Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Yes mate Ricky is a decent down to earth lad who, like Gazza found it hard to accept the fact he was past his best and basically forced to retire rather than be humiliated in the ring.
Transferring that to more common instances,as my retirement approaches I am more aware to how others react as they retire. I have noticed more and more how good colleagues are upset as retirement approaches and I know it will be no different for myself.
I really dislike my work these days as more pressure is piled upon you to produce the goods but it is the people I am going to miss and the day to day camaraderie, we have a large close knit, sociable crowd and I will miss the patter and humour of it all.

There's a thread where retirement is discussed, some really good points and advice on there mate - not sure its closed now, buy you can still look at all the posts.

The mistake a lot of people seem to make is not making any plans or preparing for it, hence why so many end up depressed .

Last edited:
Quiet on here today, hope that's because everyone is ok and not because everyone doesn't want to use the thread.
Not too good myself today, I don't seem to be able to concentrate on anything and think things are getting worse, maybe it's getting nearer I don't know.

Quiet on here today, hope that's because everyone is ok and not because everyone doesn't want to use the thread.
Not too good myself today, I don't seem to be able to concentrate on anything and think things are getting worse, maybe it's getting nearer I don't know.
Sorry to read you're not so good today mate, take care. I'm assuming everybody is busy like me posting things on Facebook about Wales's fantastic win - the lucky socksvare back working, but luck not needed yesterday!

An illustration of how many people, especially young ones, are lost to depression and anxiety.

Hopefully threads like these provide both help to those effected and awareness to those who aren't so people feel more willing to open up.

There's a thread where retirement is discussed, some really good points and advice on there mate - not sure its closed now, buy you can still look at all the posts.

The mistake a lot of people seem to make is not making any plans or preparing for it, hence why so many end up depressed .

Found out a few days ago that someone I vaguely knew from a work environment had died, probably as a suicide victim.
He'd recently been made redundant, and I know he had family problems before that. Now, I didn't know him well enough to say whether or not he'd previously suffered from depression, but changes in life circumstances can be hard to deal with sometimes, and it's not unusual for people to hide their problems.

I'm wittering on here, but, if you're lurking on this thread, and struggling, then talk to someone, family, friend, GP. stranger ... whatever, you're not unique, many people have been through the same thing, and someone will be able to help you.

Cheers mate, that's my thinking as well. I have looked into going out but the sheer cost makes it very difficult, looking at £800+ just for flights which I can't afford. Some way down the line we've agreed to look at meeting half way in Morocco or something... Much more affordable. And in regards to having the place to myself... *lounges on sofa in boxers, scratches balls*

It's true about idleness being the issue, at work and when seeing friends I'm fine... It's when you're alone in the flat doing nothing when it gets to you

You are right. This is it to a tee - make sure you make plans. Even if it's going for a walk, get a dog, borrow a dog. Walk a rock on a lead ffs. Don't let this [Poor language removed] win mate.
;)

You are right. This is it to a tee - make sure you make plans. Even if it's going for a walk, get a dog, borrow a dog. Walk a rock on a lead ffs. Don't let this [Poor language removed] win mate.
;)

Loving this idea

14e5rnd.gif

Yes mate Ricky is a decent down to earth lad who, like Gazza found it hard to accept the fact he was past his best and basically forced to retire rather than be humiliated in the ring.
Transferring that to more common instances,as my retirement approaches I am more aware to how others react as they retire. I have noticed more and more how good colleagues are upset as retirement approaches and I know it will be no different for myself.
I really dislike my work these days as more pressure is piled upon you to produce the goods but it is the people I am going to miss and the day to day camaraderie, we have a large close knit, sociable crowd and I will miss the patter and humour of it all.

been there;

What you going to do when you retire then? I was asked...and before I could answer - you know you've got to retire 'to' something not 'from' something. Which is on the surface 'good' advice...but, everybody is different and want/need different things to pass their time.

There's stuff you need to do
stuff you have to do and
stuff you want to do
also
stuff you don't want to do

If you have nothing to do - and it worries you, find something to do, if it isn't Important, make it important.

find a balance...and don't worry if doing absolutely nothing is what you want, aka pottering around, doing what you want when you want at a time that suits you not your ex bosses, total freedom to say - nah, don't wanna just now

Oh and exercise is good - but don't kill yourself over doing it.

bit of a waffle but it works for me.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back