Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I posted the link to this brilliant 2 minute short video on my LinkedIn profile the other day.

It's a reminder to us all that it takes only a few seconds of our time to show that we care and to check in with a colleague.

Produced by Crossrail and made available to anybody who wants to use it - one of a series on H&S at work. Well done Crossrail.

Can anybody recommend an anxiety and depression councillor preferably on the wirral, have registered with inclusion matters via a referral from my doctor but don't have my first telephone meeting with them until the 21st July, i feel i need help before then.
I hope my PM reply helped mate.

Guys, apologies if this is in the wrong place but I really need some advice on something that has been bothering me for a while. Nothing to do with me personally but part of the advice is whether I should actually do/say something.

If you will indulge me: In my last job I represented a member who was always on the sick. She had a horrendous upbringing, really bad emotional and physical abuse by her stepfather. As a result developed a compulsive eating order and she is huge- I mean really huge - so big that the little hopper buses wouldn't stop for her because she couldn't fit on them. About 7 years ago she took redundancy, I've always stayed in touch with her and call round every now and again to see her. I think I'm the only real life person she sees, her whole life is conducted via the Internet, she never goes out and family visitors are few and far between. At Christmas she stays in and her Mum visits and brings her a Christmas dinner on Boxing Day (which I think is really mean) She's always been an evangelical Christian, and I quite enjoy having a good old-fashioned religion and politics debate with her but just lately she seems to have come under the influence of one of these US evangelists. Her only income is benefits and she's given loads to him- apparently he said if you are overweight then you don't need to eat so hand over the money. He also preaches Word Of Faith which basically says the only reason people are sick is because their faith is not strong enough (tell that to Bradley Lowery's family) She is therefore also spending a fortune phoning prayer lines every time she gets a pain/cough/cold and tells me about the "healing testimony" I've googled this guy, he's worth $10m. My gut instinct is that he's a total charlatan and he preys on vulnerable people.

So here's my dilemma, do I say something to her and tell her that I think she's being fleeced or leave her to it. She has so many issues that it makes my blood boil to think that she is being taken advantage of.

Thanks

Guys, apologies if this is in the wrong place but I really need some advice on something that has been bothering me for a while. Nothing to do with me personally but part of the advice is whether I should actually do/say something.

If you will indulge me: In my last job I represented a member who was always on the sick. She had a horrendous upbringing, really bad emotional and physical abuse by her stepfather. As a result developed a compulsive eating order and she is huge- I mean really huge - so big that the little hopper buses wouldn't stop for her because she couldn't fit on them. About 7 years ago she took redundancy, I've always stayed in touch with her and call round every now and again to see her. I think I'm the only real life person she sees, her whole life is conducted via the Internet, she never goes out and family visitors are few and far between. At Christmas she stays in and her Mum visits and brings her a Christmas dinner on Boxing Day (which I think is really mean) She's always been an evangelical Christian, and I quite enjoy having a good old-fashioned religion and politics debate with her but just lately she seems to have come under the influence of one of these US evangelists. Her only income is benefits and she's given loads to him- apparently he said if you are overweight then you don't need to eat so hand over the money. He also preaches Word Of Faith which basically says the only reason people are sick is because their faith is not strong enough (tell that to Bradley Lowery's family) She is therefore also spending a fortune phoning prayer lines every time she gets a pain/cough/cold and tells me about the "healing testimony" I've googled this guy, he's worth $10m. My gut instinct is that he's a total charlatan and he preys on vulnerable people.

So here's my dilemma, do I say something to her and tell her that I think she's being fleeced or leave her to it. She has so many issues that it makes my blood boil to think that she is being taken advantage of.

Thanks

Trust your gut!

Thanks
Tell her,the man is a charlatan,taking advantage of people in a vunerable position in life,she might not listen but you cant sit by and watch him do things like that

Does anybody else just get no enjoyment from anything?

I've got a good job that I'm good at, allows me to buy good things, etc.
I'm going on holiday in a few weeks, anyone else would be excited, but I just don't care.

Happiness, for me, is a brief emotion that lasts a few minutes before the depression takes over again.

I find something that can help, but eventually the numbing affect wears off.

I think I'm starting to drive the people who did care for me away because I'm just so miserable.

At night, before I eventually wrestle my way to sleep, I just lay there thinking of everything that is bad. I end up crying myself to sleep most of the time. My only comfort being that it can't last forever, because I won't live forever.

I'm 24 years old, and I just don't see how things are going to work out okay for me.

If somebody told me that tomorrow would be my last day alive, I honestly would be relieved.

I'm going on holiday in a few weeks, anyone else would be excited, but I just don't care.

Happiness, for me, is a brief emotion that lasts a few minutes before the depression takes over again.

I think I'm starting to drive the people who did care for me away because I'm just so miserable.

At night, before I eventually wrestle my way to sleep, I just lay there thinking of everything that is bad. I end up crying myself to sleep most of the time. My only comfort being that it can't last forever, because I won't live forever.

I'm 24 years old, and I just don't see how things are going to work out okay for me.

If somebody told me that tomorrow would be my last day alive, I honestly would be relieved.

Your clearly mate a severe depression sufferer.( as a guess ) have you seen your gp and had a talk? That's the first step mate, talk about it to anyone who will listen. Your going through like a darkness mate but they're is a way out. Believe me and things can and do get better

Thanks

Try these people and be guided by them ?

Cultinformation.org.uk

It's a global network dedicated to helping people who have become involved with cults.

Do you have anyone close that you can talk to mate ?

Are taking any meds ?

What you describe is txt book depression.

It doesn't discriminate mate, rich or poor, young or old.

Your clearly mate a severe depression sufferer.( as a guess ) have you seen your gp and had a talk? That's the first step mate, talk about it to anyone who will listen. Your going through like a darkness mate but they're is a way out. Believe me and things can and do get better
Done all that, on quite a few occasions now.

The thing with therapy is, it can help, but it feels like it only helps for a short period of time afterwards.

My criticism of it is that after the final session,there is no follow-up in three or so months to see how everything is going. You're just expected to be cured.

My therapist even said that counselling isn't something that can be relied on forever. I feel like I'm going to need it forever.

I even do things like deliberately not wear a seatbelt when driving.

It's only my mum that keeps me going. She is one of the funniest, nicest people you could hope to meet. Her life doesn't deserve to be ruined because of me.

The thing with therapy is, it can help, but it feels like it only helps for a short period of time afterwards.

My criticism of it is that after the final session,there is no follow-up in three or so months to see how everything is going. You're just expected to be cured.

My therapist even said that counselling isn't something that can be relied on forever. I feel like I'm going to need it forever.

It's only my mum that keeps me going. She is one of the funniest, nicest people you could hope to meet. Her life doesn't deserve to be ruined because of me.
Are you currently on medication mate?

Does your mum know mate, why not tell her the way your feeling at they moment, I'm sure she'd want to help

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back