Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Do we really have £100 million to spend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just short of £87 million for his 49.9% - that's the only figure in the public domain. Since he has put funds into the club for working capital purposes, that has not been acknowledged by the club or him but is the case.

Well only our published accounts will prove that to be correct.

Im not saying we wont spend money, im just saying that currently, "from the outside", we have seen little "investment" as yet.

What I do hope is that alternatives to the established targets (AW / KK/ WC /JM) are being pursued as we have no idea whether all, any, or none of them will sign for us.

The aim should be to get 5-7 players in before the end of the window or sooner that are an improvement on what we have. Admittedly that's a very wide definition and you buy the best you can get but there must be a medium between the likes of Witsel who clearly does not want to join us, and players that are better than what we currently have that do?

There was talk on here earlier in the summer in the context of signing players in their late 20s/early 30s with the justification being that Moshiri was looking for success now/earlier than we might have expected through buying established players at their peak, maybe a better strategy would be to sign the best younger players and add them to the best from our academy? Big signings are great, but I don't mind bringing in less high-profile signings who will improve and peak in seasons to come. Ideally we should be looking at signings across the age/experience profile, for me there has been too much fixation with Witsel and others. Fantastic if we get them, and if we don't - nearly never won a race.

For a club that has finished 11th two seasons running and has played European football to no great degree in just a handful of seasons since our heyday in the 80s, we are clearly seeing that our name doesn't count for a huge amount at the moment, other than the sort of patronising platitudes that have been thrown at us for years. Personally I admit I have been taken aback by how difficult it is proving. The modern transfer market is indeed complex and full of sharks and backstabbers. We have no experience of swimming in those waters.

I'm not saying we need to reign in our ambitions, not at all, but there has to be a "Plan B" that comes into operation at some point before the close of the window. It concerns me that what should be a period of huge hope and promise for the club over the next few years in particular will otherwise fall victim to the short-termism that is rampant in modern football. I am very hopeful for the future, but we need to build on what has already been achieved so far by ensuring the squad is adequately reinforced in the next few weeks. It is folly to suggest that we don't need it.

Well only our published accounts will prove that to be correct.

Im not saying we wont spend money, im just saying that currently, "from the outside", we have seen little "investment" as yet.

I think that's a fair comment, hopefully in the next week, or certainly 3 weeks that can be put to bed.

I think that's a fair comment, hopefully in the next week, or certainly 3 weeks that can be put to bed.

It's already too late though for this season. The chance to "make a statement" has completely gone, so we're stuck with a season of transition now, even if on deadline day we bring in three £30m players.

Let's call it what it is now - a complete shambles of a pre-season.

If Kenwright and Woods sold their shares to Moshiri for a massive profit ( as reported) then surely they both have a few quid to chuck into the transfer pot.

There is no doubt that Everton have some money, if not the amounts reported.

The lack of signings therefore appears to be as a result of incompetence.

I'm not blaming Koeman, I blame the people or persons responsible for securing the players Ronald has identified.

i have 100mil on paper. its just when your card keeps getting declined..... moshri may/may not have the money but his spending so far suggets the latter. gaping holes in he team need addressing but based on the past few months it aint looking good. considering the tv money what new funds has moshri actually invested.

We haven't actually missed out on anyone have we, the players I've read about are still with their clubs and haven't been sold to anyone, or they have used us to get new contracts with more money.

A sensible post amongst a sea of kneejerking moaning. Nail. Head. ;)

It's already too late though for this season. The chance to "make a statement" has completely gone, so we're stuck with a season of transition now, even if on deadline day we bring in three £30m players.

Let's call it what it is now - a complete shambles of a pre-season.

The players we are after, high profile across Europe, not quite superstars but established internationals with CL credentials have multiple options. Our strategy to date has been to out bid competing clubs in terms of the transfer fee and to be competitive (ie in line with market rates with a moderate premium) on wages. Wages are our biggest issue because of STCC. Now the clubs are attracted to selling to us because we are offering more than others. The players on the other hand know (or their agents know to be more accurate) that as the window closure approaches it becomes a sellers market - ie is loaded in favour of the players.

That's the market we are operating in. Until the club becomes attractive in its own right by winning trophies and qualifying for the CL on a regular basis that's going to be an issue. It is perhaps one of the reasons Walsh has been brought in to work his magic in lesser known markets. However for this window this is where we are. We were slightly unlucky in that Witsel so very nearly joined before introducing different demands, and in the case of one other target, the selling club changing its mind.

If Kenwright and Woods sold their shares to Moshiri for a massive profit ( as reported) then surely they both have a few quid to chuck into the transfer pot.

There is no doubt that Everton have some money, if not the amounts reported.

The lack of signings therefore appears to be as a result of incompetence.

I'm not blaming Koeman, I blame the people or persons responsible for securing the players Ronald has identified.

I think there are many reasons for the lack of signings, the main being that Koeman will have wanted to look at what he had before rushing to buy. However I get the impression the big names we want simply don't want to come here and or we arnt prepared to pay the prices quoted and the wages needed. (Possibly why linked with top players early summer and now the names being linked don't see as high profile)

The players we are after, high profile across Europe, not quite superstars but established internationals with CL credentials have multiple options. Our strategy to date has been to out bid competing clubs in terms of the transfer fee and to be competitive (ie in line with market rates with a moderate premium) on wages. Wages are our biggest issue because of STCC. Now the clubs are attracted to selling to us because we are offering more than others. The players on the other hand know (or their agents know to be more accurate) that as the window closure approaches it becomes a sellers market - ie is loaded in favour of the players.

That's the market we are operating in. Until the club becomes attractive in its own right by winning trophies and qualifying for the CL on a regular basis that's going to be an issue. It is perhaps one of the reasons Walsh has been brought in to work his magic in lesser known markets. However for this window this is where we are. We were slightly unlucky in that Witsel so very nearly joined before introducing different demands, and in the case of one other target, the selling club changing its mind.

Sounds like the club has significantly lowered it's ambition for the season to be honest. Very poor that they haven't been able to sell the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back