want to, we are all so understanding and supportive and it will help you to get things off your mind that do niggle.

hard to comment without knowing the cause of your early depression ( when you're ready) but job unsatisfactory is very common and can be an issue. I never lasted more than 5 years at a job lol but I understand you have underlying issues so feel free to discuss here if you want to, we are all so understanding and supportive and it will help you to get things off your mind that do niggle.

I'm not entirely sure what causes my depression or started it back then. I went to individual and group therapy during my last year and a half of uni and it helped a bit, I think it might be a self esteem thing. The thing is it isn't that I don't like the job or am overwhelmed by it ( I've hated other jobs) just being the whole environment makes me massively anxious, who knows though haha

My long standing anxiety issues all come from my ex job - burnout.

These may seem obvious questions, so apologies if they sound patronising, they're not meant to be .

Is your job stressful, inc work environment

Do you work shifts ( hospital )

Do you get on with your work colleagues

Do you have a long drive into work

Are you doing a job that your over qualified for

Is everything ok at home

These are just a few things of the top of my head that I can think off mate, that combined could be causing the feelings of anxiety .

Anxiety can quite often creep in through the backdoor with people who suffer depression, as depression can mask it.

Could it be that as you've sorted out the depression, you've become aware of the presence of the anxiety ?

There's a UK forum that may be a good place to look at, it's run by our health service - NHS.

The Mental Health Forum.

There's whole threads on there that deal with anxiety mate.

Hope this helps ?

My long standing anxiety issues all come from my ex job - burnout.

These may seem obvious questions, so apologies if they sound patronising, they're not meant to be .

Is your job stressful, inc work environment

Is everything ok at home

These are just a few things of the top of my head that I can think off mate, that combined could be causing the feelings of anxiety .

Anxiety can quite often creep in through the backdoor with people who suffer depression, as depression can mask it.

Could it be that as you've sorted out the depression, you've become aware of the presence of the anxiety ?

There's a UK forum that may be a good place to look at, it's run by our health service - NHS.

The Mental Health Forum.

There's whole threads on there that deal with anxiety mate.

Hope this helps ?
cheers mate! I'll try to highlight and bold my answers in your post, it doesnt come off patronising at all. Also sadly I've not managed to sort out the depression yet either, although you may be right that I only noticed the depression and the anxiety creeped in. I think the whole hospital setting just freaks me out abit so I'm just worried it just might not be the thing for me you know?

Is your job stressful, inc work environment?
Sort of, it being a psychiatric hospital there is somewhat "high stakes" to every action but I'm really not stressed about the workload or overwhelmed by my responsibilities.

yes I work nights (11pm-7am), nights is mainly paperwork which isn't overwhelmingly difficult and I'm comfortable with that. (always been a night owl)

only been on the units for a few weeks but everyone is helpful and seem nice

about 35 minutes, which is what I used to do for school from when I was 6 to 18 haha
no I'm pretty much exactly qualified, my position is entry level health consuelor and I have a 4 year degree in psychology.
Is everything ok at home
Not exactly as we are moving and I'm not all that great with change.

I'm not entirely sure what causes my depression or started it back then. I went to individual and group therapy during my last year and a half of uni and it helped a bit, I think it might be a self esteem thing. The thing is it isn't that I don't like the job or am overwhelmed by it ( I've hated other jobs) just being the whole environment makes me massively anxious, who knows though haha

just going through the same problem with my wife. she has such a low opinion of herself and is struggling with work issues, taking everything personally, thinks they are using her, feels uncomfortable etc so I can understand what you may be going through

cheers mate! I'll try to highlight and bold my answers in your post, it doesnt come off patronising at all. Also sadly I've not managed to sort out the depression yet either, although you may be right that I only noticed the depression and the anxiety creeped in. I think the whole hospital setting just freaks me out abit so I'm just worried it just might not be the thing for me you know?

Is your job stressful, inc work environment?
Sort of, it being a psychiatric hospital there is somewhat "high stakes" to every action but I'm really not stressed about the workload or overwhelmed by by responsibility.

yes I work nights (11pm-7am), nights is mainly paperwork which isn't overwhelmingly difficult and I'm comfortable with that. (always been a night owl)

only been on the units for a few weeks but everyone is helpful and seem nice

about 35 minutes, which is what I used to do for school from when I was 6 to 18 haha
no I'm pretty much exactly qualified, my position is entry level health consuelor and I have a 4 year degree in psychology.
Is everything ok at home
Not exactly as we are moving and I'm not all that great with change.

Cheers mate, one of the things that I remember most that someone said to me about anxiety is " you become worried about bring worried " and eventually you're brain gets stuck in that programme.

Something is the trigger, it's finding it and dealing within it that's the hard part.

A naturally occurring steroid - Cortisol, can cause a lot of anxiety problems. It's normally released gently in the morining as part of the waking process, however under periods of extreme and prolonged stress it can be released in bucket loads as part of " fight or flight process " and your brain keeps on producing on excess every time your stressed .

You're probably aware of this with your job etc, but may be worth looking at to help you understand what's going on in your head ?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back