Do we now need a clear statement of intent from the new regime?

Do we need a clear statement from the club on our future?

• Yes

Votes: 230 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 73 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Different culture mate.

If we'd spent 40 or 50 million yesterday then no-one would bat an eyelid about the lack of communication.

If that was followed up by a brief statement on the plans for a stadium saying what's ( presumably ) already been achieved and some words on what might happen next then we'd all be happy bunnies.

I do agree with your basic point though, it's very easy to cause distrust by not communicating effectively.
Think it'll hold us back, if I'm honest. Not suggesting it's a bad thing, necessarily, but I do think it will harm us in our quest to become as 'big' as City, Utd, Chelsea, etc - the global brands.

I realize we might not care if the club had spent £40-50 million yesterday and not a word was said. But wouldn't it be better if they spent £40-50 million and engaged the supporters and make it actually feel like a family? And then when the spending doesn't come off, they still can engage the support and hope that the support understand who the leadership is, where it's coming from, the fact that they have our best interests at heart?

As supporters we'd still be disappointed, but perhaps not as furious with the club, but moreso commiserating with them? On their side? Obviously there will always be some that don't respond, but it's a risky decision to assume things will come off without a hitch and the support will be excited and happy.

I understand that secrecy is important, and certainly don't expect them to give us a blow-by-blow on their unfinished plans and prototypes, but I am honestly struggling to see, with my totally non-ITK eyes, how Moshiri is functionally different than Kenwright yet (although I continue to hope and believe he is, of course, I also know I have very little evidence).

I'd tweak that a bit as follows.

"Be more open. Keep us informed. If you don't then you can only be judged by actions verifiable in the public domain. Even if you're confident that your actions will speak louder than words, communicating with the fanbase regularly can do no harm"
As said mate, fill the vacuum or have it filled for you.

I notice Paul Joyce tonight attempting to account for the shambles. If the club are putting friendly journos out like this to put up a hard luck story on transfers they're going exactly the wrong way about it. They need to back heel that and step out of the shadows and address their fan base.

i feel the clearest statement that indicative of positive change would be the departure of kenwright and elstone. Not even diminished roles, straight jettison the rubbish

I have wondered a bit about the idea that 'actions speak louder than words'. I mean...not really? Maybe it's a cultural thing, or maybe it's a football thing (it certainly is among some sectors of the fanbase), but it seems to me that the club should be all on a single, lockstepped message to raise brand recognition and customer satisfaction.

Currently it seems our messaging is, 'Big things will happen at some point, maybe, but you probably didn't hear it officially.' It breeds distrust and, when days go like yesterday, contempt.

I think the loss of Alan Meyers did terrible damage to EFC, the have been secretive and unapproachable since he was sacked.

I've always felt our marketing department was incredibly weak, and it certainly does not seem like Moshiri has addressed that yet. A good marketing department proactively deals with this kind of thing and can keep people happy even during troubled waters. Presently, troubled waters make the support feel like it may be a hurricane, because we have absolutely no guidance, no assurances, and no communication with the club.

The actions are louder than words approach was a shot at the moon - to work everything has to go to plan.
What really breeds distrust is the media saying we're going to do all these things, then us not doing them and then the media saying the club made no promises.

The club really couldn't have made a bigger mess of this if they tried.

It's trolling levels good.

Even Joe Anderson was at with him wink and a nod - then later the club coming out and distancing themselves from it.

You do have to wonder what is going on.

As said mate, fill the vacuum or have it filled for you.

I notice Paul Joyce tonight attempting to account for the shambles. If the club are putting friendly journos out like this to put up a hard luck story on transfers they're going exactly the wrong way about it. They need to back heel that and step out of the shadows and address their fan base.

Kirkbride was at it earlier too. Making out that yesterday couldn't be used to "distract from an otherwise successful window".

There will be more of this. Conceding deadline day was a disaster but only doing so by stating the rest of the window was positive as if it were a statement go fact. Then having established the dubious fact attempting to undermine those criticising deadline day as those trying to damage the club and this silence them.

Dave,
Agree with all you say.
This is not about us demanding to know what is said at board meetings, nor do we care what is written in private contracts and agreements.This is a private company, and so of course, we have no right of passage through any of its private internal workings. We are, however, the club's/company's most valued customers (yes, you could argue TV networks would be considered more important to them than we are - but then, who are the network subscribers?). So, as a valuable part of this whole process, we should expect some respect from the club/LLC we support. Respect means, we are acknowledged, we exist, we are a part of the whole, and therefore we have at least earned the right to some kind of reassurances and statements of intent from the owner. No BS, no default replies, no lying. Just the facts. They could answer simple questions like: Did the transfer window go as they had planned, or were they as deeply disappointed as the fan base? Did they actually go for the rumoured targets? What realistic goals do they have for this season? Are we still on course for a stadium? What is the time frame for the stadium? Who is calling the shots? etc...

Without such dialogue from the club, we are left with a barrage of speculation that, in this fast moving world of social media, can end up hurting the very club that we love.

I think we all know that the transfer window went west on us. There's no polishing this up to try and make it shine. Whether it was explicit or implicit, we were all left with the impression from the snippets the new guard left us that this would be a momentous summer in terms of player trading. And that's where this thread comes in.

The vision of where we are being taken by these people on and off the field remains very vague. There's been no attempt to spell out what the process is here; what the preferred running order is between squad investment and getting things right in terms of a new stadium and commercial improvements generally; what are the short to medium term objectives being set?

I've argued since Moshiri's arrival that we need a lot more detail from him regarding what is to come and what approximate timetable he is working to. If this had been done previously then the shock of the late summer inactivity in the market and the loss of confidence and credibility for him that goes with it could have been avoided. I dont see any lines of communication whatsoever being built up to bridge what the club are thinking and our understanding of it. The vacuum instead is filled by a narrative built up by the msm and well meaning bloggers which are repeated and become established as fact when they really are just wild speculation. Why should we have to put up with that communications hangover from the Kenwright era?

So, do we now need a big sit down between club and fans representatives or even Moshiri with a respected reporter for an in depth interview about what he's thinking?
I think he should get in the Street End leading a chorus of 'were gonna win the league.'
We have just improved the team over summer, new manager as good as you could hope for and new premises on the way. Until we have rebuilt the profile we are not going to be preferred by players to more glam locations and teams. It needs time.

I partly agree with this. On one hand, I think much of the time he SHOULD be silent on things. Most fans can pretend they want the truth, but cant handle the actual reality of being updated on the ongoings of the club. Heads would be falling off left and right. Can you imagine the fume if people heard, for example, that we had an attempt at buying land rejected, then made progress, then rejected again, then agreed, then had the council say it wont work, etc, up until its actually completed. In any business there are a constant stream of set backs you have to navigate to get to the end product, and most people dont have the character to handle it. Instead they are much saner if kept in the dark until the final resolution is reached.

There is also a lot of truth to certain things you need to keep private as a business. He cant reveal confidential information, or anything he doesnt have permission from the other shareholders on. Everton also should not reveal information on who their transfer targets are, as it gives ammo to other clubs. They also dont want to reveal information on the land they are trying to buy, until its purchased, to avoid allowing sellers to jack up the price.

That said, with the window closed, and the need to really lift spirits with a statement of intent, I do think now is the time to do that, to, once they have land purchased and an artist rendition of the new stadium(because people are visual), they should reveal it all, and he should reveal his plan for the future of the club.

If Rom is banging in goals and doesn't get hurt we'll be fine. The defense looks sorted and we don't have a mistake prone CB partnered with a mistake prone CB (Stones-Mori) flanked by a LB/RB who are way to far upfield. Gana, Holgate and Stek all look good. We have pace to play counter against sides who will play a high line against us like Spurs and Liverpool. We have wingers who can also chip in with goals (Gerard, Kev) and wingers who can cross (Bolasie) who can also help Rom out.

For all the whinging about Kone and Valencia, I've always thought Valencia looked decent at WH and Kone has started the season pretty well. Plus Sissoko sucks and him not coming here is addition by substraction, we are better off going after a PO'ed Demeble in the spring.
Shame on you for trying to be positive. The usual hordes will soon be hunting you down..

Unless there is some large commercial sensitivity in the background then it is absolutely time to tell the Everton Staff and Players what's going on. It would also be nice if they told their fellow shareholders and customers exactly what the plan is........

I bet you that shitbag Moshiri buys us a new stadium on the docks and spends about 100 million in the January window just out of spite now,
you watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back