2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I note that Silva claims that Kean hadn't "shown in training" that he was ready to start, or something along those lines. So either he's selecting purely off training and is disregarding actual on-pitch performances, he's completely unimpressed with what he's seen from Kean, or he hasn't got a clue.

The thing is, DCL is proving himself - on a weekly basis - to be absolutely appalling in that position he's asked to play in. It's not his fault, he doesn't pick himself, but it's really hurting the club. Would Tosun be that much worse?

I mean, to not even try something else as the manager is pretty disgraceful. At least put Richarlison there and start Walcott out wide, that'd be the lesser of two evils (starting Walcott vs starting DCL).

Surely that open goal miss is the straw which broke the camel's back. He simply needs to be dropped, and there is no better time to start Kean than tomorrow. Give him 45 minutes, hope the game is won by the hour mark then give him a rest and get him ready for the next game.

DCL should have been on loan two seasons ago. Once Kean starts scoring and there is no way back for DCL as a starter his career as a Premier League player will be over. He'll need to either accept fleeting performances off the bench (until we sign a better replacement), or drop down a division. Silva, unwittingly, has done him in with how he's been handled. Made him our number 9 (haha) striker and shown the world that he's nowhere near up to it. Who would want to buy him now?

My reaction to DCL is kneejerk because that Villa miss was crucial and an absolute sitter, I can't defend him or have any reason in my mind for wanting him to start another game this season, Kean is still young and very inexperienced in the Premiership but his skill ceiling his way higher and has done more than DCL has on the pitch in a shorter amount of time, He easily could have 1 goal against Watford and 1 assist until Walcott fluffed it.
I've been trying to keep positive on DCL all last season while people were tearing him to bits but that miss was the nail in the coffin for me. We can't keep chancing it on him unless he begins to prove he can step up.

I mean, scores that and the score is still 2-1...

Villa miss was bad but unfortunately his only opportunity of the game. Top strikers have a conversion rate of what, 20%? Score every 5 chances? We as a team need to start creating chances for our strikers which we haven’t done for years and even for Kean we’ll have to start.

From the small cameo Iwobi gave I have hope he’ll be the one looking to get balls into the box for whoever starts up front & I hope that translates into more chances and therefore more goals for Kean and DCL.

Those calling for Tosun to start are suffering from the ol’ “get better the longer they don’t play” syndrome and after 20 minutes of him being miles behind the play in all our counter-attacks you’ll have a lightbulb moment that he wasn’t the better option.

Villa miss was bad but unfortunately his only opportunity of the game. Top strikers have a conversion rate of what, 20%? Score every 5 chances? We as a team need to start creating chances for our strikers which we haven’t done for years and even for Kean we’ll have to start.

From the small cameo Iwobi gave I have hope he’ll be the one looking to get balls into the box for whoever starts up front & I hope that translates into more chances and therefore more goals for Kean and DCL.

Those calling for Tosun to start are suffering from the ol’ “get better the longer they don’t play” syndrome and after 20 minutes of him being miles behind the play in all our counter-attacks you’ll have a lightbulb moment that he wasn’t the better option.

DCL gets so few chances and that isn't down to a lack of creativity. It's his inability to sense opportunities. We aren't any less creative than when Lukaku was here, just look at the difference in the goal return.

Then you've got the unfortunate occurrence that when he actually does find himself in a position to score he usually misses. Would you be confident with him in on goal?

But he's not come close to scoring in his last 5 chances, a few proper sitters in there aswell.

Nice lad or not, simply Not good enough and never will be, the experiment failed time to move on

But he's not come close to scoring in his last 5 chances, a few proper sitters in there aswell.

Nice lad or not, simply Not good enough and never will be, the experiment failed time to move on

I never said he was a top striker I’m just saying statistically it takes your Salah’s 1 in 5 to score so for someone at DCL’s level it takes more chances and we as a team create naff all.

And @dannyboy we certainly are less creative in my opinion. We’re 3 game’s in and we’ve scored 1 goal with a solo effort from Bernard. We’ve got Bernard, DCL, Kean, Richy, Walcott, Iwobi and Sig on the pitch to score and assist and they’ve all been woeful in the attacking third so far this season. It’s a massive worry for me personally on a team level and I don’t feel like all the ire should be aimed at DCL for one miss when no one is pulling their weight.

I never said he was a top striker I’m just saying statistically it takes your Salah’s 1 in 5 to score so for someone at DCL’s level it takes more chances and we as a team create naff all.

And @dannyboy we certainly are less creative in my opinion. We’re 3 game’s in and we’ve scored 1 goal with a solo effort from Bernard. We’ve got Bernard, DCL, Kean, Richy, Walcott, Iwobi and Sig on the pitch to score and assist and they’ve all been woeful in the attacking third so far this season. It’s a massive worry for me personally on a team level and I don’t feel like all the ire should be aimed at DCL for one miss when no one is pulling their weight.
He had 9 or 10 games in a team playing well and attacking well at the back end of last season and still came nowhere near scoring a goal or offering any sort of threat.

It's over my old chum

I think the attack transforms when we play someone better through the middle. You can't underestimate how important that role is. DCL is at his best when we he can be a defensive forward chasing everything down against the top teams. In other games he's just an easy scalp for opposition defenders.

To be fair, when does he ever pull off the shoulder of the defender and make those runs in behind to even give anyone a chance of slotting him through on goal? You can’t play the entire game with your back to goal and expect chances to just land on a plate for you.

To be fair, when does he ever pull off the shoulder of the defender and make those runs in behind to even give anyone a chance of slotting him through on goal? You can’t play the entire game with your back to goal and expect chances to just land on a plate for you.

He doesn’t do it enough but he still does. Part of me thinks he doesn’t recognise how quick he is. I know the level is lower but he does it more often for England than Everton.

@dannyboy I agree it’s a really important role and I still want Kean starting long term but I’m still worried about our attack as a whole with/without DCL.

My biggest issue with Silva and this team is we shoehorn an attacking glacier like Sigurdsson into the team but then predictably spend 90% of the game on the wings faffing about.

I know he's not being helped by those around him, and absolutely not being helped by the manager who must surely be aware of all the criticism of DCL flying around. Any manager worth their salt would take him out of the firing line after his performances. If he, as expected, continued to stink out the gaff and if the fans get even more on his back, it has the potential to destroy the lad. He could still come good though - I think he could prove himself to be an astute signing for a Championship club and forge a good career in that division.

Our January target simply has to be getting in another striker to, at the very minimum, compete with DCL for a squad space.

I know he's not being helped by those around him, and absolutely not being helped by the manager who must surely be aware of all the criticism of DCL flying around. Any manager worth their salt would take him out of the firing line after his performances. If he, as expected, continued to stink out the gaff and if the fans get even more on his back, it has the potential to destroy the lad. He could still come good though - I think he could prove himself to be an astute signing for a Championship club and forge a good career in that division.

Our January target simply has to be getting in another striker to, at the very minimum, compete with DCL for a squad space.

One of our January targets should be to get as much money as we can for him and bring in another striker.

As @sageyefc says it`s over for him.

He doesn`t score when the teams playing well and he doesn`t score when the teams playing poorly.

Admittedly, through no fault of his own, he`s had more than enough game time to prove that he`s worthy of that number 9 shirt.

Sadly, it`s self evident that he never will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back