Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

As I said yesterday I'm in a bad mental state, despite all the working out and stuff - being jobless for the last 3 months despite actively looking really knocks the air out of me, and I had to ask my folks for money, which was something I'd not done in about 3 years (have a loan to pay back obviously, and used to have a job somehow).

In that time a mate of mine came over and we moved house and it hasn't really gone as swimmingly, but that's to be expected I guess. But straight to the point - I just need somewhere to vent and the person who I love (and ache for because we won't be together for a long time, but that's a story for another time) isn't here for me now as her friends threw her a surprise party, and I don't want to put a dampener on that like... Thing I wanted to write about is going to sound really stupid to many, but I need to vent/share.

I have a dog, as a lot of you here know. As stupid as it sounds, my dog is like my kid. It makes me unbelievably sad that I have to leave him at the care of my grandparents at my house back home, and I'm at my happiest and relaxed when I go back and can just go out to the yard and pet or play with him, go out for a walk for a few hours with him just going anywhere, not really any target or place to reach or anything. For the last few months (since his birthday in February, for which I was back home so he got loads of treats hah) he's been on-again-off-again sick, like really badly. I took him to the vet, we sorted him out with some injections and stuff like that, turned out he had a serious case of the flu basically and he was fine...

Thing is, that's back with a vengeance - he no longer wants to eat or go for walks or do anything, barely even gets excited, and it seems he might be on his way to the great green fields in the sky, even though I dread the thought, because he even started dragging his legs when walking... I feel gutted, to say the least, to not even be there or close to him when he needs me and might... go. Feel like absolute crap for it.

Rant over, sorry to take it away from the more serious topic earlier, but needed to share.
rant away whatever the topic it's good to vent

I have a dog, as a lot of you here know. As stupid as it sounds, my dog is like my kid. It makes me unbelievably sad that I have to leave him at the care of my grandparents at my house back home, and I'm at my happiest and relaxed when I go back and can just go out to the yard and pet or play with him, go out for a walk for a few hours with him just going anywhere, not really any target or place to reach or anything. For the last few months (since his birthday in February, for which I was back home so he got loads of treats hah) he's been on-again-off-again sick, like really badly. I took him to the vet, we sorted him out with some injections and stuff like that, turned out he had a serious case of the flu basically and he was fine...

Thing is, that's back with a vengeance - he no longer wants to eat or go for walks or do anything, barely even gets excited, and it seems he might be on his way to the great green fields in the sky, even though I dread the thought, because he even started dragging his legs when walking... I feel gutted, to say the least, to not even be there or close to him when he needs me and might... go. Feel like absolute crap for it.

Rant over, sorry to take it away from the more serious topic earlier, but needed to share.
Doesn't sound stupid at all mate, lots of people feel the same way about their pets. Hope that the vet can figure out what is wrong with him again and get him feeling more like his old self x

Well that was a strange evening, had 4 g/kids running around and arrangements had to be made for g/daughter to spend time here. but I am so detached cant seem to understand what's going on

Hi all, I posted in here about my disengagement with uni and general ennui. Thought I might let those know who were interested that I'm considering taking a hiatus for a year to take a break and regain my drive and motivation.
Going to consider it more after exams are finished but in the process of talking to people I respect and trust about what they think.

Hi all, I posted in here about my disengagement with uni and general ennui. Thought I might let those know who were interested that I'm considering taking a hiatus for a year to take a break and regain my drive and motivation.
Going to consider it more after exams are finished but in the process of talking to people I respect and trust about what they think.
Not a bad idea at all Kiwi. ;)

As I said yesterday I'm in a bad mental state, despite all the working out and stuff - being jobless for the last 3 months despite actively looking really knocks the air out of me, and I had to ask my folks for money, which was something I'd not done in about 3 years (have a loan to pay back obviously, and used to have a job somehow).

In that time a mate of mine came over and we moved house and it hasn't really gone as swimmingly, but that's to be expected I guess. But straight to the point - I just need somewhere to vent and the person who I love (and ache for because we won't be together for a long time, but that's a story for another time) isn't here for me now as her friends threw her a surprise party, and I don't want to put a dampener on that like... Thing I wanted to write about is going to sound really stupid to many, but I need to vent/share.

How old is your dog mate and what breed is it ?

The reason I ask is that certain breeds seem to have a predisposition to certain things - for example German Shepherds have back leg problems.

If you haven't done it already go into the forum for the type of breed that your dog is, you'll get loads of help on there x

How old is your dog mate and what breed is it ?

The reason I ask is that certain breeds seem to have a predisposition to certain things - for example German Shepherds have back leg problems.

If you haven't done it already go into the forum for the type of breed that your dog is, you'll get loads of help on there x
I know he's predisposed to that, but he's been on a very good strict diet and also had zinc pills for a lot of his younger life (suggested by the vet), and that's been checked often cuz I'm a bit worried like that. He is a German Shep but only 6 years old, so the problems he has are baffling... hopefully the docs can sort him out again. :(

Might pop by there, but the problem with those is that I'm 3000km away from my doggo right now so... Thanks anyway! x

I know he's predisposed to that, but he's been on a very good strict diet and also had zinc pills for a lot of his younger life (suggested by the vet), and that's been checked often cuz I'm a bit worried like that. He is a German Shep but only 6 years old, so the problems he has are baffling... hopefully the docs can sort him out again. :(

Might pop by there, but the problem with those is that I'm 3000km away from my doggo right now so... Thanks anyway! x

You're right he's too young for German Shepard joint problems.

Does the area where he is walked have scrub, long grass, gorse, heather ?

If so he may have been bitten by a tick and contracted something called - Lyme Disease.

Have a look online, as the symptoms do fit ?.

One my mates uses Spaniels for hunting and one of them contracted it. The symptoms with yours are very similar, especially the leg dragging as it affects the kidneys.

Thanks for all the responses yesterday. Still feeling like crap but trying to make it through one second at a time. Being an Evertonian, despite living over 3,000 miles away in America, is one of the major things I draw strength from these days. My condition has also caused me to reflect on the lives of footballers, especially young footballers. People like Clarke Carlisle have really shone a light on the deadly cocktail of poor mental health and football and how it can lead you to make poor, and even destructive, life decisions. I hope Everton Football Club really look after their players, especially the youth players, and provide them with the resources to receive mental health assistance. It's probably more important than the physical training.

You're right he's too young for German Shepard joint problems.

Does the area where he is walked have scrub, long grass, gorse, heather ?

If so he may have been bitten by a tick and contracted something called - Lyme Disease.

Have a look online, as the symptoms do fit ?.

One my mates uses Spaniels for hunting and one of them contracted it. The symptoms with yours are very similar, especially the leg dragging as it affects the kidneys.
Just off Skype with my gran (his carer technically) - docs said he's really malnourished because of the heat, but it's suspected it's not just that. He's been given some injections because of the other symptoms and now he's on watch, so to say, but he's getting better. Apparently clear of diseases and the likes, which is somewhat a relief, unless it's something genetic (but it shouldn't be, as he's ridiculously purebred and I've seen both his mum and dad's passports and previous medical conditions and that) which would be harder to catch without proper scans etc...

Feel much calmer now...

Thanks for the help mate. Much appreciated, you're always a star in here!

Think after previous posts on here I made a significant gesture today. Considering how terrible I normally am with these things, hell ask my own mother or other half haha.

But after around 12 months after getting in touch for the first time I sent a father's day card up to my dad. I can't fault his effort, coming down to see me in jan, sending presents for the kids and keeping in touch. So for me to send a card up to him is a big gesture from me and a big step towards any relationship we will have in the future. It's easy to talk over the phone or WhatsApp but yeah, finally making that move on my side as well. Hopefully the gesture will be realised enough.
Well done mate. Not spoken to my own dad in almost 9 years so I know how it goes.

Here for you, mate. We all are.

Don't dump so much on yourself. Don't think about what you can't do, or change. Think about how much you've endured and are still plugging away.

That's how I've started to think.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back