2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch the end of MOTD ,...he was taken out just about to score watch it blatant pen red card they say that ok.....
To be honest I thought DCL was looking for it. If he goes to goal with the thought of getting off a shot instead of trying to absorb contact perhaps we're at 2-2 there. To the orignal poster's point if that were Mina I'd have been angry that a pen was given. It was more of a coming together for me.

But I can see the other viewpoint.

It’s hard. The lad seems to love EFC as much as a player who wasn’t a supporter as a kid can. He seems a good guy and he has bags of pace.

I don’t think he is a ST though or not one that can play up front on his own. For me his best game last season was v Arsenal at Goodison. He made the two CB for Arsenal look awful he moved them about everywhere. He didn’t score that day but the space he created for others was excellent.

He isn’t good enough to start but I would say he is worthily of a squad place.

?

Did you mean to post this in a different thread mate?

Our midfield does stink but DCL also had a 1v1 last night after a great pass from Iwobi and if you paused it and took a poll everyone would have said he'd miss and he did that. Kean or Richarlison probably take that and it's 2-2.
It could have been. But I'd be pissed if we got Mina sent off for that. It wasn't that blatant.
it is a crystal clear penalty and the consequence is a red card according to the rules. No need to overthink, just follow the rules.

He's another Jack Rodwell.

Because he looks the part he gets chance after chance but like Rodwell lacks the requisite street fighter attitude which is sooooooo weird given big Dunc is on the staff.

He is the epitome of the difference between us and the RS they simply wouldn't tolerate such mediocrity for so long

To be honest I thought DCL was looking for it. If he goes to goal with the thought of getting off a shot instead of trying to absorb contact perhaps we're at 2-2 there. To the orignal poster's point if that were Mina I'd have been angry that a pen was given. It was more of a coming together for me.

But I can see the other viewpoint.
He got chopped down end of ..... Atkinson the VAR ref obviously blind ....

it is a crystal clear penalty and the consequence is a red card according to the rules. No need to overthink, just follow the rules.
It really isnt that crystal clear because football long ago stopped refereeing according to the rules and based on how it is played in practice that isn't 100% a penalty. That's a conversation for a different thread but let's not act like anything is called according to the laws.

I thought those rules had changes that it wouldn’t be a red card unless no attempt was made to play the ball, which I don’t think you could say was the case easily.

I think it was a pen, but not surprised in the least it wasn’t given after Dean didn’t award it, but can’t see how it’s a pen and a red.

The same Kean who missed the target from a relatively easy chance in the second half? The one who has yet to score but seems to get better with every game he doesn't play? That Kean?
It’s absolutely no surprise he missed it. He’s running on fumes in the confidence stakes, and understandably.

But he looks a million times better than DCL as a long term prospect.

I don’t expect he’ll become the player he can be while he’s here though. Hopefully a new manager can give him the boost he needs, but it feels unlikely now.

He's another Jack Rodwell.

Because he looks the part he gets chance after chance but like Rodwell lacks the requisite street fighter attitude which is sooooooo weird given big Dunc is on the staff.

He is the epitome of the difference between us and the RS they simply wouldn't tolerate such mediocrity for so long
They’d sell him to Bournemouth for a squillion quid.

It really isnt that crystal clear because football long ago stopped refereeing according to the rules and based on how it is played in practice that isn't 100% a penalty. That's a conversation for a different thread but let's not act like anything is called according to the laws.

It’s absolutely no surprise he missed it. He’s running on fumes in the confidence stakes, and understandably.

But he looks a million times better than DCL as a long term prospect.

I don’t expect he’ll become the player he can be while he’s here though. Hopefully a new manager can give him the boost he needs, but it feels unlikely now.

He scored 2 last week on International duty, he's a professional football waiting for his chance, if his confidence is that fragile then perhaps he's not as good as people think.

In what sense does he look a million times better than DCL? If he had a similar work-rate off the pitch (as DCL) he'd have been in the team by now. And it's generally that work ethic off the pitch that sees players improve.

I want Kean to do well, and it'd be great if he became a superstar for us, but the way people elevate players who don't play above people who do just baffles me.

He scored 2 last week on International duty, he's a professional football waiting for his chance, if his confidence is that fragile then perhaps he's not as good as people think.

In what sense does he look a million times better than DCL? If he had a similar work-rate off the pitch (as DCL) he'd have been in the team by now.

I want Kean to do well, and it'd be great if he became a superstar for us, but the way people elevate players who don't play above people who do just baffles me.
Maybe you’re right, and maybe it’s just that I want to see what we thought we were getting, but my million times comment was “as a long term prospect” and his two goals for Italy count towards that.

Honestly, I think DCL is a championship level player, at most.

Is he better than Branch or Jevons were? I’m gonna say no.

Edit: and maybe if he could spend some time not on his backside he might’ve got the penalty decision yesterday. For a big strong lad he’s on the floor way too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back