Do we now need a clear statement of intent from the new regime?

Do we need a clear statement from the club on our future?

• Yes

Votes: 230 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 73 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that, saved me from typing it, as I agree with every word, except the last sentence as I still have no clue about him.

The club don't have to do anything and nor should they, how would it go exactly? Would they act like Aston Villas new owner? Should they play down expectation?

It's utterly ridiculous to suggest that the owners are going to talk us through their game plan, their short and long term strategy.

Moshiri has been here 6 months, he's improved the squad, he's putting a new dress on the old lady, the new stadium issue is progressing and by far and away the best thing he has done is got shut of Martinez and his 'staff' and replaced them with Koeman.

That's a sign of the man and his aspirations, it was clear as day that he knew it was an issue that needed sorting and he did it, from that cringey interview post Chelsea and the look he gave Kenwright after his 'what a manager' line to the day he pulled the trigger, he then set out for his number 1 target and got him.

Did I mention we are 6 months in.

To all the pissypant bedwetters labelling the window as bad or any words on the negative side of it, because of yesterday. Give your heads a wobble.

It's been a solid window and the lack of a striker is the only real sour point.

Kenwright got 16 years, Martinez got 24 months of dross yet this guy is being questioned and having demands of transparency put upon him, inside 6 months? LOL

Get a grip.

The owners of the club should provide some indication as to what their plans are, otherwise we can only judge them by their actions, and so far all they have done is continued Kenwright's sell-to-buy strategy, and there hasn't been a single word muttered about any investment taking place.

The owners of the club should provide some indication as to what their plans are, otherwise we can only judge them by their actions, and so far all they have done is continued Kenwright's sell-to-buy strategy, and there hasn't been a single word muttered about any investment taking place.
So you're going down the phantom bid/s theory?

That's up to you mate, I'm offering up my thoughts, but we aren't going to agree.

That's not true at all anymore Dave. In fact with the level of the TV deals now they could essentially still operate with an empty stadium each match all season and still not make a loss.

Our impact on the balance sheet as fans has dwindled and whatever influence we had amongst the board has dwindled with it.
Well, we are nowhere near this point yet and we dont want to be there either, but if the new regime where proving to be a disaster they can hang on to their shares all they like and they can have a stadium full, but the damage done to reputation alone would be unthinkable for them.

As said, that ^^^ is not on the agenda or in anyone's minds - and it wont ever come to it, I expect. I'm just underlining the case for the concrete impact that moral ownership of a football club can have when owner-fan relations deteriorate.

I think we all know that the transfer window went west on us. There's no polishing this up to try and make it shine. Whether it was explicit or implicit, we were all left with the impression from the snippets the new guard left us that this would be a momentous summer in terms of player trading. And that's where this thread comes in.

The vision of where we are being taken by these people on and off the field remains very vague. There's been no attempt to spell out what the process is here; what the preferred running order is between squad investment and getting things right in terms of a new stadium and commercial improvements generally; what are the short to medium term objectives being set?

I've argued since Moshiri's arrival that we need a lot more detail from him regarding what is to come and what approximate timetable he is working to. If this had been done previously then the shock of the late summer inactivity in the market and the loss of confidence and credibility for him that goes with it could have been avoided. I dont see any lines of communication whatsoever being built up to bridge what the club are thinking and our understanding of it. The vacuum instead is filled by a narrative built up by the msm and well meaning bloggers which are repeated and become established as fact when they really are just wild speculation. Why should we have to put up with that communications hangover from the Kenwright era?

So, do we now need a big sit down between club and fans representatives or even Moshiri with a respected reporter for an in depth interview about what he's thinking?
I agree with all of this. The club need to show the fans a sense of direction, everything at the moment appears to be rumour and heresay. A positive statement of intent would also fuel the media coverage we're barely getting. If we have the wealth at our disposal as suggested, I'd expect a certain amount of posturing to take place, rather than what appears to be inertia.

Given the circumstances now after the transfer window, I'm in agreement with you Dave.

I have always suspected we'd get a statement tied in with the land purchase announcement and possible details of the new stadium but the precise timing of that is difficult to judge. At the latest I had expected that to be before the publication of the Annual accounts in early December, but I'm in agreement that it has to be earlier than that.

I'd like the statement to cover on and off-field activities addressing supporters, shareholders and the wider footballing world. We have a hugely powerful message to deliver in terms of what our progression off-field will be and naturally one would hope on field also. Not only would such a statement satisfy supporters desperate for news, it would provide a framework by which to judge the club's progress and most importantly be a statement of intent to our competitors.
For me the last part explains the silence. Why give people a stick to beat you with if your outline plans do not come to fruition for any of a myriad reasons beyond your control

It's a very well written first question @davek! I'm not jumping on any train here, but I think some questions were asked of us yesterday and I believe that some questions need answering. I'll not join the multitude ready to condemn them though. I think mistakes were made and they'll hopefully learn. We had some bad luck after all. But that's no excuse I guess. We were told it's a new era so things should be different right now. Let's not burn anyone at the stake just yet though. (Don't mean you personally btw).

Except the reports of us looking to put a stadium on the Bramley Moore docks like...

So you're going down the phantom bid/s theory?

That's up to you mate, I'm offering up my thoughts, but we aren't going to agree.

He's clearly a better owner than those Yank sharks who were interested in buying us, the same yanks that people were saying "Let them buy us and then see what they have to say before criticizing them". But it's looking like Moshiri's investment strategy is going to be a lot closer to Kenwright's no investment whatsoever strategy, rather than anything approaching the investment strategy seen at leading clubs.

The simple facts are that there has yet to be any investment, and we didn't start buying until we had sold Stones. There is also absolutely zero talk about how Moshiri is going to invest, he can't even invest through equity at present as he rather conveniently doesn't have enough control of the club and he would need authorisation from other shareholders.

We are six months in and there has been no indication whatsoever about their plans or strategy for the club at all. It's time they let us know what their intentions are, rather than just allowing us all to live in could cuckoo land about non-existent £100million pound transfer war chests.

you_want_the_truth_big_think.jpg

Well, we are nowhere near this point yet and we dont want to be there either, but if the new regime where proving to be a disaster they can hang on to their shares all they like and they can have a stadium full, but the damage done to reputation alone would be unthinkable for them.

As said, that ^^^ is not on the agenda or in anyone's minds - and it wont ever come to it, I expect. I'm just underlining the case for the concrete impact that moral ownership of a football club can have when owner-fan relations deteriorate.

I agree with you Dave, I'm just saying that we need to recognize that we have very little influence in the decision-making of our beloved club and it is the same everywhere as each year we contribute marginally less to the overall operating income of the club. We don't have much leverage to demand anything out of them as sad as it is.

Sacking Martinez paying 7m for Koeman and prizing the current champions head of recruitment from them are all fairly big statements I would have thought.

Transfer window was fair to middling but targeting the like of Mata etc, regardless of whether we managed to get them is a step above where we've been aiming for the last few years.

It's going to take a lot more time to put is where we belong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back