Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Great that you're doing better mate, really chuffed to hear that! I bet the water in between drinks helps with the hangovers too!

Keep going :) I'm doing well. Managed three straight months in full time work now- something I haven't managed since 2013!

Things can get better- they can get worse again too but worth focussing on those good times as they are worth it :)
That’s fantastic news, mate. Really happy for you. Hopefully things carry on upwards!

It’s really great seeing people’s progress through this thread.

Brilliant idea by @Groucho

Thanks everybody for your thoughts. I'm going to work through the CBT as best I can. I get fortnightly reviews and one to one face to face sessions are available at the end of it if I need them.
@GwladysBlue I promise I will have the conversation. I have gay friends, and his aunty lives with her girlfriend, so I don't get why he feels he can't talk to me about it. I want so much to have the bond we used to have, I really don't want to mess this up.

How long can someone survive without sleeping?

Not trying to sound flippant but I have genuinely only had a few hours sleep in the last few days. Partly down to having a cold I think, but it's weird. I'm just wide awake...

Luckily I work from home most of the time so can get away with it.

Not trying to sound flippant but I have genuinely only had a few hours sleep in the last few days. Partly down to having a cold I think, but it's weird. I'm just wide awake...

Not long. Everybody will be different but an absolute bare minimum of 4 hours a night is needed, and obviously more is better.

I’m sure it’ll pass though. Best thing is, is not to force it.

I haven't slept for more than 3 hours on a night since April, and at least 2 nights a week I don't sleep at all. I'm walking around like a zombie at times, but it's not killed me yet.

I believe that going to bed expecting not to sleep was a big cause in not being able to not sleep, so I'd definitely recommend doing anything to not think about it

Off the pills in the next week or so when they run out after being weaned off them by the doctor.

I feel great compared to this time last year.

Private CBT, exercise, this forum, talking to my wife/friends, lifestyle changes (mainly drink/coffee) and a new perspective on things has changed my life.

It can get better. But you must help yourself too.

I am no way remotely thinking this is the end of it; but looking back I am immensely proud of where I am today compared to last year.

No sleep at all and you'd be hallucinating and showing signs similar to dementia (apparently, don't quote me on the dementia there) after 10-11 days. Studies on rats show that they start dying (or nearly so) after about 25-30 though.

Doubt it's that severe, a few hours a night should be okay, but coupled with a cold are probably feeling like you're not sleeping at all. Get better soon xx

I don't function without sleep.

I've been on the pop all weekend (work xmas parties, the match and a birthday party) and I've had decent sleeps inbetween these nights (drunken sleeps albeit) and I'm absolutely exhausted today.

I can't wait to go home at 5 and get straight into bed.

I've had my world turned upside down.

Just over 3 weeks ago, on Sunday night I was going to bed and I got a sharp pain in my groin area, didn't feel good and when I went to the toilet I passed some blood. So we went straight to A&E. I'd been perfectly healthy before this, no symptoms of anything, I'm in my late 40's.

The Dr in A&E suspected kidney stones so sent me for a scan.....fast forward 2 hours and I'm being told I've got a very large kidney tumour and I was being admitted. My World collapsed the minute I heard the word.

A week later and they removed the kidney, which was so large it had to be done by open surgery. It looks like it's already spread though, and I now face a 6 week wait until I can have another scan. So I'm laid up in pain after major surgery and my head is all over the place. I've already written myself off I think. Broken, just broken.

Just over 3 weeks ago, on Sunday night I was going to bed and I got a sharp pain in my groin area, didn't feel good and when I went to the toilet I passed some blood. So we went straight to A&E. I'd been perfectly healthy before this, no symptoms of anything, I'm in my late 40's.

The Dr in A&E suspected kidney stones so sent me for a scan.....fast forward 2 hours and I'm being told I've got a very large kidney tumour and I was being admitted. My World collapsed the minute I heard the word.

A week later and they removed the kidney, which was so large it had to be done by open surgery. It looks like it's already spread though, and I now face a 6 week wait until I can have another scan. So I'm laid up in pain after major surgery and my head is all over the place. I've already written myself off I think. Broken, just broken.

So sorry to hear this mate. I can't imagine what you are going through. Keep us updated. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Please keep posting in here or PM me any time if you're stuck for someone to talk to.

When you say passed blood did you wee it?

Terrible news mate - keep positive and keep fighting.

When you say passed blood did you wee it?

Terrible news mate - keep positive and keep fighting.
Yes mate.

It's tough to stay positive tbh, but I know I have to try. I've got one of the best surgeons in his field looking after me, so that is a positive, but I'm a realist in life and I know the odds are crap, so I'm struggling to see beyond it

Yes mate.

It's tough to stay positive tbh, but I know I have to try. I've got one of the best surgeons in his field looking after me, so that is a positive, but I'm a realist in life and I know the odds are crap, so I'm struggling to see beyond it

Many people have been through the same and gone on to lead a long and happy life.

My thoughts are with you, and if you need anything at all (even if it's just to vent) post in here or even drop me a PM.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back