Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Cheers guys, to be clear though I'm not worried about whether there is a social stigma or not in today's world. I'm sure there is not and I'd guess a lot of that has to be due to the availability of information through the Internet/social media. I was first diagnosed as a 9 year old in the late 80s. At least where I live things were very different then, although in fairness a lot of the reasons why I never discussed with people was just being a kid who didn't want to be singled out for not being the same as everyone else. My folks to their credit didn't do much wrong that I can remember except getting divorced a few years later but that's a different story.

Today I'm more worried about the immediate impact on my life if it has returned, such as having my driving license revoked, not being able to work offshore etc. I'm hoping that the stress I'm under is distorting my perception and none of those things will come to pass.

Another thought, is that I have kicked smoking after 20 years and stopped taking champix for it at the end of April. Maybe my temporal lobe is just firing a heap of neurons in celebration much like Cowboys shoot their guns into the air in a western - just kidding obviously but quitting smoking / champix might really have an impact. Champix apparently lowers the seizure threshold.

View attachment 23901

What shouldn't be forgotten though is that even in today's more progressive world, it's a lot easier to discuss something here with strangers than sit down with people you know, even lifelong friends, and tell them stuff they don't know about you. I'm grateful for this thread for that reason as I'm sure so many others are. Plus if it's taught me anything, it's that people have to face far worse situations than I hope I ever have to - puts things into perspective.
We all have our own demons and battles to face mate,they are the most important coz if you cant fight them then you csnt help other people,dont think your bring petty or trivial about your mental or psychical health

Cheers guys, to be clear though I'm not worried about whether there is a social stigma or not in today's world. I'm sure there is not and I'd guess a lot of that has to be due to the availability of information through the Internet/social media. I was first diagnosed as a 9 year old in the late 80s. At least where I live things were very different then, although in fairness a lot of the reasons why I never discussed with people was just being a kid who didn't want to be singled out for not being the same as everyone else. My folks to their credit didn't do much wrong that I can remember except getting divorced a few years later but that's a different story.

Today I'm more worried about the immediate impact on my life if it has returned, such as having my driving license revoked, not being able to work offshore etc. I'm hoping that the stress I'm under is distorting my perception and none of those things will come to pass.

Another thought, is that I have kicked smoking after 20 years and stopped taking champix for it at the end of April. Maybe my temporal lobe is just firing a heap of neurons in celebration much like Cowboys shoot their guns into the air in a western - just kidding obviously but quitting smoking / champix might really have an impact. Champix apparently lowers the seizure threshold.

View attachment 23901

What shouldn't be forgotten though is that even in today's more progressive world, it's a lot easier to discuss something here with strangers than sit down with people you know, even lifelong friends, and tell them stuff they don't know about you. I'm grateful for this thread for that reason as I'm sure so many others are. Plus if it's taught me anything, it's that people have to face far worse situations than I hope I ever have to - puts things into perspective.

Thing is though mate you're surrounded by people with a lot of tolerance and understanding in this thread. As there is a lot of people who have also been there.

I continue to battle the nagging dark thoughts. I don't think the long weekend is helping. So I'm heading into the office tomorrow.

To be honest it'll keep my mind occupied. I had a good rest today. But I've a mind that needs to be kept occupied.

Luckily my career is a problem solving career. I get given problems. With a challenge to solve them.

It's that sort of activity that keeps me occupied and the dark thoughts away.

Will go into the supermarket first thing pick up some nice food. Then spend an interesting day doing some work.

What I'm saying is. Try and be adaptable as much as possible to give yourself a release from the monotony of depression. Try and stay positive. Or put a positive spin on things.

Thing is though mate you're surrounded by people with a lot of tolerance and understanding in this thread. As there is a lot of people who have also been there.

I continue to battle the nagging dark thoughts. I don't think the long weekend is helping. So I'm heading into the office tomorrow.

To be honest it'll keep my mind occupied. I had a good rest today. But I've a mind that needs to be kept occupied.

Luckily my career is a problem solving career. I get given problems. With a challenge to solve them.

Will go into the supermarket first thing pick up some nice food. Then spend an interesting day doing some work.

What I'm saying is. Try and be adaptable as much as possible to give yourself a release from the monotony of depression. Try and stay positive. Or put a positive spin on things.
Do whatever works for you mate.

Going into work would do the opposite for me, but then everyone is different.

Everybody is different but personally I also need to keep my mind occupied. I work in engineering so the technical side of the job like calculations or conceptual sketches work for me, the written parts such as reports, studies, proposals don't because my mind wanders off too much. I'm at home this week but I have an exam on Friday so my mind will be busy enough between now and then ;)

I'm positive enough generally, and this site does help. So does fresh air though, so i'm making sure that I take plenty small breaks from the revision and F5 frenzy on the manager thread to get outside for a bit.

Thanks and keep your chin up too!

Is it of a sheep?
welsh_sheep_land_of_the_sheep_postcard-rc1d11c11c1eb4aaf81b4a7af839283a0_vgbaq_8byvr_512.webp

What the f is going on? no one seems to want to help or taking the ps with your bigoted sheep and boyo remarks even the mods who are usually quite helpful seem to be ignoring me. just had enough now forget it

What the f is going on? no one seems to want to help or taking the ps with your bigoted sheep and boyo remarks even the mods who are usually quite helpful seem to be ignoring me. just had enough now forget it
Hey mate...what's going on?

Not ignoring anything mate, you ok?

Sorry you had to put up with unhelpful responses; like I said in my PM, I'm happy to try and help (for the avatar or if you just need to let off steam).

Friendly reminder to others here that this isn't really the space for jokey answers (at least, in my humble opinion), as we are all going through struggles and some days the 'joke' isn't funny.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back