2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the potential of DCL, but maybe I'm football blind. Yesterday I think he gave the VVD a good fight, and should have had a penalty kick, as well as a red card for VVD. Then the match would have been completely different. He is one of PL's fastest players, wins the most arial duels of all strikers in PL, and has a good work ethic. Unfortunately, he is no natural finisher, but pair him up with Richarlison and Kean, and together they will create problems for most PL teams.

This all day. Last night he was up against arguably the best defender in the world and a world cup finalist from last year, on his own. As a team we move the ball so slowly, it's no wonder people can't make runs in behind or in to space. The current team are deploying a striker, completely isolating him, asking him to do loads of work off the ball and then score goals when he gets it. Maybe only Ronaldo R9 could have done that. It's an impossible job. People shouting for Kean to play instead, he's shown nothing to suggest he can do that role either. Perhaps if they set the team up to actually support the striker and try and create something, then maybe we'll start to see some goals from them as well.

It’s hard. The lad seems to love EFC as much as a player who wasn’t a supporter as a kid can. He seems a good guy and he has bags of pace.

I don’t think he is a ST though or not one that can play up front on his own. For me his best game last season was v Arsenal at Goodison. He made the two CB for Arsenal look awful he moved them about everywhere. He didn’t score that day but the space he created for others was excellent.

He isn’t good enough to start but I would say he is worthily of a squad place.

That's a point. I have no good explanation, but one thesis may be that things are going too slowly with us in the transition phase. You have maybe 1-3 seconds before the opponent is in balance. We are struggling to take advantage of this

Yeah I know what you mean but he’s not very quick on the turn and doesn’t really have good acceleration over 5-10 yards. That’s where pace usually most effective. He probably runs the 100m in 10.5 secs or something like that but he never seems to pull clear of a defender, go past people, latch on to loose balls, Harry a defender into mistakes , get his toe on the ball and win free kicks . He just doesn’t seem any of the things that quick players seem to get. He doesn’t look quick if that makes sense. Bernard looks a lot quicker than him and probably isn’t , he nips in front of people , closes space down etc lewin just doesn’t seem to get any reward that most paced players get.

I have said this all season we could have Dixie Dean up there , and he would struggle- how long did we sell Lukaku ago without replacing him with like for like?........
Its a ruddy midfield we need the under 23s must have better than Snides and the Sig FGS......
they are too slow......

I have said this all season we could have Dixie Dean up there , and he would struggle- how long did we sell Lukaku ago without replacing him with like for like?........
Its a ruddy midfield we need the under 23s must have better than Snides and the Sig FGS......
they are too slow......
Our midfield does stink but DCL also had a 1v1 last night after a great pass from Iwobi and if you paused it and took a poll everyone would have said he'd miss and he did that. Kean or Richarlison probably take that and it's 2-2.

Our midfield does stink but DCL also had a 1v1 last night after a great pass from Iwobi and if you paused it and took a poll everyone would have said he'd miss and he did that. Kean or Richarlison probably take that and it's 2-2.
MOTD felt it was a pen and VVD should have seen red blatant pen scythed down as he was going to score even Danny Murphy agreed.....

Hopefully one of the first acts of the next manager is to send young Dominic back to the lower leagues. Being our (trying to not laugh here) top striker for four consecutive managers has seriously damaged his potential. He's displayed very clearly a serious lack of improvement, and now no big club will look at him. After us he'll find a place with a lower end Championship team and that's where he'll stay. Awful player.

The same Kean who missed the target from a relatively easy chance in the second half? The one who has yet to score but seems to get better with every game he doesn't play? That Kean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back