Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I've just had my appointment.

I've been prescribed Citalopram. It is the lowest dosage you can get of antidepressants, so hopefully my work's medical team will allow me to take it and carry on with my work duties.

She's also recommended I go back to counselling.

I'm actually quite annoyed with how she spoke to me, tbh. Not one bit of compassion, I was in the room for literally 5 minutes.

She said that is it not me following the techniques I was taught previously in counselling.

Mentioned not many people really know I'm gay. She said, should you not just come out then? Jesus Christ, what a miracle worker. I've never thought of doing that before...

She was a foreign doctor, from India, Pakistan, or somewhere in that region. I can't help but think that maybe sometimes, because they've lived in countries with severe poverty, they see people coming in with depression/anxiety and think it is First World problems.

I don't expect to be babied, but what just happened there is a joke.

I said, hopefully with the tablets not causing drowsiness, my work will allow me to take them. Her response: I just told you they don't.

I've been prescribed Citalopram. It is the lowest dosage you can get of antidepressants, so hopefully my work's medical team will allow me to take it and carry on with my work duties.

I'm actually quite annoyed with how she spoke to me, tbh. Not one bit of compassion, I was in the room for literally 5 minutes.

She said that is it not me following the techniques I was taught previously in counselling.

Mentioned not many people really know I'm gay. She said, should you not just come out then? Jesus Christ, what a miracle worker. I've never thought of doing that before...

She was a foreign doctor, from India, Pakistan, or somewhere in that region. I can't help but think that maybe sometimes, because they've lived in countries with severe poverty, they see people coming in with depression/anxiety and think it is First World problems.

I said, hopefully with the tablets not causing drowsiness, my work will allow me to take them. Her response: I just told you they don't.

100 % change your GP mate.

Irrelevant of what she's said or done, you have to have confidence and trust in your GP.

You're never going to have it with this lady.

I'm so annoyed. I didn't get much sleep last night because I had it planned what I wanted to say and I wanted to explain my situation. She couldn't have cared less.

The first GP I saw didn't even look at me during consultations mate and got me hooked on sedatives ( Benzos / another story ).

I didn't know that you could switch GP and when I found out I could I changed immediately.

The second GP I saw was wonderful, although he wouldn't criticise the first one, which did make me angry, as he was next to useless.

Change your GP immediately.

You'll probably find that the one you saw is like that with everyone and isn't popular with patients as a result.

The first GP I saw didn't even look at me during consultations mate and got me hooked on sedatives ( Benzos / another story ).

I didn't know that you could switch GP and when I found out I could I changed immediately.

The second GP I saw was wonderful, although he wouldn't criticise the first one, which did make me angry, as he was next to useless.

Change your GP immediately.

You'll probably find that the one you saw is like that with everyone and isn't popular with patients as a result.
I've always seen different doctors in my local surgery. I've went seeking help for depression/anxiety in February 2012, October 2015 and then again today. I've only ever had one OK doctor, the one in 2012. He suggested I had a drinking problem though, which I found ridiculous. I binge drink of a weekend, mostly to blackout levels, but I very rarely drink through the week. Only time is if Everton are playing.

Tbh, Access Sefton is self-referral, I don't have to see her again. I'm just so surprised by her lack of compassion. She wasn't even an old doctor, she was about 35. When I first seen her I thought she would have been really helpful, more so than an older doctor.

My only worry with the counselling now is that it's in the Stella Nova building in Bootle. It is where I was last year. I know I shouldn't, but I feel a bit ashamed to be going back to the same building. Also, I think maybe my counsellor last year thinks that I don't think she is good enough.

They used to do an outreach, a counsellor would come out to local GP surgeries, but the doctor today said that they don't do that anymore.

Good on you mate for going to the appointment buy I would urge you to try a different GP. I had a similar experience a few years ago and changed mine.

It really saddens me that a health care professional can have so little compassion.

I've always seen different doctors in my local surgery. I've went seeking help for depression/anxiety in February 2012, October 2015 and then again today. I've only ever had one OK doctor, the one in 2012. He suggested I had a drinking problem though, which I found ridiculous. I binge drink of a weekend, mostly to blackout levels, but I very rarely drink through the week. Only time is if Everton are playing.

Tbh, Access Sefton is self-referral, I don't have to see her again. I'm just so surprised by her lack of compassion. She wasn't even an old doctor, she was about 35. When I first seen her I thought she would have been really helpful, more so than an older doctor.

My only worry with the counselling now is that it's in the Stella Nova building in Bootle. It is where I was last year. I know I shouldn't, but I feel a bit ashamed to be going back to the same building. Also, I think maybe my counsellor last year thinks that I don't think she is good enough.

They used to do an outreach, a counsellor would come out to local GP surgeries, but the doctor today said that they don't do that anymore.

Your counsellor will not think that. If anything they'll be proud of you for not giving up.

I often have a distorted thought process similar to this. I've come to the conclusion that the anxiety lies to us.

My counsellor has helped me start to re-train my mind. Going to counselling is hard work but worth it.

Being brutally honest mate, the GP who said that you had a drink problem - drinking to blackout levels at the weekend is correct. They're duty bound to tell you the truth, but there's ways and means of telling it.

With regards to the many GPs you've seen, is there one in particular who you took to ?

If so, couid you not ask to see that one ?.

As @efcforever says, you're councillor won't think that's she's not good enough if you go back mate, recovery is an ongoing process and can take a long time.

Your counsellor will not think that. If anything they'll be proud of you for not giving up.

I often have a distorted thought process similar to this. I've come to the conclusion that the anxiety lies to us.

My counsellor has helped me start to re-train my mind. Going to counselling is hard work but worth it.
Being brutally honest mate, the GP who said that you had a drink problem - drinking to blackout levels at the weekend is correct. They're duty bound to tell you the truth, but there's ways and means of telling it.

With regards to the many GPs you've seen, is there one in particular who you took to ?

If so, couid you not ask to see that one ?.

As @efcforever says, you're councillor won't think that's she's not good enough if you go back mate, recovery is an ongoing process and can take a long time.
Thanks for the replies.

I definitely drink a lot on the weekends, but I'm a young man. I don't crave drinking through the week. I just go past 3 pints and that's it for me, I could drink until the morning.

It takes a lot of strength for somebody to actually go to a GP and admit they're struggling. I feel completely dismissed by that GP today.

I've had two women counsellors the both times I have been. They've been great, but I don't know if they truly get it, in hindsight. My last one actually hugged me when I'd been through a particularly bad week.

I don't know if it would be better to have a man as a counsellor. They could perhaps see the struggles from a better point-of-view.

If I requested that, though, then my previous counsellor would see me in the waiting room. The one I first had seen me in the waiting room last time, but that was 4 years on, she didn't recognise me. If that was me, I'd feel a bit annoyed.

Thanks for the replies.

I definitely drink a lot on the weekends, but I'm a young man. I don't crave drinking through the week. I just go past 3 pints and that's it for me, I could drink until the morning.

It takes a lot of strength for somebody to actually go to a GP and admit they're struggling. I feel completely dismissed by that GP today.

I've had two women counsellors the both times I have been. They've been great, but I don't know if they truly get it, in hindsight. My last one actually hugged me when I'd been through a particularly bad week.

I don't know if it would be better to have a man as a counsellor. They could perhaps see the struggles from a better point-of-view.

If I requested that, though, then my previous counsellor would see me in the waiting room. The one I first had seen me in the waiting room last time, but that was 4 years on, she didn't recognise me. If that was me, I'd feel a bit annoyed.

I agree that it takes great strength to visit the doctor over something like this.

I remember the first time I started experiencing difficulties with my mental health. I went to see the GP and told him that I was struggling, feeling sick with nerves every morning when I woke up and that I wasn't sleeping or eating well. His response; 'what do you want me to do about it?'. I'm serious that's what he said. Ridiculous!

I was devastated and ended up feeling like I had done something wrong in going to see the GP. I honestly don't know why some of them become doctors. Well I know it's for the money but you'd think they'd have other reasons too.

The GP I have now is amazing. I enjoy talking to him, he always puts me at ease and I always feel better when I come out.

Please try another GP mate. As far as your counsellor goes, I'm sure they won't take offence. They will understand how difficult it is to attend counselling and respect your choices.

Take care mate.

I've been on it mate. Used to give me bad tummy problems
If I miss a dose or go without for too long, I get cold turkey. Feeling sick, shivering, food cravings, and at night I get night sweats and horrible achy legs and I keep waking up. I remember missing a dose in Barcelona once and it was so horrible, I ended up buying overpriced shampoo from some swanky chemist cos I was so out of it and desperate to get back to the hostel.

The annoying thing is, it's the only thing that really works. My GP thinks I should go on Aripiprazole as well cos I have delusions - it's an anti-psychotic - but I'm not keen. Venlafaxine's also made me gain weight, as did Citalopram. Stupid meds.

If I miss a dose or go without for too long, I get cold turkey. Feeling sick, shivering, food cravings, and at night I get night sweats and horrible achy legs and I keep waking up. I remember missing a dose in Barcelona once and it was so horrible, I ended up buying overpriced shampoo from some swanky chemist cos I was so out of it and desperate to get back to the hostel.

The annoying thing is, it's the only thing that really works. My GP thinks I should go on Aripiprazole as well cos I have delusions - it's an anti-psychotic - but I'm not keen. Venlafaxine's also made me gain weight, as did Citalopram. Stupid meds.

I was on it for a while but I swapped it after a few years. I've been on albify mate ( aripiprazole ) and it was hideous for me obviously everyone is different on medications. But your gp as far as I'm aware shoudnt be trying you on that only a pysch ( I could be wrong like ) All my medications are through my pysch.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back